First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I’m not the one for you,
My god you do go on and on and on, so In the interest of brevity, I found one point to quote ... and I wholeheartedly agree. :)
Sponsored

restyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5
Country flag
....As a Tesla stockholder I bought the stock with expectation it was a primary focus for Elon.
Having missed the opportunity of buying 'cheaply' into Tesla stock a few years ago, I'd been eagerly waiting for Musk to cock-up bigtime like Ratner did, thus bringing the price down to a more investable level.
Thing is, it seems he's trying to outdo his previous cock-ups every other day, so I'll probably give it a few weeks till the stocks below $100 before buying in.

It reminds me a bit of 'Brewsters Millions' - has he made some stupid bet with Bezos where he has to secretly lose $100Bn in a couple of months in order to win a golden Spaceking Crown?

Having said that, I'm still hanging on for a smaller European version of CT, where the body is made of lightweight deformable aluminium or GRP (parking in small spaces far outweighs bulletproofness over here)
:)

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Having missed the opportunity of buying 'cheaply' into Tesla stock a few years ago, I'd been eagerly waiting for Musk to cock-up bigtime like Ratner did, thus bringing the price down to a more investable level.
Thing is, it seems he's trying to outdo his previous cock-ups every other day, so I'll probably give it a few weeks till the stocks below $100 before buying in.
-----------------------------------

Gerald Ratner should have listened to his wife.

Published 2021 Jul 14 ** way before Elon's bid to buy Twitter

One Offhanded Joke Cost This Business $1.8 Billion in 10 Seconds
And today, “doing a Ratner” is in the dictionary

The Downfall
Ratners Group's stock plunged by £500 million (US$1.8 billion) within days after the speech, and by the end of 1991, it had dropped by 80%. Ratner’s stores began closing by the hundreds a year following his speech, resulting in the loss of thousands of jobs.

Gerald Ratner left the company in November 1992, and the firm was rebranded itself as the “Signet Group” in 2002, in an effort to dissociate itself from Ratner.

Ratner’s narrative is a good analogy in an age where tweet-centered CEOs like Elon Musk are equipped with massive digital audiences to whom they may instantaneously broadcast.

The expression “doing a Ratner” is now British slang for when someone says something idiotic that discredits their own product or clients, which happens far more frequently than it should.

------------

Gerald Ratner speaking at the 1991 Institute of Directors Annual Convention
Gerald Ratner, Founder of Gerald Online and former Chairman and Chief Executive of the Ratner Group delivers his now infamous speech to the Institute of Directors 1991 Annual Convention at the Royal Albert Hall, London.
May 3, 2013
Institute of Directors (IoD)

------

How a CEO's three lame jokes cost his company $4 billion, his job and his inherited fortune.
Gerald Ratner inherited The Ratner Group, which owned over a thousand successful low-cost jewelry stores across the U.S. and UK called Ratners.
Aug 25, 2022
By Mark Frauenfelder
https://boingboing.net/2022/08/25/how-a-ceos-three-lame-jokes-cost-his-company-4-billion.html

He showed the revised speech to his wife, and she told him to nix the jokes he'd inserted. He didn't. Big mistake — it cost him his career and his fortune.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

It reminds me a bit of 'Brewsters Millions' - has he made some stupid bet with Bezos where he has to secretly lose $100Bn in a couple of months in order to win a golden Spaceking Crown?

Having said that, I'm still hanging on for a smaller European version of CT, where the body is made of lightweight deformable aluminium or GRP (parking in small spaces far outweighs bulletproofness over here)
:)
Elon has many companies, with several goals.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Fact is, there are equally or more impactful energetic genius out there, who the public fails to know or idolize to the same degree as Elon only because those others aren’t pop-culture narcissists like Elon.
OK, name one genius "out there" that you think is more impactful than Elon Musk.

Just one.

I'll remind you that he is the primary motivator behind electrifying the entire auto industry when they said;

It was not practical, batteries were not good enough, consumers didn't want EV's and it would be unprofitable. He went up against big oil and big auto and won.

Also, he dropped the cost of putting satellites and people into orbit by a factor of over 10. That alone is more impactful than many know. He lands orbital rockets on drone ships fer crying out loud!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So Elon can do much better than Ratner, he can tank several companies at once.
Last I checked, Twitter had more active users than ever, Tesla was the most profitable car company making cars in volume (not EV's mind you, any kind of car) and Las Vegas was so impressed with the tunnel The Boring Company installed for the city they expanded the contract 10 fold to include the entire strip, airport, etc..

I don't see a single one of his companies tanking. If you are referring to TSLA stock price, all I can say if you must not understand the stock market. TSLA is worth 15 times what it was worth in June of 2019 and SpaceX is the fastest growing space company in existance with public and private contracts worth billions and growing every year.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
OK, name one genius "out there" that you think is more impactful than Elon Musk.

Just one.
The problem with your “challenge,” is that it’s already so value-laden with what *you* view as “important.” So, I could name people who, for example, have contributed to saving innumerable actual lives *today* in changing the paradigms of medicine, physics, mathematics, etc., and - I suspect - your response will amount to something along the lines of “but is it a cool, fast, car!?!”

