Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
FORD Lightning article by Artechnica writer, so impressed by a one-time drive, gave it headline treatment. I am on record liking the Lightning design integration and innovations added to the pickup form factor. Lightning sales win FORD “Happy Days”. It‘s FORD EV narrative. It’s effective design tweaks have its GOAT pickup surfing the next big wave.

Tesla EV first principles engineering and futuristic exo-design Cybertruck doubles-down on Inspiration. Since Tesla first revealed Cybertruck November of 2019, much has transpired. Global pandemic is in its fourth year exceeding 6M COVID deaths worldwide, employment disrupted everyone including Tesla. Subtext to pandemic, global warming continues unsubsided as its impacts lean planet earth toward 1.5°C, even the state of N.M. can attest and Portland OR agrees. California backcountry already burned but Laguna Nigel CA residents weren’t saved from wildfire. “What happens in Vegas - stays in Las Vegas” doesn’t hold water anymore as Lake Mead drains toward “low pool” at Hoover dam. (Will the lights go out in GA🎶🎶)

Elon Musk’s vision, foresight and first principles Cybertruck is a “good” thing. In the case now before the world its turned prescient. People can see there’s a special operation going-on, civilians have a need for 16” ground clearance, 500mi. range, bulletproof exoskeleton and non-global warming car – all the better it is a truck. Tesla’s Cybertruck will be right “on-the-nose” messaging without needing to utter so much as a single word when released in 2023.

How important is the distinction that Tesla’s truck is Cyber? Starlink is proving in Ukraine that which can’t surf what is around the bend, is any animal, GOAT or otherwise, not built for the unpredictable. Like Vegas, Happy Days, Hoover dam and under equipped others, all are unfortunately stranded assets. Hydrologic engineers have a term for water that no longer runs — “dead pool” - fits!
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This 'article' seems like a mish mash of ideas, which makes me think that the source author is questionable - it is certainly not coherently written. I do not see much pro-Lightning here but the general consensus is that the Lightning is a good thing. I just hope that Ford gets them out in customer's hands and can make a profit on their sale while keeping them affordable (and of course that they make good on all the specs).

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wow. Someone must have been drunk, high, or both while trying to write about a... Lightning?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Country flag
I think the 'important' about the Lightning is that it's being delivered at all. It shows a major automaker beginning to convert their most profitable product to EV with something that's in nearly all ways a superior product.

-Crissa
Not just any automaker and product, but the best selling product in America for a very long time. This year they are getting the early adopters and the I’m specials. If reviews can hold up over the next year and they see the same level of success next year and after as they further transition the F150, the 2022 Lightning will have been the most important EV of the 2020s.

If Tesla had gotten the CT out on time or Rivian had scaled up quickly, they may have had some arguable claim to the title, but there is no ignoring that electrifying the F150 is a major turning point for the automotive industry.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Kind of daft posting any article that says “of the decade” when you are on year 2.

There is a growing “Any EV but Tesla“ crowd, which rallies around anything significant any EV maker other than Tesla releases. A lot of people in the auto media have latched onto these guys because the auto media largely hates Teslas no advertising, no favoritism, no PR department way of doing business.

If I were to crown an EV the most influential, I’d start by asking why Ford made the Lightning at all.

The runaway success of the Model Y has the industry scared. It and the Model 3 have moved the legacy auto industry into the next era. Hard to say which was most influential. M3 was first, but the MY is IMO scarier to auto execs.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
If reviews can hold up over the next year and they see the same level of success next year and after as they further transition the F150, the 2022 Lightning will have been the most important EV of the 2020s.
We're still in 2022. Making a prediction about the most important EV of the 2020s...??!? I'll take the under. I own a Model 3, I want a CT and I wouldn't be surprised if the most important EV of the 2020s is still on some drawing board somewhere. The most important EV will be the one that allows for mass adoption. The F150 Lightning and even the CT will not be everyday vehicles, hell, they'll even be niche for truck owners. Sure, I'm a fanboy but this idea that an EV truck will replace regular trucks in this decade is wishful thinking. They don't YET have the charge capacity and/or charge rate for towing, they don't have the attention of the average use, they don't have the price point either.

I doubt VW will pull off another Beetle revolution but something akin to that or a Model T or Honda Civic will be the most important EV of the 2020s.
Sponsored