Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did I REALLY just see them pouring water...on the ocean!?!?!!?
I did. The nuts is world.
In this video it looks like it. Reuters news says they used nitrogen to control the fire.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
In this video it looks like it. Reuters news says they used nitrogen to control the fire.
It is ALL explained in one word. PEMEX
They make the Keystone Cops look like SpaceX engineers. I used to work in the TX & LA Gulf offshore oil fields in the 80's and they have not changed much I see. :ROFLMAO:

A fire on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico erupted after a gas leak from an underwater pipeline sparked a blaze, according to Mexico’s state-owned Pemex petrol company.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
Uhhh... How the eff does a fire start underwater??

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibr...giant-fire-erupts-in-gulf-after-pipeline-leak

Gee, thanks PEMEX, we get that there was a leak, kind of hard to have a Eye of Fire without fuel in the ocean. I'm thinking PEMEX has left out sooner other critical details.

@Red61224 what are some possible/probable scenarios for something like this?
You would be amazed at what you would find if the Gulf of Mexico was drained and you could actually see what was on or "near" the bottom (supposed to be buried ) pipelines. PEMEX is their own worst enemy. The fire is not underwater but the natural gas is burning off at the surface but with such volume and churning up the surface, this was probably a main trunk line coming in from the field towards the beach and the water over the leak is extremely aerated and will give the "underwater" effect. They could of been doing a "hot-tap" (where you tap into a existing line) and did not flood the line," hey, we are Pemex what could go wrong" (everything). What I am stumped about is how it was ignited. The nearby production platform looks o.k. and not torched. Maybe or maybe not we will find out but I doubt it.

On the good side, this is only natural gas and minimal environmental impact, sure it's scary looking but I have seen worse. Think Deepwater Horizon.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, there are natural examples of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater

Yes, it was set on fire by humans, but there are Roman and Greek depictions of the same sort of outgassing. Burned gas is safer for the environment than unburned.

-Crissa