Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I understand that some Tesla’s have had a issue with road noise because there’s no engine sound. Does anyone have any knowledge of Tesla addressing this? I understand that there were some aftermarket door seals to double up on them. For those people that were fortunate enough to get a ride did you notice the noise especially since the tires looked pretty aggressive?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
With no engine noise wind noise and road noise become more noticeable. Tesla has been criticized for this especially by Germans who really notice the wind noise at Autobahn speed. There are limits, of course, as to what can be done with that huge windscreen on the X, for example. The tires furnished with the vehicles have a special pad of sound damping material on the inside of the tread.

The very first time I drove my X I was, for perhaps 3 seconds, convinced something was wrong because of the loud crunching of my driveway's gravel under the wheels. Comes with the territory.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
With no engine noise wind noise and road noise to become more noticeable. Tesla has been criticized for this especially by Germans who really notice the wind noise at Autobahn speed. There are limits, of course, as to what can be done with that huge windscreen on the X, for example. The tires furnished with the vehicles have a special pad of sound damping material on the inside of the tread.

The very first time I drove my X I was, for perhaps 3 seconds, convinced something was wrong because of the loud crunching of my driveway's gravel under the wheels. Comes with the territory.
Thanks for the additional information as I wasn’t aware of that. Love your vehicle choices, do you plan on keeping all? Just curious.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No, something will go depending on whim at the time either Rivian or Tesla delivers. The choices are all bucket -list motivate at this point. The sensible thing to do would be replace the Land Cruiser with an R1S and the SR5 with the CT and if both were available today that's probably what I'd do but neither is so ???

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have been driving Lexus RXs since about 2006 (before that 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees and a Toyota pickup before that), so I am used to SUV cozy-quiet And would be loathe to give it up despite liking virtually everything about the CT. I don’t know how noisy today’s full-sized ICE trucks are. Does anyone have information that might prove helpful about CT cabin noise? Does it mostly come down to the choice of tires? Thanks.
Sponsored