No towing for Model Y, what about Cybertruck towing? [Update: Model Y gets tow hitch option]

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
I originally put in a reservation for a Model Y when I heard it would be able to tow, but after I put in my serration for the CT I cancelled my Model Y order. Now we find out that the a model Y cannot tow. Since Tesla promised towing, and they also promised it for the CT, where does that leave us?

I still have lots of questions unanswered about the CT. I know that they will get answered, and that Tesla will come through, but news like this is disheartening to say the least. I feel sorry for all the people that ordered a Model Y that need to tow. An SUV that doesn’t tow is just a car.
"In 2016, Elon Musk said that there will be an official tow-hitch option for the Model 3, although none has shown up. The Model Y prototype Tesla revealed last year had what appeared to be a tow-hitch receiver cover plate. And in the past several years, Model 3 and Model Y test vehicles with manufacturer plates have been spotted towing. "

"In a quick scan of the weight numbers, the Model Y’s vehicle capacity weight—including driver, passengers, and cargo—of just 954 pounds is lower than that of the Model 3 and surprisingly (verging on alarmingly) small, given a curb weight 4,416 pounds for the Long Range Dual Motor and Long Range Performance Dual Motor versions, with GVWR at 5,302 pounds."

"That means that if you have five adults aboard the Model Y, and they average 190 pounds, any suitcases or bags of groceries in the cargo area will put you over its maximum capacity."

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ed-at-last-no-towing-and-some-other-surprises

Mr. Musk is a madman. He presumably thinks if his engineers matched his work-ethic, they could deliver on his crazy promises.

If past is prologue, Mr. Musk is over-promising on the Cybertruck. The range, towing capacity, and delivery date will all suffer. Scratch that--the engineers will suffer trying to get get the range, towing capacity, and delivery dates that Mr. Musk promised. The windows cracked on stage--there should be no doubt Mr. Musk is over-promising on other stuff too. Whatever--I still want one. The difference in Mr. Musk's "reality distortion field" and the one(s) of Steve Jobs, is the boundaries of Mr. Musk's are previewed on stage and twitter beforehand, while the details of Mr. Jobs' unrealistic expectations were defined within the walls of Apple. Mr. Musk and Tesla were fined a total of $40M essentially for his lying. He has a trial delayed right now due to CoronaVirus based on what investors view as shady, self-dealing. He shoots for the moon and at least falls among the stars. He literally shot his car into space. He's a crazy genius and also carnival barker. He's my favorite immigrant by far.
Sponsored

teslamaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CR-V
Country flag
No way the Cybertruck won’t be designed to tow. The highlight of the entire reveal event was the tow-off against the F-150.
But remember that Elon had promised as late as the summer of 2019, that the Cybertruck would be able to tow 300,000 pounds.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Model Y owner, can one mount a couple of e-bikes on it if there is no receiver option?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
But remember that Elon had promised as late as the summer of 2019, that the Cybertruck would be able to tow 300,000 pounds.
As the X has already done that I don't see why the CT wouldn't be able to.

Terryaki

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3; 1989 F250 IDI (retiring for the Tri-Motor Cyber Truck)
Country flag
I think that I should know why I started the thread.
The clearly about towing thread, per the title, gotcha. Being the OP of a thread has nothing to do with wandering topic. If you wanted someone to find your general feature discussion (seems the whole point of a discussion), then a so-titled thread is clearly best. Nice 'n easy.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Tow hitch option for Model Y just appeared on the website tonight. $1,000 option and can tow 3500 lbs.

"High strength, Class II steel tow bar. Capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs"

Model Y tow hitch.png
You beat me to the punch! I just saw that it was added! Good catch!

TeslaTheNorth

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
I originally put in a reservation for a Model Y when I heard it would be able to tow, but after I put in my serration for the CT I cancelled my Model Y order. Now we find out that the a model Y cannot tow. Since Tesla promised towing, and they also promised it for the CT, where does that leave us?

I still have lots of questions unanswered about the CT. I know that they will get answered, and that Tesla will come through, but news like this is disheartening to say the least. I feel sorry for all the people that ordered a Model Y that need to tow. An SUV that doesn’t tow is just a car.
The crazy thing is the engineering Guru Sandy Monroe showed that there was a pop-out panel in the rear plastic fascia where exhaust or a tow hitch would be. The only thing is it doesn't have an attachment for a hitch however it is a location that could have a modified component put in the bumper or Tesla may offer that attachment later down the line.
Sandy Munro said that he would like to see the bumper incorporate some sort of tow hitch that was hidden,so considering Tesla took some of his advice from the model 3 to the model y oh, and he loves the model y much better than the model 3 maybe there's a hope in the future that the y will get a tow hitch put into the rear bumper. The only problem is usually a tow hitch isn't part of the bumper 4 accident purposes I believe.

Just a comment.

TeslaTheNorth

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The crazy thing is the engineering Guru Sandy Monroe showed that there was a pop-out panel in the rear plastic fascia where exhaust or a tow hitch would be. The only thing is it doesn't have an attachment for a hitch however it is a location that could have a modified component put in the bumper or Tesla may offer that attachment later down the line.
Sandy Munro said that he would like to see the bumper incorporate some sort of tow hitch that was hidden,so considering Tesla took some of his advice from the model 3 to the model y oh, and he loves the model y much better than the model 3 maybe there's a hope in the future that the y will get a tow hitch put into the rear bumper. The only problem is usually a tow hitch isn't part of the bumper 4 accident purposes I believe.

Just a comment.
Actually just saw that there is a tow hitch attachment so I'm wondering if it is part of the bumper? Anybody find information on that?

TeslaTheNorth

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Just a comment.
Here is the Canadian site showing the tow hitch option

Tesla Cybertruck No towing for Model Y, what about Cybertruck towing? [Update: Model Y gets tow hitch option] Screenshot_20200411_163537_com.android.chrome

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Any vehicle can "tow" (defined broadly) anything. The issues with the Y are that unless you're a Tesla technician you are not invited to make any modifications, and its rear end is not designed to accommodate a hitch without a lot of work.

And the stated towing capacity is a compromise between the legal dept (that wants the number low to protect the company) and the sales dept (which wants an impressive figure). Any number is silly anyway, because what's safe and effective is a function of the tow-vehicle weight, tongue weight, trailer specs (number of axles, hitch design, braking provisions, etc.) and especially the road. For inching along a level private drive your trailer can be twice the weight of the car. For a curvy mountain road in the rain, better think twice.
Sponsored