Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Im not sure why the NTSB would turn down a camera option for a Cybertruck side mirror? In the midwest, many in the summer take the doors off their jeeps and drive around with NO side mirror at all (comes off with door). How could cameras be less safe than no mirrors with no cameras?

Tesla Cybertruck No side rearview mirror A6A1BDD2-52D6-402B-9FFC-94AF38526976
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think that NHTSA requires that the manufacture comply with basic safety hardware (etc.) at point of sale. After that it is up to the owner to decide/do. People tint windows when they aren't supposed to. For the longest time I saw people putting their phones on suction cups on the dash or the windshield when those were illegal. The list goes on and on. There is no question that driving w/o doors/mirrors is much more dangerous but people will be people and there are definitely many scenarios where removing the doors makes sense.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
That picture reminds me of a trip I drove from El Paso to dang near half way to Mexico City. I was surprised to see the further south we got, the more cars I saw without doors. A number of them VW Beetles.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
That picture reminds me of a trip I drove from El Paso to dang near half way to Mexico City. I was surprised to see the further south we got, the more cars I saw without doors. A number of them VW Beetles.
Farther south, beans become a greater diet staple.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Thanks. ? Now I'm stuck listening to Marty Robbins for the rest of the day either in my head or actually playing it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I'm not sure how morons modding cars should apply to federal standards for manufacture. When I run without doors/top, I have side mirrors that attach where the doors used to be.
Sponsored