Off-Road Mode (Like Track Mode but for Off Roading)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla posted this cool blurb about Track Mode and I instantly thought about what this might mean for the Cybertruck. What kind of crazy off-road specific tweaks could they put in there for off roading aside from the track mode specific stuff?

(The second one demos the things you can tweak for track mode)

One weird one I’d like is a hill peak mode. When you crest a hill, the downhill can disappear under the hood. Cybertruck should be a lot better at this, but what if you could raise the rear and lower the front suspension just as you crest the hill so you can see what’s actually there? Maybe the truck automatically runs the rear a bit higher on climbs. Obviously if it did this, you’d want to be able to tweak it if there are rocks and features you need to clear.

I know we’ve talked about this before, but seeing the demo of the tweaks you can do peaked my interest again. Thoughts? Do you guys think an off-road mode will be there? Maybe there is an unlock or an upgrade?

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
One weird one I’d like is a hill peak mode. When you crest a hill, the downhill can disappear under the hood. Cybertruck should be a lot better at this, but what if you could raise the rear and lower the front suspension just as you crest the hill so you can see what’s actually there? Maybe the truck automatically runs the rear a bit higher on climbs. Obviously if it did this, you’d want to be able to tweak it if there are rocks and features you need to clear.
would you prefer this over camera solutions? I’ve had camera solutions in other vehicles, and for hill peaks they tend to give me mild vertigo. Not sure what’s worse - not seeing and so using a spotter, or seeing through fun house distortions.

For “off-road mode,” I’d want an option to free up any constraints on manipulating the air suspension (!?). Provide the option, at least, to make the air suspension completely dumb and user-defined.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think they brought track mode to the Performance Y finally?

They also have a sort of limited slip mode for off-roading but it’s kind of meh.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
But I thought we were getting "Full Self Offroading"
So basically, offroading becomes something like a roller coaster experience. You are belted in for the ride. The truck decides what line (and thus what level of fear) to take.

Just hope the Full Self Offroading knows its own skill level and can truly get you in and out of the situations you might encounter. It would suck to trust FSOR to get you through a bunch of highly skilled obstacles (way past what you as a driver would ever do yourself) and then get stuck somewhere forcing you to drive out on your own (in spite of not having the necessary skill or experience).

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So basically, offroading becomes something like a roller coaster experience. You are belted in for the ride. The truck decides what line (and thus what level of fear) to take.

Just hope the Full Self Offroading knows its own skill level and can truly get you in and out of the situations you might encounter. It would suck to trust FSOR to get you through a bunch of highly skilled obstacles (way past what you as a driver would ever do yourself) and then get stuck somewhere forcing you to drive out on your own (in spite of not having the necessary skill or experience).
I wouldn’t want ride-along off-roading. But if it had an ”Extract” mode for when I screwed something up and can’t figure it out, that would be rad.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I wouldn’t want ride-along off-roading. But if it had an ”Extract” mode for when I screwed something up and can’t figure it out, that would be rad.
in the past some of us have talked about an emergency extract mode for offroading. I agree that it would be very helpful to have such. What other vehicle could make such a claim?

And for emergency situations, Tesla should implement an ambulance mode. So the next time someone is having a baby on the interstate, the car can keep heading safely to the nearest emergency room without needing to be driven. Also useful for other medical emergencies. Take that Volvo. Seat belts are so old fashioned. If you want the safest car, make it accident safe and implement ambulance mode.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
in the past some of us have talked about an emergency extract mode for offroading. I agree that it would be very helpful to have such. What other vehicle could make such a claim?

And for emergency situations, Tesla should implement an ambulance mode. So the next time someone is having a baby on the interstate, the car can keep heading safely to the nearest emergency room without needing to be driven. Also useful for other medical emergencies. Take that Volvo. Seat belts are so old fashioned. If you want the safest car, make it accident safe and implement ambulance mode.
Also ideal if the driver becomes incapacitated.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Also ideal if the driver becomes incapacitated.
Like after a night on a bender it drives you straight to the cop shop to be booked? 🤣

I like ambulance mode though.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
How is this “News”?

It’s like…. 7 years old and we’ve known FSD wasn’t fully baked for at least 5 of that. Even the bit about the engineer and the accident came out like a year ago or more.
I guess I missed the bulletin on it. New to me.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
One thing I would like to see in off road mode, would be a way to have much slower throttle response. Having massive amounts of horsepower while trying to go slow rock crawling could be twitchy. On my E-bike I have 0-5 settings for the percentage of motor power available. I have mine set for 1=14% 2=33% 3=50% 4=75% 5 =100%. Something like this could be helpful. I don't want to get bounced from a bump while going slow, and accidentally push the throttle to the floor with 100% power in a slow section. o_O

I think Electric Motocross Motorcycles have similar setups where you can limit power available.
Sponsored