Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Gotten a little addicted to Matt’s Off Road Recovery on YouTube lately and ran into this video where they have a mostly stock Suburban doing some pretty crazy trails. I’ve also seen some fairly stock trucks doing Slickrock trail near Bear Valley California.

I think I’ve posted some videos of Bear Valley before, but this one got me thinking about how crazy I’d want to get in the Cybertruck and what it would be capable of. This guy does some pretty impressive stuff with a stock Suburban. I think the Cybertruck should be able to do better. Video should be queued to where I think the video gets interesting, but you might want to skip ahead a bit to see the actual off roading.

I also want that winch setup. Pretty slick.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Suburbans are stupidly capable in the right hands. They're just a truck with the back replaced with a cab.

They're way too big for what they're usually used for, the suburbs.

-Crissa
Yep.

It’s a good analog for the Cybertruck in terms of size. Cybertruck should be quite a bit more capable. The bigger wheels, better approach angle, better clearance, and low center of gravity should make it tremendous. The only big downsize to the CT is weight. It’s a bit of a fatty.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
The only big downsize to the CT is weight.
un-SWAG
CT1 5680 lbs.
CT2 6019 lbs.
CT3 6097 lbs.
CT4 5730 lbs.
Chev Suburban ~7500 lbs.

Cybertruck will own stability with a lower CG. And weight is a CT strength. It will feel more lively in the handling department. Where Chevy Suburban never lets you forget — you are driving a heavy truck.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It’s a bit of a fatty.
I'd say it has "heavy bones." ;)

But I think by far the biggest advantage, if Tesla does it right, is going to be the torque vectoring traction control on the quad motor and the air suspension to equalise vehicle weight onto each wheel.

That will mean maximum traction per wheel and still have the full ability to steer in the direction you want at the same time. Those things tend to be mutually exclusive in most 4X4s and you have to make up for it with driver skill. In the CT, except for momentum control (which could be a FSD addon), every driver will be capable so long they aren't really silly.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
In the CT, except for momentum control (which could be a FSD addon), every driver will be capable so long they aren't really silly.
Oh man....! So much for my being able to have fun in a CT. Too much silly means being an incapable driver?

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Without a doubt the Cybertruck is going to be the most capable (mass market) off-road vehicle of all time.

You have electric motors producing far higher torque than ever seen before, at any wheel speed, while computers with millisecond precision adjust traction at all four wheels individually.
Right there, you have blown away anything an ICE vehicle will ever achieve.
Please allow me to proceed.

Four wheel steering.

Suspension travel farther than any springs. Each air spring individually computer controlled.

Gigacast aluminum front and rear combined with structural battery pack AND structural stainless steel body provide torsional rigidity an order of magnitude greater than anything seen before.

Completely flat undercarriage, with no protrusions of any kind.

Machine Learning produces over-the-air upgrades, as time goes by. Yes, these will happen for the off-roaders too.

That's pretty good start.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This guy does some pretty impressive stuff with a stock Suburban.
that really was pretty impressive. Especially since it didn’t appear to have particularly capable tires.

The only big downsize to the CT is weight. It’s a bit of a fatty.

though on that particular bit of trail, I’d think more weight was a distinct advantage of the suburban? Compare that Cherokee, with serious offroad tires, on which it could hardly find traction.

with the CT’s power, and the right tires, all that weight (down so low) should help it to crawl right up … (especially if it has a granny gear :))

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So the big question is how the Cybertruck would drive compared to the heavily modified Cherokee then?

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Departure angle on the newer prototypes doesn't seem great though.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So the big question is how the Cybertruck would drive compared to the heavily modified Cherokee then?
Both the Suburban and the Jeep had only traction problems.

I think the CT, being no larger than the suburban (which fit the trail), having better clearance than the suburban (which didn’t bottom out), and more powerful than the jeep (which eventually did pull itself up), has to only find better traction than the jeep or suburban.

And as for the traction, while the size and contact patch of the tires will be a big variable, just as important is weight over the tires.

That Cherokee has large, gripping, tires but almost no weight over its rear tires, so they just spun.

The weight and weight distribution of a CT I think let’s it crawl this trail assuming any modestly trail worthy 35” tire.

I await your testing of this!

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
iv seen alot of these videos where the guy rolls back down the hill. Are you willing to risk that with your CT. Its not demolition derby but its close

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I await your testing of this!
Me too. Though I need to skill up or have a knowledgeable friend along to do it.

iv seen alot of these videos where the guy rolls back down the hill. Are you willing to risk that with your CT. Its not demolition derby but its close
Yeah, it’s definitely going to leave a few dents. I wouldn’t try it on a trail like this for a long time. That said, this is what the Cybertruck is made for.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
The worst is when it slides or leans sideways into something, lots more damage then.
Sponsored