Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Frankly, the fact that they are having such difficulty actually makes me feel safer and bolder with my CT.

FrostyCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 MustangGT-700rwhp, 21' & 22' M3 LR, CT res.
Occupation
Self employed - refrigeration service
Country flag
What about recyclability?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What about recyclability?
Tesla would know the kinds of solvents which would work; and the metals are usually chopped up then sifted, dissolved, melted, and reformed. When you recycle a pack, you usually don't care if the parts remain functional, but they do, here.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla would know the kinds of solvents which would work; and the metals are usually chopped up then sifted, dissolved, melted, and reformed. When you recycle a pack, you usually don't care if the parts remain functional, but they do, here.

-Crissa

Yup, Elon backs Crissa that pack will be recyclable.

---------------

Tweets Conversation ALEX @ajtourville
To those DMing me about how @Tesla 's 4680 Structural Pack is non-recyclable or of low-recyclability: I believe you are incorrect. The battery pack seems to be designed for easy large-scale recycling of active materials via the bottom of the pack, not via the top cover.

@elonmusk Elon Musk @elonmusk
3:39 PM · Jul 12, 2022
Replying to @ajtourville and @Tesla

No problem to recycle the 4680 pack. Just think of any battery pack as super high grade ore –
it is always better to start with high grade ore than low grade!

---------------

Tesla

First Name
Elon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicles
Roadster, Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
98% of cars end up in the landfill. The 4860 pack will be removable, replaceable and recyclable.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
98% of cars end up in the landfill. The 4860 pack will be removable, replaceable and recyclable.

Not 98% of whole cars. Maybe some small part of 98% of whole cars end up in landfill.

------------------

Recycling Cars in the Modern World - Sullivan Foundation
9 Sept 2020
https://sullivanfdn.org/recycling-cars/

How many cars are recycled each year in the US? Answer: 12 million vehicles

It also turns out Americans are really good at recycling cars. In fact, cars are the most recycled item in the country, with around 12 million vehicles being recycled each year. Every year, car recycling in North America produces enough steel to produce 13 million new vehicles and saves about 85 million barrels of oil.

Recycling cars is not new. The Automotive Recyclers Association (ARA) was established in 1943 and is “an international trade association that represents an industry dedicated to the efficient removal and reuse of automotive parts and the safe disposal of inoperable motor vehicles.” Car recycling is a massive worldwide industry, and recycling technologies and techniques have developed in parallel with the technologies of the manufacturing industry.

The Benefits of Recycling Cars The environmental impact is obvious. To manufacture one large car creates about 55 gallons of dangerous waste. According to a report by the State of Washington Department of Ecology, recycling saves on an annual basis around: 8 million gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel 24 million gallons of motor oil 8 million gallons of engine coolant 5 million gallons of windshield washer fluid 96% of all lead-acid batteries In addition to reducing dangerous waste, around 18 million tons of steel is recycled from ELV’s on an annual basis. If you take into account that every ton of steel that’s recycled conserves about 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone, it becomes clear that recycling cars definitely makes a big impact.

The environmental impact is not the only benefit.
I looked for a car recycling service to get the inside scoop, and I ended up making contact with the SellMax (https://sellmax.com/california/san-diego-cash-for-cars) office in San Diego to find out more about the economic benefits of car recycling and to speak about the industry.

SellMax website lists an impressive collection of statistics:

* In addition to its environmental impact, the car recycling industry generates over $25 billion a year in revenue. That’s a lot of money—and a lot of jobs!

* It also turns out Americans are really good at recycling cars. In fact, cars are the most recycled item in the country, with around 12 million vehicles being recycled each year.

* Every year, car recycling in North America produces enough steel to produce 13 million new vehicles and saves about 85 million barrels of oil.

------------------

Eurostat - End-of-life vehicle statistics
Data extracted in November 2021. Planned article update: October 2022
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=End-of-life_vehicle_statistics

6.1 million passenger cars, vans and other light goods vehicles were scrapped in the EU in 2019.

The total weight of passenger cars, vans and other light goods vehicles scrapped in the EU in 2019 was 6.9 million tonnes; 95.1 % of the parts and materials were reused and recovered, while 89.6 % were reused and recycled.

------------------

WorldAutoSteel - Recycling
https://www.worldautosteel.org/life-cycle-thinking/recycling

Steel and iron components make up around 65% of the average vehicle. Once all fluids have been drained and reusable parts removed from an automobile, scrap processors shred it and sell the valuable ferrous material to steel mills. The average recycling rate for steel and iron in cars is about 90%.

------------------

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

-Crissa
Also, they always had some kind of goop (you can quote me on that) between the cells and other goop above and below. It was just easier to remove the top cover and the goop before. I am sure that you are correct about them knowing how to get to the metals. As Cory was talking about the trouble they are having it occurred to me that repair would be impossible but I agree with @FutureBoy that this is a good thing. No one was ever going to repair a battery pack anyway.

OP
OP
Zabhawkin

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
No one was ever going to repair a battery pack anyway.
Really? Even someone like me who customizes their own cars, has a degree in Electrical Engineering, and works with significantly higher voltages.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Really? Even someone like me who customizes their own cars, has a degree in Electrical Engineering, and works with significantly higher voltages.
Yeah, rebuilding a pack is a pain, you need to find cells that are all the same age.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Yeah, rebuilding a pack is a pain, you need to find cells that are all the same age.

-Crissa
There are people who spend three times what a car is worth restoring it, hunting down parts from the same year, trying to find matching interior colors, etc.
Does not see so far fetched considering what they go thru to restore a car as it would be to dismantle a pack and rebuild it... at some point, but hopefully that will not be needed anytime soon.
Sponsored