Case in point…

I'll remind you that he is the primary motivator behind electrifying the entire auto industry when they said…

Thing is, even on the topic of electrifying the auto industry, there are people who study the topic and think Musk has done just as much to hurt the environment and social perceptions of electric vehicles.

Their positions I’m not here to agree with or argue on behalf of, but raise it instead only point out that kool-aid is so all encompassing it seems a waste of time to try and point out the attendant calories and dyes …

In all, that *you* can’t name one, was exactly the point

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
So Elon can do much better than Ratner, he can tank several companies at once.
which company just tanking - all are growing and making huge profit. if you're narrowly viewing stock, the tech market overall is hurting, not just Tesla. And SpaceX is private. and Twitter needed to be gutted to be rebuilt.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
The problem with your “challenge,” is that it’s already so value-laden with what *you* view as “important.” So, I could name people who, for example, have contributed to saving innumerable actual lives *today* in changing the paradigms of medicine, physics, mathematics, etc., and - I suspect - your response will amount to something along the lines of “but is it a cool, fast, car!?!”

Case in point…

Thing is, even on the topic of electrifying the auto industry, there are people who study the topic and think Musk has done just as much to hurt the environment and social perceptions of electric vehicles.

Their positions I’m not here to agree with or argue on behalf of, but raise it instead only point out that kool-aid is so all encompassing it seems a waste of time to try and point out the attendant calories and dyes …

In all, that *you* can’t name one, was exactly the point
those interested in hurting the EV vehicle are those that have a vested interest in them not succeeding. Tesla was bashed long before now, simply because they were electric.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
those interested in hurting the EV vehicle are those that have a vested interest in them not succeeding. Tesla was bashed long before now, simply because they were electric.
that’s if course also true, but just to clarify I was vaguely referring to those that are very much pro EV, very much sighted on reducing emissions, and moving the planet toward more sustainable methods of transportation.

again, I’m not the expert and not here to defend their views, but I have read (from people such as those described above and who are experts) compelling arguments that the paradigm of EV’s Musk has established are not the optimum paradigms we might have hoped for if rooting for the future if EVs, lowered emissions, etc. Vaguely (and here again not attempting to make any compelling argument myself), the Musk-esqu paradigms being critiqued are, e.g., altogether bypassing (and jaundicing) the relative benefits of dual-fuel vehicles, placing marketing premiums on speed and torque over efficiency, a focus on single-driver vehicles over public transportation, etc., etc., etc.

The counter to these types of critiques may be, “humans - especially Americans - are too stupid and lazy to get behind what are actually and obviously the most efficient and cost-effective versions of EVs and transportation, so Musk had to play “cool car guy” to get the fat part of the bell curve on board with any EVs.”

All of these critiques and defenses of Musk I’ve only raised not to get into, but only to inject some available disputes around earlier suggestions that Musk’s contributions to EVs are somehow self-evident proof of his unblemished contributions to mankind. Reasonable and informed people (without a fossil fuel agenda) disagree.

To be fair, probably anyone in the running for “more influential” than Musk would similarly be subject to all kinds of valid critiques. Kary Mullis comes to mind: he “dreamt” up PCR while tripping on LCD (he’d synthesized himself, per custom), arguably the most important scientific invention of the 20th century, changing overnight almost everything in medicine, agriculture, epidemiology, archeology, criminal justice (and actual innocence), etc., etc.; he meanwhile, however, had some rather embarrassing views of topics outside his expertise as well.

Though, Kary Mullis was a relative recluse who sought no fame nor position of broad social influence.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

Just one.

I'll remind you that he is the primary motivator behind electrifying the entire auto industry when they said;

It was not practical, batteries were not good enough, consumers didn't want EV's and it would be unprofitable. He went up against big oil and big auto and won.

Also, he dropped the cost of putting satellites and people into orbit by a factor of over 10. That alone is more impactful than many know. He lands orbital rockets on drone ships fer crying out loud!
Being a genius in a couple businesses does not preclude you from being a complete moron in every other aspect of your life, or any other businesses you are involved in.

Dude is a moron. People on here worship him. His shit stinks like the rest of us. Frat boy attitude is cool in your early 20's. Its just plain annoying in your 50's.

OP
OP

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Being a genius in a couple businesses does not preclude you from being a complete moron in every other aspect of your life, or any other businesses you are involved in.

Dude is a moron. People on here worship him. His shit stinks like the rest of us. Frat boy attitude is cool in your early 20's. Its just plain annoying in your 50's.
I know a number of Americans that celebrate Musk because he is showing America how to gain back the manufacturing edge that they lost decades ago with the Japanese auto invasion of the 1970's. Japan was able to do that because American manufacturers had a lacksidasial attitude towards employing state-of-the-art technologies and manufacturing techniques to improve quality and reduce costs. Manufacturing is more important to our quality of life than most people realize.

I don't celebrate geniuses for the sake of their brilliance, I celebrate people who do the hard work and risk everything to make real differences in the world. Smartness doesn't improve the world, taking action does. The world is full of geniuses that have never accomplished anything in their lives.

I think exceptionalism is worth celebrating and I have a "homework" assignment for those who disagree:

Set aside two hours and watch the movie "Idiocracy". It's a light-hearted look at the path we are on without people like Elon Musk.

Note: the movie is not about Musk, nor does it mention him.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.