Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It also depends on the size and design of vehicle. Smaller compact cars poke out a lesser distance. In smaller car, the driver might not need to lean their head to steering wheel to see past obstruction.
I don’t think it’s clear at all that the issue here was visibility. The car was well out into traffic where visibility was no longer an issue and it still had problems.

As a defensive driver I too avoid these situations WHEN I can. If I know ahead of time.
But you don't always know ahead of time. And you can't always backup.
My point wasn’t that Tesla shouldn’t address this, they absolutely should.

My point was that the navigation failure is actually more important than the failure to navigate a tough intersection. While a human might not know an intersection is bad, the navigation system clearly *does* have access to this knowledge. You don’t need to know if there are obstructions to see this is a bad intersection. Crossing 3 lanes of traffic and entering into a 4th is something the nav computer should go to lengths to avoid.

If there is a safer route and the nav system chooses to route the car through this intersection, that is far more concerning to me than it’s ability to actually navigate the intersection.
Sponsored

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
------------------------------------------

Behind the wheel with #Tesla #FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook, Episode 292
Chuck Cook, former military fighter pilot, currently airline pilot, aeronautical engineer, a prominent Tesla FSD Beta tester.
Alain Kornhauser, Princeton University Faculty Chair Autonomous Vehicle Engineering (PAVE), Professor of Operations Research and Financial Engineering, Director of the Program in Transportation.
Fred Fishkin, journalist, story- teller and photographer.
Episode 292 of Smart Driving Cars for a look at where FSD is today.
Nov 18, 2022
Smart Driving Cars Podcast

video cued to FSD discussion

-------

------------------------------------------

Last edited:
OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Will Cybertruck have a camera in front grille that could better see high-speed cross traffic like Chuck Cook unprotected left turn with blocked view ?

Will Cybertruck be able to see Around Corners!!
View blocked by walls, bushes, parked vehicles, vehicles in adjacent lanes while exiting parking/driveway or entering streets - see pedestrians or approaching vehicles.

----------------------

Cars That Can See Around Corners? Ford in Europe Launches Video Technology That Could Help Drivers Avoid Collisions.
Ford’s Front Split View Camera – installed in the front grille – offers a 180-degree view of traffic approaching that drivers would otherwise have to edge forwards to see
23-jun-2015 | COLOGNE, Germany
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-corners--ford-in-europe-launches-video-.html

The Car That Can See Around Corners
Ford’s Front Split View Camera – installed in the front grille – offers a 180-degree view of traffic approaching that drivers would otherwise have to edge forwards to see
Jun 23, 2015
Ford News Europe

------

----------------------

2019 Ford EDGE, Trims Titanium or ST - SPECIFICATIONS Accessible Edge Brochure
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...urces/general/pdf/guides/19_Edge_SpecLite.pdf

front Split-View Camera with Washer

----------------------

Volvo Junction view - camera in grille
2020 Volvo XC90 Xanium 360 Surround Camera - See Around Corners!!
Volvo Xc90 Xanium Pack included surround camera which has 360 degree top view and 180 around corner view cameras.
Oct 5, 2020
V - LINE

-------

----------------------

Volvo XC60 Front Blind View Parking Camera - See Around Corners!!
Exiting parking/driveway or entering streets - see pedestrians or approaching vehicles.
Volvo Car USA

------

----------------------

Will Cybertruck have a camera in front grille that could better see high-speed cross traffic like Chuck Cook unprotected left turn ?

Tesla Cybertruck Not enough cameras for FSD - a physic-driven simulation 1668839418597-

Tesla Cybertruck Not enough cameras for FSD - a physic-driven simulation 1668839329696-jpe

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The Volvo camera menu is cumbersome. It should show 360 automatically when it comes to a stop, even just a partial screen, and then you can select the front camera straight out. With FSD it could just show the occupancy map all the way down the road.

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
The Volvo camera menu is cumbersome. It should show 360 automatically when it comes to a stop, even just a partial screen, and then you can select the front camera straight out. With FSD it could just show the occupancy map all the way down the road.

Agree that Volvo has done a poor job of implementation. Ford's looks poor too.

Tesla new cameras should be much higher resolution than Volvo's.

What I hope is that Tesla puts two cameras (one on each front side) in the front grill (or headlights) that point forward but angled 10-15 degree to the side so they can get undistorted views of environment 180 degrees to the front edge of vehicle (approach cross traffic). These cameras should be primarily for FSD to create more accurate and longer range (100-120 meter) views of cross traffic (especially higher speed traffic, 45-65mph).

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla might be testing a refreshed Model 3 with a camera on side of each headlight.

-----------------------------------

* video cued to 1:52 minute - Tesla Model 3 prototype spotted ahead of rumored design refresh

Tesla EV News 12.5.22• 2-Door Cybertruck Rumor• Tesla Semi: Autopilot?
Dec 5, 2022
Electrek Daily

-------

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla might be testing a refreshed Model 3 with a camera on side of each headlight.

* video cued to 1:52 minute - Tesla Model 3 prototype spotted ahead of rumored design refresh

Tesla EV News 12.5.22• 2-Door Cybertruck Rumor• Tesla Semi: Autopilot?
Dec 5, 2022
Electrek Daily

-------

I don't see it. More silly rumors. Tesla hasn't ever used alot of camo. Covers, sure, camo, no.

-Crissa
Sponsored