cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Who said those are factory installed options? You think your CT is going to be delivered with the roof rack on it? Or it will be unassembled? I think most of those accessories will be un assembled.
you’d think wrong, at least for the foreseeable future - if only with respect to the accessories that will add material weight (the point of discussion here)
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
you guys aren’t understanding musks comments

first, he’s stating a range in between which the vehicle’s fall. 6000 to 7000 pounds is the range in which the weight of both versions fall

Second, he’s saying that exactly where they fall in that range depends on what options you choose, not just trim level, but things like wheel sets, and racks and light bars, and other things that are options that are heavy.
That’s vehicle weight only. That’s not gross weight.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
That’s vehicle weight only. That’s not gross weight.
I say “you’re not understanding what he’s saying,” you say “yes I do”

ok

but you don’t

EDIT TO ADD: that is, if you’re amongst the folks suggesting that Musk’s comments mean one version is 7Klb, while the other version is 6Klb - there’ll be a couple hundred pound differ nice in curb weight between the two, those weights each being “between” 6-7k lb (per Musk) but nearer to 7Klb (per Musk)

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So they are going to load the truck on a transport with the roof rack on it. That’s not going to happen.
because SUVs don’t fit in transports?

they go by stork?

In any event, re-read my prior comments (edited moments after I posted it)

also, are you just imagining what you think a Tesla roof rack is going to look like?

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
There is a fine line between company-installed accessories and accessories, but options are installed at the factory. I have no idea how Tesla will do it with the Cybertruck but historically their options are wheel types, seat colors, and paint colors, all of which would be factory installs. Performance trims have different suspension and brakes and those are also factory installs. Tesla recently started offering trunk motors on Model 3s and that is done at service centers. I suspect that they will go the same way with the items you mentioned.
There are standard vehicle options like wraps or suspension or brakes or colors etc. that’s not what the accessories team is for. They are making things for camping, racing, working, hauling etc. I think all that accessories team stuff is going to be owner installed. Or it will be 4x what it should cost and they will have local service centers install it.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
There are standard vehicle options like wraps or suspension or brakes or colors etc. that’s not what the accessories team is for. They are making things for camping, racing, working, hauling etc. I think all that accessories team stuff is going to be owner installed. Or it will be 4x what it should cost and they will have local service centers install it.
you don’t understand items that are within the slate of ‘accessories’

or that several (many) will be factory installed only

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
That’s a lot of cells. Ooof. I bet Tesla would rather build more trucks than use cell supply for larger packs.
This would be true *once* production is ramped up. Until then, the more profitable tri-motor would generate both more revenue and profit for Tesla. This assumes of course batteries are not a constraint. I tend to wonder how many 4680's have been stockpiled. Realistically every single one produced after the initial Model Y variant that used them stopped being produced and should be stockpiled. Could be a rather large stash.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I drew my conclusion from Rogan/Elon podcast comments about the weight of cybertruck being added to the VIN GVWR info. Just trying to solve the puzzle before delivery event.

Rogan: How much does the cybertruck weight?
Elon: Ahhh it depends on the configuration but i dont know, its about 7000 pounds. There are several versions but 6 7 thousand pounds. Its its like similar to, its like a heavy duty truck
Rogan: like a f250 or something like that
Elon: Yeah

True, I inappropriately took this as 1000 pound difference in the low range to longest range versions considering batteries are the main weight difference and +1 motor. This was the first talk about 'curb' weight and I got excited, sorry.

Others have pointed out that options could also change the curb weight with different wheels/tires, and etc. I would think that optional wheels and midgate lol would be part of curb weight but things like a rooftop lightbar, tailgate ramp, winch, and shielded mini gun turret would just be considered payload if they were removable. My lack of real truck experience is starting to show but it seems like grey territory if an accessory is curb or cargo/payload.

If "removable accessories" count towards curb weight, and Elon just gave about a 1000 pound range, it could be one pack size with another motor and just loaded up with accessories.

Getting the weight of a cybertruck without pack and Cd would give us an idea of what's possible on range currently. Crr is another guestimate but based on what I've calculated for the Rivian's 21" road tire, they are about 10% higher than MX LR on 20s.

I might be starting to lose it. Can we talk about the mail?

charlie-day-pepe-silvia.gif
lol. I know the feeling sometimes. 😜

What is the percentage of range loss due to rolling resistance/Crr in your calculations? These ratios are highly dependent on the vehicle velocity you use, as aero drag force is squared with velocity. So depending on what velocities you use in the comparison you will find that the mass plays a less critical roll in calculating comparing ranges between vehicles. Tyres/rolling resistance are also pretty tyre specific, so I'm sure that Telsa has been optimising these as well, meaning mass plays a lesser role again.

