No more Quad version?

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Assuming that CT and Semi is sharing many things. And now the Semi site stating that it has three independent motors, although at one point I thought it had four motors. Does that mean there will not be a quad version? I thought it was once mentioned by Elon of a possible quad version. I know there will be a plaid, and many assumed quad would be Plaid. Maybe no quad and just Tri would be the plaid, or have a Tri and later a Tri Plaid?

For me I don't need/care for the speed. For a truck I'm just looking at range for long trips. Currently the Plaid S is less range then the Dual AWD.

So much to ponder about until next fall or so.. Either way by the time my number is up it will be a few years...
Sponsored

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
I was also wondering this based on the Semi news about it being 3-motors. Only ~12 months away from getting actual details on the production Cybertruck

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Assuming that CT and Semi is sharing many things. And now the Semi site stating that it has three independent motors, although at one point I thought it had four motors. Does that mean there will not be a quad version? I thought it was once mentioned by Elon of a possible quad version. I know there will be a plaid, and many assumed quad would be Plaid. Maybe no quad and just Tri would be the plaid, or have a Tri and later a Tri Plaid?

For me I don't need/care for the speed. For a truck I'm just looking at range for long trips. Currently the Plaid S is less range then the Dual AWD.

So much to ponder about until next fall or so.. Either way by the time my number is up it will be a few years...
I doubt there is any relationship with Semi being tri-motor and there being a quad motor Cybertruck. They have very different use cases. Electric semis probably spend 98% of their time on paved roads and any unpaved would be a compacted dirt parking lot. Semi is not used for off-roading like a Cybertruck might. Semis don't compete at rock climbing meets or Baja type races.

OP
OP

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
I doubt there is any relationship with Semi being tri-motor and there being a quad motor Cybertruck. They have very different use cases. Electric semis probably spend 98% of their time on paved roads and any unpaved would be a compacted dirt parking lot. Semi is not used for off-roading like a Cybertruck might. Semis don't compete at rock climbing meets or Baja type races.
Off-road, on-road.. that is more in the suspension right?

I guess I was just thinking of this page from battery day too much.

Tesla Cybertruck No more Quad version? tesla_battery_day_chemistries_categories

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Everyone assumes the quad motor means quicker, faster and/or more powerful. That maybe true, I personally don’t think so, at least not significantly. The real advantage to the quad motor is full, true, independent torque vectoring at each wheel, which is definitely something that is only appreciated in off-road situations. (I’m grouping a lot of situations in this “off-road” description, including snow covered roads etc.)

My personal suspicion is, the quad motor will not have more power than the tri. If the tri motor had three 333HP motors, the quad would have four 250HP motors. That is purely my gut feeling and I have no evidence to back it up.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Of course now you have me all curious what an upgraded Semi built for off-roading would be like. I’ve seen pictures of some pretty radical overdone rich person adventure vehicles. Would be curious to see what could be done with Tesla Semi.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Definitely quad for off-road. It will be mostly my kids doing that.
For me, it's maybe helpful to get to a fishing spot… providing I like fishing… I'm not sure… let you know after I've spent $10,000 on a drone and expensive gear, lol

4WS, just gotta be good. Turning / parking. I think once you have experienced it. You really wouldn't want to go without it.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

Off-road, on-road.. that is more in the suspension right?

I guess I was just thinking of this page from battery day too much.

tesla_battery_day_chemistries_categories.jpg

[/QUOTE]
That diagram shows that both the semi and CT need lighter, more powerful batteries, with the best range. You are right that the CT suspension will be a new animal and the semi won't need it (nor 4WS). As for the drivetrain, though, it has been shown that independent drives provide greater control and that is also an offroading feature.

OP
OP

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, I would love Quad as well, especially if they are adding more range. But with what is going on in the current world we live in. Everyone is removing components while increasing prices. Tesla going from an official change of Quad Semi to Tri. How could I see and official change from Tri to Quad. I am just working on not getting my hopes up. Far too many rumors/opinions out there these days.

My family does plenty of beach side camping that can only be reached with real 4x4. So I want as many motors as possible, and longest range with Solar Cover. One day.. one day...

Until then, my Suburban with 1kw rooftop solar and my 2 3kwh first gen Tesla modules (7S) will have to do.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The multi-axle steering would stabilize trailer pulling for the Semi just as it would for the Cybertruck.

-Crissa
Would it? I'm not sure. Hitch pin on semi is between rear axles, whereas CT is far behind rear and with much less downforce causing the center of mass to be much further back on the trailer with the CT.

You'd have rear axle steering on the semi, with the second being fixed, that would help front vehicle stability and reduce tyre scrub when cornering if you use super singles ( common config in Europe), but I'm not sure if it would help trailer sway or not, if it did not as much as on the CT.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
we should make this a contest - who gets the closest with their guess - In My Opinion -
There will be Dual and Quad
Dual will have a big motor in the rear, small motor in the front
Quad will have big motors in the rear, smaller motors in the front
Quad will have range advertised of 500 plus and will actually be over 600.
Dual will have rated range of 300 plus with optional LR package of 420. $10,000 option.
Dual will have optional all wheel steering, AWS will be standard on Quad.
Dual will cost $55,000 to new purchasers ( reservation holders of Single, Dual, and Tri will purchase for original $49,900. )
Quad will cost $82,000.
ATV will cost $4900
Camper pack will cost $2900.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
we should make this a contest - who gets the closest with their guess - In My Opinion -
Dual will have rated range of 300 plus with optional LR package of 420. $10,000 option.
Dual will cost $55,000 to new purchasers ( reservation holders of Single, Dual, and Tri will purchase for original $49,900. )
Quad will cost $82,000.
ATV will cost $4900
Can I go with your predictions ? lol

My variation -I will put the extra 120 miles on the Dual at les than half your price.... only $4000 extra ..... BE quick, selling fast !!!.

audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
Quad will cost $82,000.
ATV will cost $4900
What do you reckon AWS option will be on the Dual Motor CT?

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Quad will cost $82,000.
ATV will cost $4900
Camper needs another zero and probably a multiple. Unless you're saying it's just a shell. I don't think it will be under $10k but I'm probably getting it regardless of price.

I like your estimated price of the ATV, I'll be getting that one as well.
Sponsored