Shumby

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (ordered), Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z nismo, Infiniti FX50S, Dodge Dakota
Occupation
Sr. Maintance Engineer
Country flag
I don't want to see behind the trailer so much as alongside it. Specifically where are the wheels in relation to the curb and other obstructions when low speed cornering in parking lots, charging stations, and driveways. Or where is back corner of the trailer in relation to the adjacent vehicles when backing it into a parking spot.

On the highway, I like to see what I am side-swiping in that blind spot alongside the trailer when I change lanes.
so yes a wide angle lense

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
I can't speak to the 3 guys from Canada or the one from Switzerland. To you guys in the USA though, keep dreaming! Your new CT will have mirrors as that the law here, and I don't see the DOT changing that anytime soon.
Ah, fuhgeddaboudit, Jersy, we ain't got no stinkin' laws here in Montana. No seriously, do you know what the law actually requires? I would imagine the wording is rather vague/broad. I would also bet you Tesla didn't accidentally not think of that.

muadib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Country flag

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
Right, well I'm guessing Tesla invested more than a 1-minute google search pursuant to this question.........

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Forgive my Canadian, lack of USA traffic branches, however Tesla and other automakers have gone to the regulatory bodies to address the concern. There is a public consultation going on right now. If things go the automakers’ way this issue will be solved before the CT comes out.

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I can't speak to the 3 guys from Canada or the one from Switzerland. To you guys in the USA though, keep dreaming! Your new CT will have mirrors as that the law here, and I don't see the DOT changing that anytime soon.
Well, they are changing all the time. So noting is fixed in there. Everything can be changed at any time.

muadib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Country flag
Right, well I'm guessing Tesla invested more than a 1-minute google search pursuant to this question.........
I'm sure they did too, but I'm not so sure what we have seen so far is anything more than a concept vehicle. Time will tell...

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Early on with the Model 3 many folks were freaked out because there is no instrument cluster in the usual place in front of the steering wheel. People kept saying..........I don't think it's safe to look to the right when driving instead of straight ahead. I remember that setup feeling odd.........for the first 5 miles. Haven't thought of it since and you no longer hear that discussion. The screen on the Model 3 is sooooooooooo much better. Point is don't go changing things around on human beings now, they don't dig that sh*t. I imagine the response will be similar with the camera/mirrors on the Cybertruck. Oh, no, I have to look up and to my right..........rather than up, to the right, and to the left.......how on Earth will I ever manage? Anyway, traditional mirrors on a motorized vehicle suck...........out loud..........And of all the battles Tesla has fought and won to get past the Oil Industry, dealing with the current mirror laws is rather trivial.......

Last edited:

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
There are already vehicles that have implemented side view cameras and a monitor on the inside of the A pillar or inside door panel in other countries. Just a matter of time before its approved here in the U.S. The fact that its already being discussed tells me it will happen sooner than later

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Okay, all this speculating is fun... but the rules are clear and in place, and Tesla (with others) has petitioned for a change to the rules. A long time ago (2014). Rule making body is seeking public comments here: NHTSA-2018-0021

So go do a little research, then come back and post based on reality, not on 'what you think/believe/want'.

Thank you.

edit: you might also like this article from Road/Show.

edit:
bfayer types faster than I do. :)

Last edited:

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So go do a little research, then come back and post based on reality, not on 'what you think/believe/want'.
In reality, I think/believe/want to not conduct any research on the laws in question. That just mirrors the futility of man's inhumanity to cars............
Sponsored