Permanent stealth mode from police radar / laser?

Foxx

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Outback, Eventually a damn Cybertruck
Occupation
Flight Nurse/paramedic/Fire medic, Major USAF
Country flag
I’m speculating that the angular design of the CyberTruck will perpendicularly reflect radar emissions, effectively making it more difficult for police to get a return. Anyone out there that can verify or refute my hypothesis?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Reflection will be largely specular as with any smooth surface but as the surfaces will not be entirely smooth with respect to wavelength scale we cannot assume that these will be any less detectable than any other vehicle.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm not a laser scientist and have no idea to pretend what I'm saying, but the front bumper is flat (only angled on the sides) and I'd imagine that it would reflect back, happy as a clam, to the laser gun.

Although, I do love the idea of a radar-proof CT!!! ? That adds to the futuristic feel haha!!

Maybe someone can stalk SpaceX with radar just waiting for CT to poke its head out? ?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
By the time we get our trucks, most of us probably will have Tesla insurance. As soon as that redneck in the monster truck in the next lane gives you the bird, CT camera will pick it up and Insurance database will come online to record your every move. Your pulse rate, skin temperature, how hard you are squeezing the steering wheel .....will increase your insurance rates. Police wouldn’t be even bothering to turn on their radar. They will be watching Netflix on the side of the road, enjoying their donuts because they will already have a deal with Tesla to get your driving records. If you opt out of sharing your data, you will be paying twice as much for insurance. You will be driving that TriMotor slower than Grandma in front of you ;)

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Perhaps some of the least reflective paint in the world would be in order:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Have to say I like that black paint look. Not sure I’d put it on a CT. One of the big selling points of the CT was not having any paint to get scratched or dinged.

But can you imagine a roadster in this black? That might be fun. I’m curious how the paint will perform over time though. Will it peel? How does it handle dirt or road grime? What would a clear coat look like on top? Or wax?

And I’m not typically one to go for aftermarket paint. So could we get this as an option from Tesla?

Or perhaps it could be done with a wrap? If it’s a wrap I’d be tempted to put it on my CT.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Have to say I like that black paint look. Not sure I’d put it on a CT. One of the big selling points of the CT was not having any paint to get scratched or dinged.

But can you imagine a roadster in this black? That might be fun. I’m curious how the paint will perform over time though. Will it peel? How does it handle dirt or road grime? What would a clear coat look like on top? Or wax?

And I’m not typically one to go for aftermarket paint. So could we get this as an option from Tesla?

Or perhaps it could be done with a wrap? If it’s a wrap I’d be tempted to put it on my CT.
They cover nearly all of those questions in the video. =)

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Not a fan of that black. I want to see the shape of the surface of the car. Specially sport cars are often curvy and beautifully designed. Even CT lines are better seen than hidden. I don’t like supper shiny surfaces either but some reflection is needed to see the change and breaks in surface. Besides reflections in every environment and lighting gives your car a new look. With this black, the car is always just the same boring silhouette. Also, CT steel will reflect a lot of heat in summer. I wonder if this will make a BBQ out of the driver.

Last edited:

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
Much will depend on the headlights. Most of the time when cos run laser they put the dot on one of the headlight buckets and get the reflection from there. That is why it is near impossible to beat a prepared Officer in court when they used laser.

Radar is more general and reflects off of the whole vehicle. I doubt the CT will be effective in reducing the return signal enough to make a much difference.

Rory_RedDog

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual motor CyberTruck
Country flag
By the time we get our trucks, most of us probably will have Tesla insurance. As soon as that redneck in the monster truck in the next lane gives you the bird, CT camera will pick it up and Insurance database will come online to record your every move. Your pulse rate, skin temperature, how hard you are squeezing the steering wheel .....will increase your insurance rates. Police wouldn’t be even bothering to turn on their radar. They will be watching Netflix on the side of the road, enjoying their donuts because they will already have a deal with Tesla to get your driving records. If you opt out of sharing your data, you will be paying twice as much for insurance. You will be driving that TriMotor slower than Grandma in front of you ;)
Maybe that won't happen in the event of a global apocalypse ???

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Not to worry. FSD will happen before all that so Tesla will be the driver.

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
The stealth vehicles seem to not have any surface that is perpendicular the the forward face.
and the surfaces also seem to have a dull, non-reflective finish.
That blackest black paint is way too fragile for something outdoors. It is also very expensive.
Sponsored