shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/volkswagen-id-buzz-spied-nearly-naked

https://www.motor1.com/news/551673/vw-id-buzz-spied-undisguised/

Still bland, the seating position is weird, and the roof is still very square.

But looking slightly better.

-Crissa
Meh…not the ID.Buzz concept

Owned EuroVan. Loved it. VW have simply repeated the Eurovan to my eye. It probably repeats the footaching accel pedal seated position too.

This is Deiss’ problem getting an exceedingly conservative VW management to risk changing what has worked so well for the brand. Perfectly amazing ID.Buzz concept van comes out the end of the VW factory looking like the last VW van it produced.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
?

Trash.

How could anyone consider this an homage to their classic van styling. This is more an homage to those pug nosed japanese cargo vans that were an abomination to the road they travelled.

Tesla Cybertruck More photos of the ID Buzz 1200px-Nissan_Vanette_001

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
what happened to the cool design i saw a couple years ago? :rolleyes:

1638816033009.png
Wifey wanted this and was pumped about buying it as soon as it became available. She saw what the ID.5 cargo van version looked like and exclaimed it was a "rape van" and was incredibly disappointed in the direction it was taken. There was no way she was going to buy it if it looked like the cargo van. Well now she has seen the latest iteration and claims it still looks way too "rapey". =\

Last edited:

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
?

Trash.

How could anyone consider this an homage to their classic van styling. This is more an homage to those pug nosed japanese cargo vans that were an abomination to the road they travelled.

1200px-Nissan_Vanette_001.jpg
That's because we didn't get the good ones imported...

Tesla Cybertruck More photos of the ID Buzz IMG_5918
Tesla Cybertruck More photos of the ID Buzz 3pO1VxgZ.Zm3lCteCl-(edit)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The front end just looks like a mess compared to the prototype. The Door handles over-sized and clumsy.

It’s just a generic looking van.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That's because we didn't get the good ones imported...

IMG_5918.jpg
3pO1VxgZ.Zm3lCteCl-(edit).jpg
There is one major problem with designing a vehicle like those, and the original VW bus that I used to drive.

SAFETY, Driving a vehicle with the front tire under your butt is not safe. A lot of cars that were built years ago would not pass current safety standards. Which is fine with me, but I don't agree with the stance some states are taking about not allowing those vehicles you have in these photos to be grandfathered in. Next thing you know, they wouldn't allow Jed Clampett to drive his old truck on public streets.

Back to the ID Buzz. It reminds me of what Elon said during the drive with Jay Leno. This thing is TERRIBLE!!!

"At Tesla we always want to have the production car be better than the show car. It always drove me crazy when manufacturers would come out with this cool looking show car and then the actual production car would be way worse. You're like man, you got us all excited about this sweet looking car, and then the production one is terrible. We won't do show cars, that aren't real."
Elon Musk.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
theres always that thing they have to do... balance unique cool design with what is known to actually sell and ease of manufacturing.

or of course you could roll tesla style and fix both problems

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, part of the problem is that it doesn't have the cute grill and paint job. If the bumper didn't have the weird black-out segments, it'd look far more similar.

The other is that is seems to be using parts for the windows, dash, and roofline from existing vehicles. I'm not sure why it looks like it has an entire engine compartment on it, either, and the driver is seated so far back when the crumple zone is below.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Well, part of the problem is that it doesn't have the cute grill and paint job. If the bumper didn't have the weird black-out segments, it'd look far more similar.

The other is that is seems to be using parts for the windows, dash, and roofline from existing vehicles. I'm not sure why it looks like it has an entire engine compartment on it, either, and the driver is seated so far back when the crumple zone is below.

-Crissa
Yeah, the front end was so clean in the mock up I’m not sure why they screwed with it. I understand the headlights, but the grill and inset/ black area in the bumper area is pointless and kind of gross. I don’t think just painting it will fix that.

There is a bump and hood on it too. Maybe a frunk?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Yeah, the prototype I was torn on vs CT, it could hold a sheet of plywood. And it had a cool tip of the hat to the original.

This is bufugly, not interested.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I admit that the VW prototype was at least pretty enough to look at. But this new version is really bland and forgettable.

Tesla Cybertruck More photos of the ID Buzz 1638920887451

And why is the driver sitting behind the front wheels? Is this just for crumple zone? Is there anything in the front other than a frunk?

Whatever happened to at least adding some interesting features.

Tesla Cybertruck More photos of the ID Buzz 1638920825795
Sponsored