Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
Highland Testing Drone Footage

Looks like the next model 3 will have no stalks. Personally, I think this is the worst aspect of the new vehicles. I was hoping cybertruck wouldn't follow, but now that I see this, that hope is fading fast. Maybe we'll get lucky and the 3's sales will tank when they unveil this as people protest for stalks. Happened with the yoke, so I think there's a chance. This is really just a post to rant though. I absolutely love the stalks on my 3! I mean, even if there are buttons somewhere for selection, I'm going to have to find them with memory or feel instead of just hitting a f**** lever up or down.
Sponsored

Jsleeq

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Glass artist
Country flag
I feel you on this because I have experienced it. Iā€™ve owned a new MX for over 6 months now and not having stalks is horrible. The yoke is whatever( I could drive with a triangle if I had to), but the worst part about the yoke is push buttons for the turn signals and a button for the horn. I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve been coming out of a parking lot and my yoke is upside down making it difficult to find and figure out which button I have to push to signal correctly because now everything is upside down. Most of the time I just say F it and donā€™t even signal these days unless Iā€™m driving straight.

The horn placement can almost be dangerous. Not being able to honk to alert another driver because the button on the yoke is smaller than my pinky nail can be butterfly inducing and down right frustrating when you hit every button but the horn.

Iā€™d 100% pay more to have stalks and the horn in the middle. Iā€™m on my third Tesla and every new one I get feels like Tesla gives us the middle finger a little bit more.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Highland Testing Drone Footage

Looks like the next model 3 will have no stalks. Personally, I think this is the worst aspect of the new vehicles. I was hoping cybertruck wouldn't follow, but now that I see this, that hope is fading fast. Maybe we'll get lucky and the 3's sales will tank when they unveil this as people protest for stalks. Happened with the yoke, so I think there's a chance. This is really just a post to rant though. I absolutely love the stalks on my 3! I mean, even if there are buttons somewhere for selection, I'm going to have to find them with memory or feel instead of just hitting a f**** lever up or down.
Although (probably my age speaking) I agree with you I actually find that using the turn signal stalk a pain and wonder if Iā€™ll actually miss it. Maybe not. For the shifter stalk I am less ambivalent. I am currently renting an ICE car (vacationing on the islands) and I have had to relearn how to drive these dinosaurs! So maybe Iā€™ll adapt to shifter stalklessness as well. In the end as long as the CT has all the functionality we need (and it has always been touted as a function over form design) I suspect Iā€™ll be fine w/o stalks.

I have recently been wondering about opening and closing the CT doors. They auto present but do not open and close like the Model X, so we will be putting our paw prints all over the door edge when we get in and out, right?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't use stalks on my Zero, cruise and a bunch of features aren't on stalks in my Mazda; so why would I care about using stalks on my truck?

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't use stalks on my Zero, cruise and a bunch of features aren't on stalks in my Mazda; so why would I care about using stalks on my truck?

-Crissa
I havenā€™t had a bike in years. Do they not still have switches on the left for turn signals and a ā€˜stalkā€™ (peddle) on the left as a shifter? I demoed a Zero in the city a few years ago but do not remember if it had a shifter.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I havenā€™t had a bike in years. Do they not still have switches on the left for turn signals and a ā€˜stalkā€™ (peddle) on the left as a shifter? I demoed a Zero in the city a few years ago but do not remember if it had a shifter.
Button on the right thumb.

-Crissa

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm game for what ever it comes with, will just be different.
Hooking up a hitch might be a little interesting with auto direction, etc

The only pain about Tesla being so different is training people that have never been in it before....even on model 3 - here's how you open the door, etc

and wife probably won't drive the truck!

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
The controls on electric motorcycles are weird. ICE bikes had to have controls for: throttle, clutch, gear shift, front brake, and rear brake. Five controls for two hands and two feet made putting the front brake control in the same hand that twisted the throttle make sense. It's pretty rare that you need to throttle up while you're needing to slow down. Putting the two controls that need the finest adjustments into the most dominant hand for the majority made sense too. Putting the gear shift down at the feet meant that the lever would be very near the gearbox it controlled so left foot got it, and givinging the coordination of the two to the same brain hemisphere made it make sense to let the left hand operate the clutch lever . The rear brake just got relegated to the limb that didn't already have a responsibility, so right foot got it! Humans, monkeys and bears got used to those controls over the decades.
Tesla Cybertruck My hope for stalks just keeps sinking Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 20.21.03
Tesla Cybertruck My hope for stalks just keeps sinking Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 20.22.32

Now, along come Electric Motorcycles. Single gear operation means you don't need a gear shift. Same for the clutch lever. You still need a speed controller, and brake control for each wheel, but instead of reassigning these chores more sensibly and equitably we resort back to their old locations. The right hand still has two jobs, the right foot keeps his and we insult the left side of the body, telling them they're not needed any more. The left hand pipes up to say "Hey, I can take over one of right hand's duty. Perhaps the accelerator, and instead of that weird, uncomfortable twisting motion we could use a thumb lever type like on Snow machines, jet skis, and ATVs?"

Zero says "No".
Harley Davidson says "No".
Even Can-Am (who makes ATVs and PWCs) says "No". šŸ¤Ø

Left Hand begs everyone to "Please reconsider. This make no sense!!!" He pleads with left foot to join him in his proposal.

Left foot replies "NAH... I'm fine as long as I still get to put down the kickstand. That's the coolest thing any of us get to do anyway! šŸ˜Ž"

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Gotta sell to existing riders. Throttle levers aren't very popular on pedal electrics, either.

-Crissa
That's why I say it's weird. Because humans are sticks in the mud, we'll keep doing things the same old way. Whether that makes sense or not.

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
FSD will be so good that you wouldn't want to drive for the most part, therefore rendering the stalks (or lack thereof) irrelevant.

I hated the yoke so I got the round steering wheel. I still do miss the turn signal stalk but c'est la vie.
Sponsored