MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
NBC News found it newsworthy to announce that Ford promises to, yet again, double their production of electric pick up trucks. Also newsworthy is that GM has promised to make an electric pick up truck. Where all of the batteries to fulfill these promises will come from, they do not mention. Apparently not newsworthy is that a huge new factory has been completed near Austin, Texas, that will manufacture the Cybertruck and its batteries.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/au...ectric-f-150-lightning-pickup-truck-rcna10891

Maybe they just don’t know ??

edit: we’re > where (grammatical mistake)
Sponsored

Last edited:

BahamaTodd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Canyon
Country flag
NBC News found it newsworthy to announce that Ford promises to, yet again, double their production of electric pick up trucks. Also newsworthy is that GM has promised to make an electric pick up truck. we’re all of the batteries to fulfill these promises will come from, they do not mention. Apparently not newsworthy is that a huge new factory has been completed near Austin, Texas, that will manufacture the Cybertruck and its batteries.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/au...ectric-f-150-lightning-pickup-truck-rcna10891

13 battery factories announced for the US coming in the next 5 years. 4 for GM and 3 for Ford. No mention of Tesla though.
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/12/2...-in-usa-within-next-5-years-fact-of-the-week/
Tesla Cybertruck NBC announces Ford and GM promises but overlooks Cybertruck EV-battery-factories-planned-in-USA-2022-2026-DOE

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Is there a reason other than political and/or cheap labor that most of these plants are going to Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia? Is there a materials reason? Are there Lithium mines or other raw materials in these states?

Not trying to spark a political debate. Truly asking.

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
If I’m building a plant I’d want to be somewhere with available labor, materials and a cooperative government. Some places make it very difficult to build.

There seems to be a general negative bias in the press against Tesla. I blame it on Elon being too much of a free spirit for their liking.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Is there a reason other than political and/or cheap labor that most of these plants are going to Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia? Is there a materials reason? Are there Lithium mines or other raw materials in these states?

Not trying to spark a political debate. Truly asking.

My only half-informed understanding as to why that region has been the locale du jour for the last decade and a half is that it has a few things going for it:
1) Tax-lenient governments for industry
2) Good logistics in terms of receiving raw materials, and also exporting throughout North America via rails or to ocean hubs
3) Good labor - but not just because it's less expensive. Rather, because there are adequate populations of logistics workers (truckers, warehousepeople, etc), skilled tradesman, and general laborers. Them working for less is one thing, but them being there in the first place is the bigger thing.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Tesla has no advertising budget. No money to networks, no attention given. I honestly don't blame them. It would be cutting a revenue that keeps the lights on. The truck that hits the streets in volume soonest will advertise themselves. Especially one with unique design that stands out like the Hummer or Cybertruck but who will even notice when a Lightning is passing by that looks so conventional.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
It is always about the $ and connections. Follow my logic:

1. NBC is owned by Comcast
2. Comcast's CEO came from the Carlyle Group (source)
3. William Kennard worked for the Carlyle Group's CEO (the one above), and is now on Ford's board of Directors. (Source)

While not a huge conflict of interest, of course they are going to promote their buddy's company vs this silly little Tesla startup :)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
NBC News found it newsworthy to announce that Ford promises to, yet again, double their production of electric pick up trucks. Also newsworthy is that GM has promised to make an electric pick up truck. Where all of the batteries to fulfill these promises will come from, they do not mention. Apparently not newsworthy is that a huge new factory has been completed near Austin, Texas, that will manufacture the Cybertruck and its batteries.

edit: we’re > where (grammatical mistake)
With all of this disinformation and outright lying I will not shed a tear if/when they all go down. Otherwise I might have.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
There's no media conspiracy.

@Dirt Worker nailed it. Ford, GM, etc are going on massive marketing pushes, and that gets them lots of attention, and generates news. Not to mention, what they are announcing is indeed newsworthy.

I think journalists legitimately have no idea what is going on with Tesla right now. And let's face it, none of us have any idea what's going on with Tesla, because Tesla has no marketing, and no PR. Also Elon hasn't announced anything in a long time.

Elon gives interviews to podcasters, but I'd guess he is probably turning down media requests from the big media companies. So what are they supposed to do? There's literally nothing new or newsworthy about Tesla to report.

The good news is that Tesla gets a hugely disproportionate share of the media attention when the stock goes up, when earnings come out, and when Elon says / does something stupid or amazing. So far, that and word of mouth has been enough to drive incredible demand for teslas vehicles.

I'd love to see Tesla do a huge marketing push to tout the Cybertruck and how powerful/useful it will be. But the fact is, the order backlog is already too high. There's no chance of them advertising this thing anytime soon.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It is always about the $ and connections. Follow my logic:

1. NBC is owned by Comcast
2. Comcast's CEO came from the Carlyle Group (source)
3. William Kennard worked for the Carlyle Group's CEO (the one above), and is now on Ford's board of Directors. (Source)

While not a huge conflict of interest, of course they are going to promote their buddy's company vs this silly little Tesla startup :)
Anyone can play six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

But the CEO of Comcast didn't write or edit the news piece. They just used the last 'official' number.

-Crissa

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Actually no mention of the CT is a good thing - because any reference or advertising hype by big media, really equates to negative credibility at this point. Tesla has solidly proven that big media advertising is totally unnecessary and Tesla certainly doesn't need them to sell any cars.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
Anyone can play six degrees of Kevin Bacon.
Wait, are you saying my 5 minutes of internet sleuthing wasn't solid research? :)

You are totally right and I do not think there is some broad conspiracy, but I do think that big businesses, including the media, are intertwined and tend to stick together vs a new ousider like Tesla.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There's no media conspiracy.
"No Media Conspiracy.."? Are you kidding? Big media are 100% a Giant Political Conspiracy intent on brainwashing and controlling the people at this point - and nothing else.

I'd love to see Tesla do a huge marketing push to tout the Cybertruck and how powerful/useful it will be. But the fact is, the order backlog is already too high. There's no chance of them advertising this thing anytime soon.
Tesla already has a "huge marketing push" to tout the Cybertruck, from the known quality, innovation substance, and reputation with the people using big media alternatives. You're right in saying there's "no chance of them advertising" (with big media) "...anytime soon" - because they will never need it.

Big media is like a cantaloupe sized cancerous gourd on the side of someone's neck - they only attempt to siphon resources and inject toxicity - like the cancerous gourd they need to be removed.

Salute to Tesla for having little as possible or nothing to do with them.
Sponsored

Last edited: