SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
The charge port is currently located in the wheel arch trim.
Probably more commonly referred to as the fender flare.

It sort of brings up another topic worth discussing. Are the fender flares made of the same thing as the black bed we more recently saw? Initially we saw a stainless bed, then it was black. I don't think it was spray on liner. I don't think we know the material for either the bed or the flares yet. I'm assuming the bed is some sort of composite, similar to the GMC beds. I wonder if the flares are the same?
Sponsored

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck New Cybertruck chargeport picture reveals special Tesla logo 1667575420265

Tesla Cybertruck New Cybertruck chargeport picture reveals special Tesla logo Screenshot_20221104-092118

Same material? Yes, no, maybe so?

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
Am I the only one who thinks it’s a REALLY BAD idea to put the charge port exactly where all the mud, water, sand, and ice tend to accumulate on my current truck fender?
Nope, you are not alone sir

Mythrainder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Compliance
Country flag
We got a word for boys what aint got scratches, gouges and dints in their truck beds podner. 🤠

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
The news I have need wait for !! One side in the fender and the other side next to fender
I don't care where they put them as long as there is one on each side!!
Yay!!!

Yes I am still dreaming..

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
As in “Drive aways”?

Moot point if interest rates sky. Homeless and desperate will drive away with those charge cables anyway. Suspect EV future will be BYC(Bring your cable) but the acronym will be fancier.
I think it was the "now you know" utube channel that had a competition to come up with a remote cable eject system, and the reasons why it was necessary.

Tesla's are seen as a luxury product, and drivers as well off, and Teslas park at unattended chargers for long periods to charge, so opportunists target these situations. Other wildlife, like bears, dogs, snakes etc might also be a threat.

Having to unlock you vehicle get out and unplug is probably not the smartest move.
So having an emergency disengage switch to pop the cable out is a no brainer IMHO. You can limit its use for abusers by simply tracking engagements.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Am I the only one who thinks it’s a REALLY BAD idea to put the charge port exactly where all the mud, water, sand, and ice tend to accumulate on my current truck fender?
Watch out here come all the mud scientist replying to this comment.

You are right. This is awfully close to the dirtiest part of the vehicle. But it probably is much easier than punching a hole in the structural exoskeleton.

Deleted member 859

It accumulates inside the fender? That seems bad.

-Crissa
Being that the bottom of the charge port door is facing the tire, the material is going to flung directly into that region as it is on my current truck. Picture driving 170 miles to a Tesla supercharger in freezing rain conditions. Now picture the ice that has accumulated on your fender and the ice that has worked it’s way into the charge port. You’re going to have to carry a hair dryer to plug into the bed to melt the ice covering and potentially inside the charge port.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Being that the bottom of the charge port door is facing the tire, the material is going to flung directly into that region as it is on my current truck. Picture driving 170 miles to a Tesla supercharger in freezing rain conditions. Now picture the ice that has accumulated on your fender and the ice that has worked it’s way into the charge port. You’re going to have to carry a hair dryer to plug into the bed to melt the ice covering and potentially inside the charge port.
Tesla Owner's Manual said:
Some vehicles are equipped with a charge port inlet heater that turns on when you turn on the rear defrost in cold weather conditions.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_tw/GUID-BEE08D47-0CE0-4BDD-83F2-9854FB3D578F.html

If it's inside the charging port, you probably didn't close it. And does ice normally accumulate behind the flare? Or under it, where it catch the spray?

-Crissa