Newly proposed EV tax credit in the US - Paid at dealerships?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So I'm reading various sources about the newly proposed tax credit for EV's. For example here is an article from Electrek.

Looking into the details of the tax credit though, one thing I'm noticing that so far I've not seen anyone comment on is that:

16. Dealer can apply credit at time of sale. Dealer must disclose to buyer the MSRP of the vehicle, the applicable tax credit amount and the amount of any other available incentive applicable to the purchase. (Page 378, line 6)​
I haven't yet seen the actual bill or the actual wording in the bill but I have a question.

If the tax credit gets applied by the dealer at the time of sale, what happens for automobiles that are sold direct to the consumer? If there is no dealership in the deal, does the credit still get applied? How?

As much as everyone is saying that the new tax credit applies to Tesla vehicles, does it? Or will it?

The pushback from various sources against Tesla has been pretty hard and very persistent. Do we really know if this bill is not another such attack?

I guess to clarify, I see that the Tesla vehicles clearly qualify for the incentive. But does Tesla as a company qualify to give out the incentive?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Uh.. you get a bill of sale with MSRP from Tesla. No different than at any other dealership. Don't get hung up on the definition of a simple word. Making something out of nothing.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

He goes over it pretty deeply. The three wheels and two wheels may be excluded... or they might have taken out the entire requirement for wheels.

Not sure.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
is that tesla daily channel worth checking out? also maybe i need to work more to get that tax credit :ROFLMAO:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
is that tesla daily channel worth checking out? also maybe i need to work more to get that tax credit :ROFLMAO:
Yea, can't watch them all. I have filtered out most, but remain subscribed to Rob.

Like probably many here, I eat sleep Tesla, and even on Tesla Daily, I do tend to skip over a fair bit of repeated topics.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
😞
Noooo
Nooo
I sure hope not. I know of a 3 wheel company that deserves it.
I know 2 3 wheel companies that deserve it. One of them is based here in Eugene.

For Tesla this isn’t a big deal, but for Arcimoto, it would be huge. They sell their FUV for $17,000 - $25,000 and according to my friend who works there they only make money when people max out their purchase. If they could tap into that $7,500 incentive, they could bump their prices up so they make a sustainable profit on each one sold. I’m quite tempted by their current offering, but with the incentive it would be a slam dunk. $7,500 is 12% of a Tesla… it’s 40% off the cost of a Arcimoto.

I suspect similar situation with Aptera.