A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, very possible (2.9 that is, not 1.9). I did a few calculations in another post here and it all sort of comes together. If you are going to pull 14000 pounds up a fair grade in reasonable time it takes a lot of torque to get that weight plus the weight of the truck moving. Take the trailer off and the truck still has the torque and is going to accelerate pretty darn fast.

Yes, the torque transferred to the road is a function of slip so indeed a lot of rubber is going to be left on the road - if you choose to come out of every traffic light and stop sign at 0.94 g.
Sponsored

REDBARON

First Name
Matt/Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Instructor
Country flag
Forgive me for not knowing this but when I read that Tesla may be coming out with a Plaid Cybertruck I was thinking "Tartan? that wont look good at all!." Can someone explain to me what this really is? Thanks.
Spaceballs the movie.
It's a spoof on hyperspace jumps from Star Wars. Their ship goes to plaid, they went so fast. Great film. Time for a rewatch.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You may be right, however Tesla's current dual motor options are not synonymous with ludicrous. It may be that the tri motor CT will have a "plaid" setting for acceleration, although I doubt it. That will probably be reserved for the roadster and maybe the S/X.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
You may be right, however Tesla's current dual motor options are not synonymous with ludicrous. It may be that the tri motor CT will have a "plaid" setting for acceleration, although I doubt it. That will probably be reserved for the roadster and maybe the S/X.
In the very least, the tri-motor will be a prerequisite , other things may be added, better breaks, software tweaks, perhaps a special configuration to the power train to increase the power output, can't wait to find out.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
In the very least, the tri-motor will be a prerequisite , other things may be added, better breaks, software tweaks, perhaps a special configuration to the power train to increase the power output, can't wait to find out.
Undoubtedly. Currently the maximum draw out of the batteries in the new update for S/X is about 615 kwh. I imagine that would be plenty to get a tri motor CT up to 60 in 2.9. I have little doubt that Tesla will figure out a way to draw the energy out even quicker as time goes by, maybe even by the time the CT comes out.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Spaceballs the movie.
It's a spoof on hyperspace jumps from Star Wars. Their ship goes to plaid, they went so fast. Great film. Time for a rewatch.
Spaceballs spoof of hospital lingo: code yellow / code red / code blue.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Undoubtedly. Currently the maximum draw out of the batteries in the new update for S/X is about 615 kwh.
Curious as to where you got that number. Assuming the X weighs 2500 kg and is torque limited up to 60 mph and power limited beyond that the draw at 60 (reached in 4.4 sec) would be 409 kW.

I imagine that would be plenty to get a tri motor CT up to 60 in 2.9.
Assuming the CT to be heavier than the X at 2700 kg it would take 670 kW max to accelerate it to 60 in 2.9 sec.

I have little doubt that Tesla will figure out a way to draw the energy out even quicker as time goes by, maybe even by the time the CT comes out.
409 kW from the X's 100 kWh battery represents a discharge rate of about 4C. 670 kW would represent 6.7C from the 100 kWh battery in the X. But assuming the TriMotor will have a battery about twice as big as the Xs that 670 kW draw would only represent about 3.4C. IOW I think they have already figures this out.[/QUOTE]

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
There is a video of a guy who hooks up one of those aftermarket Tesla readers and his tops out at about 615kwh after the cheetah update. The current Model X is rated by Tesla at 2.6 to 60. That’s with a dual motor configuration. The CT will be heavier no doubt, but I’m not sure where you got your calculations. I’m sure 615kwh draw will propel the tri motor CT to 60 in 2.9, Elon wouldn’t have said it if it was patently false. Elon stretches the truth in other areas, but not performance.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
There is a video of a guy who hooks up one of those aftermarket Tesla readers and his tops out at about 615kwh after the cheetah update. The current Model X is rated by Tesla at 2.6 to 60. That’s with a dual motor configuration. The CT will be heavier no doubt, but I’m not sure where you got your calculations. I’m sure 615kwh draw will propel the tri motor CT to 60 in 2.9, Elon wouldn’t have said it if it was patently false. Elon stretches the truth in other areas, but not performance.
My bad the, the video shows the internal read outs in the Tesla hitting 614kwh max draw

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-ordered Cybertruck 3-motor
Occupation
Research
Country flag
Forgive me for not knowing this but when I read that Tesla may be coming out with a Plaid Cybertruck I was thinking "Tartan? that wont look good at all!." Can someone explain to me what this really is? Thanks.
Have you ever watched Spaceballs-The Movie. Tesla seems to have gotten several ideas from that flick.
  • Ludacris Speed
    • When the ship reaches Ludacris Speed the stars go from blue-shift to Plaid!
  • When Yogurt is showing off the gift shop, the best item in the shop is a kid sized flame thrower.
I'm sure there's a few other things, but I can't force myself to watch Space Balls-The Movie again.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
The 0-60 will be even more terrifying, in a good way :>
I am going to have to work on my core strength. After repeated launches with my brother test driving a model Y (not even the performance version) my sternum hurt. We did have fun comparing the Tesla to our weaker I.C.E. cars and trucks though.

Bitmaster

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I have been assuming the tri motor will be “plaid”
Didn't Elon get rid of the Tri motor version, and replaced it with the Quad?