• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Tesla batteries have proven to last quite a while, with many racking up over a couple hundred thousand miles by now. My Model 3 battery has 67K on it and it barely has lost any range. The few batteries we've heard about failing, were often ones abused with frequent supercharging from the lower to upper extremes. I think we can expect the newer 4680 batteries to last even longer, but time will tell. But if the past tells us anything, Tesla has been trying to assure their batteries last. The Cybertruck web page does specify the battery warranty for 8 years or 150K miles minimum. Tesla batteries have been typically lasting well longer than their warranty timeline or miles. So I hope this might give you some optimism on the battery aspects of it.

- ÆCIII
Sponsored

LordGeo

First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Real Estate Investor
Country flag
I don’t understand what people were expecting. They literally raised the price the exact amount of inflation. People act like the pandemic didn’t happen right after the announcement.
no, they didn't. if they did only raise the prices directly with inflation, the RWD (originally $39,000) would be $47,000 but is actually $60k. Dual motor (originally $49,000) would be $59,000 but is $80k. Tri-motor (originally $69,000) would be $83,000 but is actually $100k. The prices were raised far beyond inflation.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
no, they didn't. if they did only raise the prices directly with inflation, the RWD (originally $39,000) would be $47,000 but is actually $60k. Dual motor (originally $49,000) would be $59,000 but is $80k. Tri-motor (originally $69,000) would be $83,000 but is actually $100k. The prices were raised far beyond inflation.
You're right in that inflation doesn't cover all of it, but more importantly it's a completely different truck than what was at the 2019 reveal. So with it's many improvements and changes throughout if Tesla had revealed this truck back in 2019 we can't even begin to know what their price would've been for it then.

It's pointless to compare prices and timelines of two different trucks just because they look similar and have the same name. The whole thing is very different throughout besides just being more optimally sized. Rear wheel steering wasn't even a thing on the 2019 version, and that's just one example. That in itself is a significant and fundamental redesign, let alone all the other improvements that were made.

I think the better approach is to simply look at the price versus what the Cybertruck has compared to other new trucks both EV and ICE, and then decide what's best for your situation. It's kind of useless to point to a past truck and then try crying foul when one, it was a very different truck, and two, Tesla specified that the prices displayed back then were only estimates anyway.

We should know from experience that in Tesla's design approach and timelines, a lot can change before final production, and in this case a lot has changed for the better IMO.

- ÆCIII

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
No, I'm just a follower like yourself. I'm humbled a little by your compliments actually. I haven't heard much about the onboard compressor. I think if there is one for the suspension height, that it would be closed, sealed and dedicated to that. They wouldn't want external contaminants back sucking through the lines into that system from an external tap at least that's what I would think.

My opinion - Elon may not be perfect but I think he has heartfelt good intentions. Sometimes he may 'jump the gun' a little when he speaks and then his team-leads and support engineers maybe reign him in when they remind him of what can be done realistically at scale. Elon himself has said on multiple occasions that "Prototyping is easy, manufacturing (at scale) is many times harder".

Still he's delivered more than others. I think he should be judged by what he delivers compared to others, and not by comparisons to his own aspirations. Everyone should have the right to dream and aspire, because if we didn't we would not progress in anything. Elon often uses qualifiers when predicting a future product, like saying "probably...", or "should be able to...", or "if all goes as planned..." or similar things like that - but many don't hear that and just hold him to the punch line as if it were a contractual promise or something. I think many should learn to be more critical listeners and avoid the tendency to assimilate just what we 'want to hear'.

- ÆCIII

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Don't forget that it's a smaller, less capable truck than promised too...
If another manufacturer missed their goals and increased their prices by this much they would be ridiculed (rightly).

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Good points and he did mention the compressor. My reference to qualifiers was not specific enough so I should've left it out, as he's used them, but I don't have a listing of each instance.

For the compressor he mentioned at the reveal, I think that time allowed them to think it through more. With constraints on weight and range already, it makes very little sense to haul around an internal compressor (which would be as heavy as an external one) all the time when people actually use one a very small percentage of the time. Then there is the matter of requirements for viability at job sites that need serious SCFM which inherently makes a compressor beefier with more weight.

So it would be difficult to decide optimal size and it still would've added extra expense and the added weight. IMO it would need to be separate from the air suspension one which should be sealed to avoid possibility of dirt, particle, or moisture contamination. They might've went with a small one that still could maybe inflate a tire, but there are so many aftermarket ones out there already. It's easy just to plug one in the bed outlet or even have one that's battery powered like the DeWalt or other models for those emergency tire inflating needs.

I can't speculate how steer-by-wire implicated constraints on battery size. I'd have to see visuals of internals first.

- ÆCIII

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I think it can be argued whether or not it was a "promise", but that's not the point. Did he really miss on all that?

Range - 500 miles was only planned on the Tri-motor, not the dual. The dual was "300+" and he met that. Technically, the tri- isn't offered any longer. But if you draw a parallel between that and the Beast, let's look at that; 440miles possible. So only missed by 60, not 160. And you got the added option of 470 miles with the dual. So they missed the equivalent of the tri by 60 (which won't sell as many as the dual), but the far better selling dual beats the previous plan by 40 miles and the near equivalent only misses by 60.

The ramp ain't there. Very valid beef.

Midgate window opening? - Was that advertised at the initial launch? Or did we just assume it? I honestly don't remember.

Price - I never heard was going to honor the VEHICLE price for reservation holders, but I did read Tesla was honoring the FSD price for those who included it in their reservation.

Don't you think it would be ok to acknowledge the value of the things that are better than originally announced? SbW, 4WS, folding rear seat, AC 110 & 220 outlets, powered frunk, autorelease for the tailgate, all new UI, front cam, and a few others.

I think quite a few people heard what they wanted to hear, and too it all as a promise, something that could be legally actionable. And now that it isn't here, people are pissed that what they think they heard isn't there. Is that possible here?

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Did you not see any of the videos by any of the folks who got to spend time with the truck? Tesla was able to create technology (48 volt system among other things) that no other car manufacturer could do in the last 50 years and you think that in two years you’re gonna get what you think you deserve at a price that meets your expectations? Engineers who actually understand car manufacturing were blown away by what they were able to do but you can’t get out of your feels long enough to see that no other car company is even remotely close to Tesla. Which company is gonna mass produce a truck at this level for $39,000 and be profitable?