Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
It is just a bigger Cell. It makes it cheaper to produce. At the pack level, there might be some increase in energy density, but it isn’t 56%.
I'm specifically using this slide from the presentation:
Tesla Cybertruck New Battery Range & Pack Architecture [Announced at Battery Day] Battery-Day-Slide

I got the range increase percentage a bit wrong. It's 54% instead of 56% but still its over 50%.
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I personally think over 50% range increase is over inflated. Probably more like 35%.

OP
OP
Hoppi

Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
Battery-Day-Slide.png
Looking at the slide a little longer I'm starting to think that this slide shows the overall benefits to 3 groups:

Range Increase: benefits the vehicle owner

$/KWH Reduction: benefits the per-vehicle profit margin and the direct Tesla investor

Investment Per GWH Reduction: benefits the investment cost of building factories and factory capacity which would trickle to the share-holder, but more importantly speed the build-out of battery plants. This would then benefit the planet and society as a whole as we quicken the change-over to electric vehicles.

Deleted member 3884

More range the better, but faster charging times are important too. I want it all. Lol. The question I keep getting when I say I’m buying a Cybertruck. What if you want to go on a long car trips? It’ll take 3 times as long if you drive an electric on a long trip. I try to explain you have to figure out charging points and hotels now have charging stations too. People look at me like I’m speaking another language. Anyone else have this?

OP
OP
Hoppi

Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
I personally think over 50% range increase is over inflated. Probably more like 35%.
Ultimately I think the announcement from Tesla is just that there will be a 54% range increase for batteries in the future of the same volume as what is being created at the moment. But for a vehicle like CT that is not yet being produced, it could just mean that the previously allocated size/weight of the battery gets reduced to keep the range and other numbers at the same level as where they are currently (assuming the current specs were quoted with the assumed used of current battery technology).

It's possible that the specs of the CT do not change at all but that these new batteries allow Tesla to lower the overall weight of the vehicle and to save considerably on build costs (and thus increasing profit per vehicle).

I'd really like to have Elon update us on the overall implications of battery day to current and future vehicle specs.

Aces-Truck

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Prius
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
As far as the CT having ridiculously larger range then the Roll-out stated, I don't think so. Remember Elon's stated goal is to get everyone into electric cars. So battery production is a big part of that. If your Tesla, you'll use less cells and get to something that is comfortably bigger range then they quoted. That way they can get more CT's on the road, sooner.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Why do you think that? Are you privy to information than what was released?

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Battery-Day-Slide.png

I got the range increase percentage a bit wrong. It's 54% instead of 56% but still its over 50%.
But then why do they say the 4680 has 5X the energy when it is 5.75 larger in volume. The energy density is slightly lower than the 2170 cells. That 54% increase is likely not from the 4680 cells, but rather their goal to reach eventually.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why do you think that? Are you privy to information than what was released?
we dont really know what this "range increase" quoted in that pic is based on, it could be anything that makes the numbers look better. range increase based on volume, or weight? based on energy density? based on the 1st gen model s'? we dont know. If I was privy to the info I wouldn't be able to talk about it, but im not.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Battery-Day-Slide.png

And they never said how or even whether those improvements would apply to the CT, only that they would slowly ramp up to full speed production between now and sometime in 2022. As a result we can hope for whatever we want but we are guaranteed 508+ miles on the trimotor.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
More range the better, but faster charging times are important too. I want it all. Lol. The question I keep getting when I say I’m buying a Cybertruck. What if you want to go on a long car trips? It’ll take 3 times as long if you drive an electric on a long trip. I try to explain you have to figure out charging points and hotels now have charging stations too. People look at me like I’m speaking another language. Anyone else have this?
Yes, I have run into a few "Low Information Geniuses" they parrot what somebody said......without bothering to investigate the facts and sadly it sets well in their comfortable little fenced-in world.
Honestly, I have to get out of the vehicle for a pit stop, eat and stretch the legs, and sleep sometimes, we are not doing a Cannon Ball Run when we go to see the grandkids. Or maybe they saw the specs on the Nissan LEAF and left it at that and assumed all EVs where city cars.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I have run into a few "Low Information Geniuses" they parrot what somebody said......without bothering to investigate the facts and sadly it sets well in their comfortable little fenced-in world.
Honestly, I have to get out of the vehicle for a pit stop, eat and stretch the legs, and sleep sometimes, we are not doing a Cannon Ball Run when we go to see the grandkids. Or maybe they saw the specs on the Nissan LEAF and left it at that and assumed all EVs where city cars.
well it is a fact that long distance drives take a good amount longer even with tesla supercharging.
i have family in nevada 8 hours away, 500 miles, we do it in about 8.5 hours every time, stopping usually 3 times for about 10-15 minutes each time.

iv never done a tesla trip, as i dont own 1. but i would think that trip would take around 10 hours some1 please correct me if im way off.

Dave.Me

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 GMC Sierra Z71 - Cybertruck Dual Motor ordered - 2018 Subaru Forrester
Occupation
Retired - CNR Signals & Communications Technician
Country flag
For most people it's rarely -30 and indeed better thermal management means it is easier to warm the cells as well as cool them.
For anyone living in the northern states & Canada that is the normal tempature.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
I drive 1,000 miles with a diesel one way, no refills. If the CT will recharge quickly for the pee stops, it all makes since. Another drive is pulling Idaho mountains with either a 10,000 or 14,000 pound trailer - no charging stations, 100 miles each way, same day, cold steep mountain roads. Range is King. A thousand mile range is practical and logical. CT’s autonomous and practical cost structure makes a lot if since. If you all want to replace ICE motors, think it through....RANGE IS KING!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
For anyone living in the northern states & Canada that is the normal tempature.
I live in the northern states and -30 happens almost never. Now Canada might be more often but it's certainly not a normal temperature. But I suppose you mean celsius and not fahrenheit. But the average low temperature in the winter in the USA is just above freezing.
Sponsored