Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Marine Officer
Country flag
Nobody mentioning this and how it inherently affects the looks?

Update April 14, 2020:

Posted by @VolklKatana

Appears the NHTSA has said recently that cameras for side mirrors will be considered for light vehicles and heavy trucks. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place for Tesla! https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-roadster-cybertruck-no-side-mirror-nhtsa/

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 111, titled “Rear Visibility,” requires all vehicles to “be equipped with rearview mirrors to provide drivers with a view of objects that are to their side or their side and rear.” However, the NHTSA recently hinted that “light vehicles and heavy trucks” may eventually be equipped with camera systems instead of traditional side mirrors.

An edition of the United States government’s Federal Register from late 2019 shows the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration sought more information on the possibility of vehicles utilizing a “Camera Monitor System,” or CMS. The removal of mirrors instead of camera systems would eliminate the need for traditional side mirrors and possibly rearview mirrors, too.

Tesla has hinted at mirrorless driving in the past, and the door is open now more than ever. It seems this system could be integrated into performance vehicles like the Roadster, or pickups like the Cybertruck in the future. The designs of these two all-electric vehicles have hinted towards a future that does not include traditional side mirrors, which could change the way other carmakers design vehicles as a whole. Tesla’s minimalistic interior and large centrally-located dash screen has been adopted by many other carmakers, showing the electric car company influences other automakers in the industry. A side-mirror-less theme may be the next big trend that Tesla starts.

For those curious, this is where the Cybertruck side view cameras are located - on the rear facing edge of the front fenders:

Tesla Cybertruck NO SIDE MIRRORS (Side View Cameras Instead) Tesla Cybertruck Side View Camera Rear View Camera Location 2

Tesla Cybertruck NO SIDE MIRRORS (Side View Cameras Instead) tesla-cybertruck-front fender-camera-rear-side-view
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

MPP

First Name
Marc Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
In winter conditions with all the slush, I wonder CT will keep the camera clean?

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
In winter conditions with all the slush, I wonder CT will keep the camera clean?
While I do wonder about this, do rearview mirrors stay clean in the same circumstances?

I expect cameras should work about the same as mirrors in adverse conditions, so it is a wash.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Right, keep the cameras clean the same way you keep mirrors clean. If you can indeed do away with side mirrors on a truck that would be cool.........the mirrors most certainly are in the way............so I'm good with the idea of mirror elimination.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Right, keep the cameras clean the same way you keep mirrors clean. If you can indeed do away with side mirrors on a truck that would be cool.........the mirrors most certainly are in the way............so I'm good with the idea of mirror elimination.
One advantage to conventional side mirrors is that if you forget to wipe them off, you can at least reach the driver's side mirror by simply rolling down the window and wiping it off with the edge of your hand.

The other issue with lack of mirrors comes with towing - you want a vantage point for the camera that is at least as wide as the trailer so you can see beyond the trailer which is likely wider than the truck. The cameras will need to be on some kind of extendable stalks.

Finally, with mirrors, you are already typically looking over that same side shoulder. Turning instead to a screen in the center console to see what is beside on your left is going to be a lot of head swiveling and could induce a b it of disorientation.

Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
One advantage to conventional side mirrors is that if you forget to wipe them off, you can at least reach the driver's side mirror by simply rolling down the window and wiping it off with the edge of your hand. lame

The other issue with lack of mirrors comes with towing - you want a vantage point for the camera that is at least as wide as the trailer so you can see beyond the trailer which is likely wider than the truck. The cameras will need to be on some kind of extendable stalks. Imagine if there was a thing called a wide angle lens that would extend the field of view?

Finally, with mirrors, you are already typically looking over that same side shoulder. Turning instead to a screen in the center console to see what is beside on your left is going to be a lot of head swiveling and could induce a b it of disorientation. do you get disoriented at every intersection when you should be checking left-right-left.?

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
One advantage to conventional side mirrors is that if you forget to wipe them off, you can at least reach the driver's side mirror by simply rolling down the window and wiping it off with the edge of your hand.

The other issue with lack of mirrors comes with towing - you want a vantage point for the camera that is at least as wide as the trailer so you can see beyond the trailer which is likely wider than the truck. The cameras will need to be on some kind of extendable stalks.

Finally, with mirrors, you are already typically looking over that same side shoulder. Turning instead to a screen in the center console to see what is beside on your left is going to be a lot of head swiveling and could induce a b it of disorientation.
Well, looks like you can reach out the window and clean the camera as well. As for the rest, right, that's why I said I'm cool with the idea, not necessarily the reality. As someone who tows a gooseneck with an F350 dually, I'm a bit sceptical of the functional aspect of towing with that setup, but we will see. If not literally then conceptionally.........

Zhe Wiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MYP, 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
FileMaker Developer
Country flag
Meh...all of those problems are solvable. I can’t remember the last time I needed to wipe off my mirrors, but wiping the camera doesn’t seem so hard. Trailer issue can be solved using the “invisible trailer” tech that others have introduced. Mirrors need to go, none of those issues are unsolvable. You’d adapt and be used to them in about 10 minutes of driving.

I still think it’ll have mirrors, but we have 2+ years to speculate and discuss and fret. :)

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Meh...all of those problems are solvable. I can’t remember the last time I needed to wipe off my mirrors, but wiping the camera doesn’t seem so hard. Trailer issue can be solved using the “invisible trailer” tech that others have introduced. Mirrors need to go, none of those issues are unsolvable. You’d adapt and be used to them in about 10 minutes of driving.

I still think it’ll have mirrors, but we have 2+ years to speculate and discuss and fret. :)
Fret. Can I fret a bit? I like fretting........it's fretfull.........

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I would like the cameras. Screens can be dimmed, mirrors just shine in your eyes with someone following you.

I have to clean my backup camera, windshield, mirrors, headlights and tail lights all the time. Cleaning side view mirrors is not an issue I worry about. I have to scrape windows and mirrors in the winter too.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Next will be small lasers cleaning it.
Sponsored