Really we should start that dedicated performance thread? We could just do a thread or two, or spin up a site to display the data? Or maybe just share a spreadsheet to collaborate on first?

My question is just how far we should go before official release and how we should display the results.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
First, you're forgetting the Tesla ‘accessories’ team for the CT
Wait, that fraud MDR was telling the truth?! lol

Third: there is not separate, heavier, pack for the ‘performance’ trim - identical pack, slightly less range (same as with the Model S vs Model S Plaid)

*this* above, is ‘the Tesla way’ as relates to the CT
If four was "The pack size will be the same as the MS/MS" I was going to punch you in the face. lol

"Performance" is that airport spotted cybertruck with the guts of the frunk showing? VIN was a dual motor and H-rated. Higher payload/towing numbers and more to insure than the "Standard" cybertruck. Maybe it has another gadget or just a different tire/wheel package.

Tesla Cybertruck Musk talks Cybertruck specs (0-60, vehicle weight) & production volume on Joe Rogan podcast interview (10/31/23) Screenshot 2023-11-01 001756

there’s no battery spread

and you don’t understand the weight of some of the options that will be offered

see prior comment, unchanged
So is a Tri motor part of 11/30 announced variants or was the no spread comment towards the "Performance" vs "Standard" variants only.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
lol. I know the feeling sometimes. 😜

What is the percentage of range loss due to rolling resistance/Crr in your calculations? These ratios are highly dependent on the vehicle velocity you use, as aero drag force is squared with velocity. So depending on what velocities you use in the comparison you will find that the mass plays a less critical roll in calculating comparing ranges between vehicles. Tyres/rolling resistance are also pretty tyre specific, so I'm sure that Telsa has been optimising these as well, meaning mass plays a lesser role again.

Really we should start that dedicated performance thread? We could just do a thread or two, or spin up a site to display the data? Or maybe just share a spreadsheet to collaborate on first?

My question is just how far we should go before official release and how we should display the results.
My model looks very much like Charlies' Pepe board but in excel format with very little written explanation.

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not so sure that the "Tesla way" as you describe it will 100% hold for the CT. In general I totally agree with your assessment as to how Tesla has been handling options on its vehicles.

However, for the CT, there are possible options that would be made FOR the CT as opposed to being part OF the CT.

For instance, the rectangular camper images that Tesla showed at the unveil. There is no reason that Tesla could not offer a camper/trailer device as an optional purchase for the CT. It would be a completely different production line and have no impact on the CT production line.

Similarly, the roof rack. Tesla has shown us a potential actual roof rack on the CT that was at the lithium refinery ground breaking ceremony. That rack also could be an option that would have 0 impact to the CT production line.

Remember, at the CT launch, there was the OPTION of buying the Cyberquad along with the CT. It would also be a separate option that does not impact the CT production line.

As for how these options might get delivered is a whole 'nother matter. If you order a Cyberquad, does it come with your CT loaded in the bed when you take delivery? Or does it get delivered (picked up) as a completely separate item?

And I'm not saying that any of these described options will or will not be available. Just that Tesla has expressed an interest in these options and they MAY actually sell some of them.
Stuff you can buy at the Tesla store, pick up and optionally have installed at a service center, but not add to production line complexity.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
My model looks very much like Charlies' Pepe board but in excel format with very little written explanation.
Sounds like we're two peas in a pod.

Everytime I need to do a quick comparison I just add a section to a sheet in my CT excel...which then ends up spreading accross sheets and files...

I find using the Excel cell formatting presets helps to at least visually see what is going on, but I find spreadsheets are always a bit messy until your work is done.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
tesla will wrap your car, but you need to book it in.

I think the same will go for WInches,Racks etc. Anything which needs to be attached I think will require a booking.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Wow so much energy in this one post....listen to the whole podcast several times...my takeaway 3 versions...dual....tri...tri with beast mode....

My hot take...dual will come later...first options are tri and tri with beast mode( performance )...

Tri - Beast ( beast mode )
Under 3 seconds 0-60 ( plaid motors ) not 2.9...but faster say 2.5 - 2.7

Tri - 3.5 seconds 0 - 60

Dual...4.4 0-60

My theory a Model X plaid is about 6k weight and can do 2.5 0-60.

Cheapest option is to develope their current plaid motors for extra work for 7k - 7.5k weight...in a new housing for CT. It's already successful in semi.

Pricing is the key as we all know...model x plaid currently is $95k
Sponsored