Next Promo: Buy an inventory Model Y and get "Kinda Early Delivery" for a Cybertruck

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
Looks like Tesla is sitting on about 50K units of inventory I'm sure they'd rather not have around and on the books - probably mostly Model Y is my guess given the impending imminent redesign and the price increases to scare people into buying last quarter.

Maybe after the shareholders early delivery Tesla will come up with new promo, buy a Y and get preferred early delivery for a Cybertruck. For those who are considering paying $150-170K in the used market this offers works out much more favorably as you get two vehicles for the same price and you can always sell the Model Y.

While we await more details on the shareholder "early delivery" I'm sure the marketing minds at Tesla are working on their next big, cryptic, time-limited promo with ambiguous rules and uncertain timelines.

Because Tesla...
Sponsored

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
It might happen. I think the model Y prices increased $1,000 in April, at least the adds I was getting said that the price was going up at the end of March.

They offered a discount of $1,000 with a CT reservation, and after all the madness of youtubers, referral points, stocks I would not be surprised to see them come up with something else.
Although I personally love the stock option being a very high RN

Not sure how they are going to move all of those units while RAISING price.

OP
OP

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
It might happen. I think the model Y prices increased $1,000 in April, at least the adds I was getting said that the price was going up at the end of March.

Not sure how they are going to move all of those units while RAISING price.
Yeah, that's my thought as well. Raising prices tends not to help increase sales. Something about supply/demand curves from an econ course long, long ago is faintly echoing in my brain.

Sure, they could try the "free color" thing and/or add free supercharging miles instead of dropping prices. But with 2M people waiting on a Cybertruck, I'd bet a few tens of thousands would be happy to pick up a Model Y to hop the line by a year or four.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Q2 is going to be entertaining for sure.

I am curious to see what type of creative incentives Tesla will offer to move Model Y inventory that is suffering from the Osborne Effect.

Last edited:

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT

I am curious to see what type of creative incentives will be offered to move Model Y's that are suffering from the Osborne Effect.
That is a great point. Why buy a model Y when the cybertruck is basically the same thing but a bit bigger and nicer. Granted big jump in price but if not budget sensative the cybertruck is basically a shiny model Y that is way quicker.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
That is a great point. Why buy a model Y when the cybertruck is basically the same thing but a bit bigger and nicer. Granted big jump in price but if not budget sensative the cybertruck is basically a shiny model Y that is way quicker.
Eh I don’t think they are comparable in that sense at all. That’s like saying an escape and f150 are pretty much the same buyer. My 3 is my temporary car till cybertruck. Our Y is what the wife drives

Trbizwiz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 RWD, Dodge Challenger
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
I can definitely see them bumping the Cybertruck reservation discount for Model Y purchases. Maybe something like, any color, and interior, lifetime premium connectivity.
Hopefully the next gen Y will be a departure from the # platform. Tesla really needs a mid priced 6 seat SUV. Currently the X is jsut above the EV credit cut off. The price is not bad for what you get, but sitting at $3750 above a price point that earns a $7500 discount, is just really bad planning. Ill bet if 7 seat X's came in at $79999, sales would double.
I'll bet if Y had a serviceable 3rd row, for 6 adults, like X, and was priced under $60,000, sales would increase dramatically.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

I am curious to see what type of creative incentives Tesla will offer to move Model Y inventory that is suffering from the Osborne Effect.
Depends how much is inventory vs pending delivery.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
They just did the FSD transfer for free thing again, likely trying to get rid of excess Model Y inventory. 50,000 or so vehicles unsold I believe, this might spill over into some kind of CT incentive.
Sponsored