Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Kinda funny that you have to have the spray in bed liner in order to get the option but it would be nice for some people.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This.....

The 60/40 split would seem to be mostly incompatible with the ramp. But I like the step up and the multiple entry. Loading would seem easier with the ramp though.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Here’s a video showing what a new one has for available option. Note the sticker price of $76k.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
What keeps it from eating grandma's fingers as she uses the step-up? Why didn't they just put that on the flip-down tailgate?

-Crissa
Makes me think... The tailgate is already very thick as it has the ramp inside. Could just make the whole outside portion of the tailgate be a pull-down affair to use as the step-up. Being a full-width step seems like it would be much safer in the sense that when stepping down you don't need to be so on-target with your stepping foot.

I'm thinking something like this:

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? Cybertruck_tailgate

I'm not a graphic artist but hopefully, that image makes sense.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Here’s a video showing what a new one has for available option. Note the sticker price of $76k.
And an extra 72 lbs on the tailgate? What is the load capacity of that split tailgate when folded down?

I hope the CyberTruck forces other manufactures to include side bed storage as standard (ala Rambox). Really, why not have that on every truck?

They are going to have to do something to compete.

As for the etorque only being a $200 option... Seems the most reasonably priced mild hybrid option I have seen... but I would have just made it standard.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The 60/40 split would seem to be mostly incompatible with the ramp. But I like the step up and the multiple entry. Loading would seem easier with the ramp though.
could be a full length swing as well instead of the split. However, it could still work with the 60/40 split, there would just be two ramps (one in each door) with a small gap in-between.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I just want a normal Tailgate.. Tesla is not gonna go through the trouble to make some super complicated tail gate.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Makes me think... The tailgate is already very thick as it has the ramp inside. Could just make the whole outside portion of the tailgate be a pull-down affair to use as the step-up. Being a full-width step seems like it would be much safer in the sense that when stepping down you don't need to be so on-target with your stepping foot.

I'm thinking something like this:

Cybertruck_tailgate.png

I'm not a graphic artist but hopefully, that image makes sense.
Was thinking about this option today and realized that with this option the “step” would actually work as a bench and the tailgate would be a picnic table.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Im Interested to see what that angle is on the reveal ramp. It looks like many motorcycles wouldn't be able to get over it. And it looks like there is grip tape on it.

But the angle on the other pic is sweet.

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 20201006_121824

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? 20201006_121743

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Im Interested to see what that angle is on the reveal ramp. It looks like many motorcycles wouldn't be able to get over it. And it looks like there is grip tape on it.

But the angle on the other pic is sweet.

20201006_121824.jpg

20201006_121743.jpg
Yes it looks like in the rendering the tailgate can drop down past a 90 degree angle. I guess we will see how that works out in production.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Have the tailgate at a 45 degree angle pointed to the ground, include permanent foot notches so the tailgate becomes a staircase. Approach keeps it simple and does not add significant weight.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Yes it looks like in the rendering the tailgate can drop down past a 90 degree angle. I guess we will see how that works out in production.
Even in the unveiling they show the tailgate going slightly past 90 degrees. That doesn't mean it won't be stoppable at 90 degrees. He seemed to do something to make it go further, but that might just be what I thought i saw.

Deleted member 5322

I highly doubt it is a step, but this screenshot from one of the video that was posted on this site is clrealy shows that someone actually used it as a step. I can see a footprint on it!

Tesla Cybertruck Only one tailgate option. Why? image_2021-05-29_214741

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I love the ramp, and will probably only use it as a stilted platform extension for my in-vault tent. That is if my idea to replace the ramp with solar panels on drawer slides doesn't pan out. An integrated ramp that doesn't slide away when hit with a load seems way way way less stressful to me.

I'd much rather attach an aftermarket swing-out step on the bumper then lose a multi-functional ramp/bed extension/picnic table/tent wall (when vertical)/ect. Also the ramp at reveal is a prototype or proof of concept. The angle isn't final, it just needed to work for the showing. As a friendly PSA, make a ramp significantly less steep by backing up to a curb. I really can't believe the cyberlandr didn't incorporate the ramp in any way.
Sponsored

Last edited: