Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Teslarati posted an image this morning of the Model Y Biodefense HEPA filter in China, behind the frunk and clearly much more accessible than earlier versions. I believe this bodes well for the Cybertruck as its frunk will no doubt be much larger and there will be even more room behind the frunk than in the Model Y or Model X. Having it accessible will be important for truck owners.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-bioweapon-defense-mode-hepa-filter-first-look/

Tesla Cybertruck Model Y Biodefense Mode Hepa Filter bodes well for Cybertruck 1609790530333

Tesla Cybertruck Model Y Biodefense Mode Hepa Filter bodes well for Cybertruck simon-alvarez-avatar-80x80

BySimon Alvarez
Posted on January 4, 2021

It appears that the Tesla Model Y’s HEPA filter is quite sizable, and it is also designed in such a way that replacing it would not be a complicated affair. This was hinted at in an image recently shared by a Tesla enthusiast from China, who was fortunate enough to take a photo of the all-electric crossover’s HEPA filter.

As could be seen in the image, which was posted by u/xiaoteshushu at the r/TeslaMotors subreddit, the Model Y’s HEPA filter is installed just behind the all-electric crossover’s frunk. This would likely make the vehicle easier to service compared to its larger sibling, the Model X, which Members of the Tesla community have observed that the Model Y’s HEPA filter is quite large and close to the size of the filter found in the Model X, a vehicle that is significantly larger. The size of the component itself also highlights Elon Musk’s previous statements about the Model 3 not having enough space for a hospital-grade HEPA filter such as those found in the Model S and Model X. requires some disassembly of the frunk area when its HEPA filter is replaced.

Thanks to its HEPA filter, the Model Y in China has been introduced with a Bioweapon Defense Mode feature. The function, which has been invaluable in areas that are extremely polluted, would likely become one of the key selling points for the all-electric crossover. Teslas are already perceived as a status symbol of sorts in China, and having such a feature would likely make the Model Y a much-desired vehicle for growing families living in populated areas like Beijing and Shanghai.

The launch of the Gigafactory Shanghai-produced Model Y has been quite successful, with reports from the local EV community showing groups of people lining up outside Tesla stores to get a glimpse and perhaps even order the all-electric crossover. Reports have also emerged stating that the orders for the Model Y have been so notable that Tesla China’s website ended up overwhelmed during the day of the vehicle’s launch.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The article talks about the filter and bio-defense mode in the Model Y China version.

Does the US version of the Model Y have the large HEPA filter?

Does the US version of the Model Y have Bio-defense mode?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
last I heard, only the x had it, maybe higher priced s too? but i also dont pay attention.

on a related note, I put a "hepa" filter in my prius when the fires were bad, it seemed to help alot as it is rated for the pm2.5 particulates

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The article talks about the filter and bio-defense mode in the Model Y China version.

Does the US version of the Model Y have the large HEPA filter?

Does the US version of the Model Y have Bio-defense mode?
No, but everything we have here has ended up there and vice versa. My point wasn’t so much about the Model Y but about how accessible the hepa filter is in the Model Y and that that is a good thing for the Cybertruck.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Thanks and sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I would be surprised if the Cybertruck DIDN’T come with a Biodefense HEPA filter. The filter matches the apocalypse theme of the truck.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I saw one Musk response to a tweet asking if CT will have Biodefense mode. His answer was a cryptic “partially”.

CyberKeggy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a cybertruck.....yet!
Country flag
I saw one Musk response to a tweet asking if CT will have Biodefense mode. His answer was a cryptic “partially”.
I wonder if that means it will have the filter but not the actual Biodefense mode option on the touchscreen.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I wonder if that means it will have the filter but not the actual Biodefense mode option on the touchscreen.
That they put one in the Model Y and their rationale for not putting it in the Model 3 was space, I would say it will be in the CT.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
According to the configurator Models S and X both have the HEPA filter but not Bio Defense, I wonder if the press is just assuming or if there is a Bio Defense mode or if its just for China

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I heard one theory that what he meant by "partially" was that it will be available in the cab, but not in the vault. Again, just a theory.
He said in answer to a question about hvac in the bed (battery day) that they would try. If they did/do how could they limit it regular air if there is a bio defense mode for hvac? Maybe they would have to close off the bed first?
Sponsored