New Member, advice please, Model Y or wait?

With rising gas prices, what should I do?

• Total voters

OHRJR

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Escalade ESV
Country flag
Hello everybody, I have been a long time reader of this forum but just recently joined and I was wondering if I could get some opinions please. I have a dual motor CT reserved, I did not reserve day one, probably like 6 months later 😔. My vehicle at the time was a 2004 Avalanche which I loved. Back in November 21 it gave out on me and I needed to buy a replacement vehicle. I considered a Model Y but because I needed something soon I ended up with a 2014 Escalade ESV (the longer suburban like variant). It was decently priced, AWD and spacious which I needed at the time because I was moving around 2 big kids, 2 big dogs and 2 adults. Gas was expensive back then but not as bad as today, the Escalade takes premium only, but I was working from home so it wasn't a big deal. Fast forward to now, because of a work opportunity I have moved across the country rural West Virginia (beautiful and I love it). The Escalade came in handy for the move for sure, but because of the steep hills and mountains and a lot of highway commuting, gas is killing me now. Whats worse is that I will be going back to the office soon, which based on my calculations will cost me a full tank of gas in commuting every 5 days. This means about 120.00 every week in gas at current prices and it feels like its going to get worse. I did the math, and if I order a Model Y (probably the performance one because it arrives sooner) it will be the same amount per month as the escalade payment plus gas, it will actually be less if I take weekend driving and road trips around the state into consideration. However, as with any vehicle, I will probably take a loss if I sell my escalade. What do you suggest, suck it up and wait for my CT? Get a model Y and drive that until CT? Or should I be looking at another EV? As an FYI, I no longer need to move the kids around, just me, 2 big dogs and my girlfriend. German Shepherd and Golden retriever if that matters. I appreciate any and all advice. Thank you.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OHRJR

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Escalade ESV
Country flag
I would say whatever EV you can get. The wait times for most new EVs are pretty nuts right now.

-Crissa
Thank you for the reply. I know, wait times are crazy. This is why the model Y performance is the one I am considering, because the estimated delivery on it is sooner than the long range model y. It sounds like your vote is for an EV option over waiting though, is it because you think gas is going to get even more expensive too?

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
I've always been a believer in used cars, which could bypass the wait times. If having a larger sedan works for you, the MS is a great option. It has a lot of room. Just make sure you understand the differences in options, battery sizes, ranges and charging curves if you are looking at older ones. You can probably pick one up a 2016 or earlier fairly quickly in the $35-$55K range if you shop around. Good luck.

OP
OP

OHRJR

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Escalade ESV
Country flag
I've always been a believer in used cars, which could bypass the wait times. If having a larger sedan works for you, the MS is a great option. It has a lot of room. Just make sure you understand the differences in options, battery sizes, ranges and charging curves if you are looking at older ones. You can probably pick one up a 2016 or earlier fairly quickly in the $35-$55K range if you shop around. Good luck.
thank you, I had not even thought about a model S. I will do some research and see if this can work. I am leaning towards the Y because I need room for the dogs, but maybe a model S will work since it does have more room than a 3. Another thing I need to consider is clearance and snow driving. Living in a rural area, these may become important factors come winter time.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
If you can find someone that has another EV on order already that is planning to sell their current vehicle after taking delivery, you may have a shorter wait. Case in point, once we get the CT, I will have a 2015 Model S (85D) for sell.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I was (am) a Cybertruck reservation holder (just over 100K in line) who was looking for a used Model X in 2021 as a the placeholder vehicle for the Cybertruck. I'm tall (6'5") and thought I needed the big Tesla SUV and went to a Tesla location near me to take a test drive. When I saw the Model Y and then test drove it, I forgot all about the Model X. In fact I was so impressed, I ordered the Model Y that very day. It arrived <30 days later (2 months early) which was fine because I was able to buyout my leased Range Rover a couple of months early and pocket several thousand dollars in the process.

The Model Y is a great vehicle and we use it for road tripping and as my daily driver. As I told the Tesla employee who arraigned my almost 1 hour test drive, "why would anyone looking for an EV buy anything else"? That was several price hikes ago and the Model Y is everything I need in a car. By contrast, the Cybertruck is everything I want in a car. :cool:

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Life is short, you have things to do. Get a Y and don't look back. You'll probably be able to get one quicker than you think... And no one really knows when the CT will show up, let alone where you are in the "line" that doesn't really exist... Our Y has been bullet proof, easy, and more than held its own.

Good luck!

SS

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I was (am) a Cybertruck reservation holder (just over 100K in line) who was looking for a used Model X in 2021 as a the placeholder vehicle for the Cybertruck. I'm tall (6'5") and thought I needed the big Tesla SUV and went to a Tesla location near me to take a test drive. When I saw the Model Y and then test drove it, I forgot all about the Model X. In fact I was so impressed, I ordered the Model Y that very day. It arrived <30 days later (2 months early) which was fine because I was able to buyout my leased Range Rover a couple of months early and pocket several thousand dollars in the process.

The Model Y is a great vehicle and we use it for road tripping and as my daily driver. As I told the Tesla employee who arraigned my almost 1 hour test drive, "why would anyone looking for an EV buy anything else"? That was several price hikes ago and the Model Y is everything I need in a car. By contrast, the Cybertruck is everything I want in a car. :cool:
I'm with you on this one. I'm 6'4" and the Y is very spacious (both front and back seats). I would *almost* trade in my S for a Y (if I weren't slated to replace the S with the CT). I've test driven the Y a few times and for the size/design, it handles extremely well and is a very effective use of space. The S/X have very large bodies and transitioning from a standard sedan sized car (think Camry) to the S was a major adjustment. I love the idea of the X, but the over-engineering involved makes me pause and think: do I want to pay to fix those cool falcon door when they have issues? I've already replaced all of the door handles on my 2015 Model S (the retractable handles look cool, but they definitely break and I knew that going in). FWIW, we have an estimated delivery of December on the Y that we placed an order for back in February (to replace our ICE vehicle).

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Thank you for the reply. I know, wait times are crazy. This is why the model Y performance is the one I am considering, because the estimated delivery on it is sooner than the long range model y. It sounds like your vote is for an EV option over waiting though, is it because you think gas is going to get even more expensive too?
Yes, however gas prices might come down a bit, but it's for the climate change that you should do it!

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Question- What is your experience with EV's and the Model Y? I would recommend you test drive at minimum and rent one for a better experience.

I twice rented a MY LR while traveling and fell in love with experience of driving it. I had already had a CT on order but wasn't sure I would go through with it. Now I am expecting my MY LR this month (ordered in Oct last year) and will drive this until my CT will be ready as I know for sure I want the CT now.

Resale value an another big factor in my decision to get the Y. So far MY's have held their value and even appreciated some in the past year.

Personally- I am with the "life is to short" camp. You will likely be way happier spending the same $ to drive a Model Y vs. your current SUV. The driving experience for me was night and day.

Best of luck!
Sponsored