Ok if GM/Ford go under?

TeslaHugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
With the massive migration to EVs, would you guys be ok if Ford and GM, and other big manufacturers went under or would you rather have them stick around?

Innovation happens from the outside, in the next century I personally would rather have new the comers like Tesla, Rivian, and other EV startups become the giants. We'll probably most of the innovations from them anyway. I just read claims from the ICE manufacturers about how awesome their EVs are going to be.

What are you thoughts?
Sponsored

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I'm no economics guy, but I recently took a class where it was saying alot of our exports are vehicles, food, aircraft, this is aparently why the government gives them help.
Because of this, I think the government would try very hard to prevent the big legacy companies from failing.

But I also think it would be fine if like u say the new ev manufacturers basically replace the legacy companies. It will be interesting to see what happens. One thing i do know is battery makers are gonna make alot

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
With the massive migration to EVs, would you guys be ok if Ford and GM, and other big manufacturers went under or would you rather have them stick around?

Innovation happens from the outside, in the next century I personally would rather have new the comers like Tesla, Rivian, and other EV startups become the giants. We'll probably most of the innovations from them anyway. I just read claims from the ICE manufacturers about how awesome their EVs are going to be.

What are you thoughts?
I am not okay with them going under. Where would we get trucks to pull backwards with our Cybertrucks?

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
tesla is going to want other EV manufacturers in a decade or so. Tesla will be the oem for self driving (database), batteries and other components. Tesla can't please an infinite number of styling/interior desires but can achieve an 100% EV universe that is built/licensed on their tech.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I don’t want any of them to go under, but they’re not being very proactive on the EV front. So far their offerings leave a lot to be desired.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I don’t want any of them to go under, but they’re not being very proactive on the EV front. So far their offerings leave a lot to be desired.
The Mustang Mach E is VERY close to the Model Y is almost every category. They'll get there... the F150 Electric is going to sell a BUNCH of trucks.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
IMO it is going to to take massive restructuring of the current OEMs if they want to succeed in EVs. their bottle neck will always be batteries. The battery companies will play them off each other Re contracts, constantly raising prices, thus raising the price of the OEM EVs, making it difficult for them to be competitive. Tesla will soon have a major advantage here when they're making their own patented cells. Vertical integration will be key if the OEMs want to be competitive, which would be an utterly massive undertaking for the current OEMs where everything is outsourced. beyond that is software and charging infrastructure, it's a huge uphill battle for them.
Do I want the the OEMs to go down? No for the sole reason that there are many families that rely on the income working for them. It is not the employs fault that their employer procrastinated on the EV front and ignored what they were undoubtedly seeing come out of Tesla.
The OEMs should go down for burying past attempts at clean energy vehicles.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
The Mustang Mach E is VERY close to the Model Y is almost every category. They'll get there... the F150 Electric is going to sell a BUNCH of trucks.
It’s promising, but they need to work on the charging infrastructure. The current EA network makes it possible to travel longer distance, but a far cry from what’s available with Tesla.

I could see getting the Mach E if I didn’t plan on lots of travel, but I do.

Reactions: Irv

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
It’s promising, but they need to work on the charging infrastructure. The current EA network makes it possible to travel longer distance, but a far cry from what’s available with Tesla.

I agree. It's the whole "chicken and egg" conundrum. They are going to have to rely on existing or emerging charging infrastructure at first. They'll never get anywhere with a propriety plug like Tesla has. However, it's possible that their "network" could outstrip Tesla's fairly quickly as they don't have to put out funds to build the network out. They can leave that to someone else. Of course, that won't give them much of an advantage over anyone except companies with proprietary plugs like Tesla. Of course, owners of Teslas can also charge at other places. It's just that Fords can't charge at Tesla chargers.

However, if Ford suddenly starts popping out F-150E and Mach E vehicles in volumes Tesla can't match, businesses that are looking to put a couple of charge locations at their stores will be less inclined to exclude all the Fords by installing Tesla-specific equipment and will most likely opt for universal-style charging stations.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

What are you thoughts?
The country’s economy is dependent on The Big Three (too big to fail). We need competition. We need more EVS. There are many die-hard fans of those name plates. Once the market push is there they will switch. Better to keep them around.

OP
OP
TeslaHugger

TeslaHugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag

Agreed, I still don't know why no other manufacturer haven't signed up to use the supercharger network. I don't see each manufacturer setting up their own charging network. I haven't heard anything about manufacturers dumping money into growing EAs network either.

The country’s economy is dependent on The Big Three (too big to fail). We need competition. We need more EVS. There are many die-hard fans of those name plates. Once the market push is there they will switch. Better to keep them around.
I would think the new pure EV manufacturers would hire those people. We'll always need people to build cars. I'm thinking this will be a slow transition at first, like the s curve of adoption, as the new EV manufacturers get bigger, the old ICE manufacturers will get smaller.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
IMO it is going to to take massive restructuring of the current OEMs if they want to succeed in EVs. their bottle neck will always be batteries. The battery companies will play them off each other Re contracts, constantly raising prices, thus raising the price of the OEM EVs, making it difficult for them to be competitive. Tesla will soon have a major advantage here when they're making their own patented cells. Vertical integration will be key if the OEMs want to be competitive, which would be an utterly massive undertaking for the current OEMs where everything is outsourced. beyond that is software and charging infrastructure, it's a huge uphill battle for them.
Do I want the the OEMs to go down? No for the sole reason that there are many families that rely on the income working for them. It is not the employs fault that their employer procrastinated on the EV front and ignored what they were undoubtedly seeing come out of Tesla.
The OEMs should go down for burying past attempts at clean energy vehicles.
I agree with everything you said. Plus, I feel all the retiree's would be hurt too. It's not the workers fault that the company they put their blood and sweet into gets disrupted and left in the dust. GM and Ford are stuck in a hard place. It will be difficult to phase in EV's and make their other ICE vehicles obsolete. Plus their business model relies on the dealer network with parts & maintenance being a major part of the profits. Tesla has lots of advantages over the old Giants of industry.

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag

What are you thoughts?
I would prefer Ford and GM stay so they could continue to demonstrate their inferiority to Tesla.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Ford has been talking about an electric F150 for more than 5 years now.... and we still know nothing about it - I'm not holding my breath.... that's why I reserved a CT.
Sponsored