Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
Hey gang!

So I recently ran into car troubles and let me paint you a picture soall of you can throw some ideas out there.

1) I own a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium able to tow (3,500lbs) a 2018 Flagstaff EPro 19 footer (2900 lbs).
2) Was trying to wait till the CT release and delivery but life happened and the Ford is breaking down at 140k miles trans issues.
3) Don't want to buy another Tow Capable vehicle until the CT so thinking about leasing.

Now the questions and opinions begin:

Should I lease a Tesla car and forego using the trailer till the CT release?
Should I sell the trailer for some extra cash and lease a tesla till the CT realease?
Should I Lease at all and if so should it be a tesla or a normal ICE car?
What happens if I lease a tesla before the CT comes out? Can I give it back and buy the CT?

Side Note: I'm using the Ford as a business vehicle so there are some tax write offs there too if that changes anybody's ideas and solutions. Maybe write off the leased Tesla/ICE car for business.

Anybody have any better ideas or any ideas at all?
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If you lease, what will you do to pay for the Tesla?

I would buy a 2 year old tow vehicle and trade it in for the Cybertruck. If you lease a new vehicle, what will you trade in to help pay for the Cybertruck?

And, would the lease cost less than the repairs to the transmission and possibly some engine or suspension repairs? (which would be most likely to happen in the next two years)

Those are the kind of cost analysis/comparisons I would be doing in your situation.

Good luck!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Rebuild the tranny. $600 ~$3500 USD worst case or install used (my pref) Used only needs work several years, then gone!

That buys time. Time to gather the information you will use to make your next investment. If its Tesla CT, its a million miler.

In the meantime, enjoy the direct write-off for repairs and deductions on the FORD. Right accountant will have it zero-deductioned when CT arrives. Keep the ICE as backup to CT until comfortable abusing the CT as much as the FORD. Then you’ll make a decision to go all-in on EV.

string33

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban
Country flag
I have a 2008 Suburban with a growing list of issues. Likley will need something for a few yrs until my reservation ( RN113943793 ) comes up. Thinking used as well.. maybe a Yukon or Navigator this time to mix things up.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have a 2008 Suburban with a growing list of issues. Likley will need something for a few yrs until my reservation ( RN113943793 ) comes up. Thinking used as well.. maybe a Yukon or Navigator this time to mix things up.
Estimated number for trim, 231,246. That puts it three years out at the Model 3 'production hell'. That's worst case, of course. If they ramp up like Shanghai, they'll do 15k, 30k, 50k... So that you'll have almost 200k in the first year. But that still puts your truck in 2023... Just early instead of late.

-Crissa
Sponsored