Popular Mechanics: Does Anyone Even Want an Electric Car?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We are the minority of car buyers.

-Crissa
If you’d done this survey 5 years ago, it would have been 2% of people. 5 years ago it would have been 1% 15 years ago when Tesla started up, it was 0% because Tesla did not exist.

As the prices drop and availability of EVs increases, the number of people willing to cross the line increases.

Prices will continue to drop. Buyers will continue to change over.

Static numbers are pointless.
Sponsored

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
The way I "sold' the CT to my Mom is: "You will never have to visit gas stations again. You will never have to schedule an oil change where they try to rip you off selling you new filters and upcharge crap again. You will leave the house everytime with a full charge in your vehicle if you plug it in at night. You are safer due to these options, along with the safest car manufacturer in the world."

My Mom in also somewhat disabled and needs assistance at gas stations to pump, so she can only go to certain ones that have the capacity to do that, mostly Costco.

Safety and ease of upkeep can really be a selling point for people that are unaware (because of habit) of the things they have to do with ICE and don't realize what they won't have to do with BEV.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
A friend of mine, whos in his 50's, drove my Leaf for the 1st time recently. I told him to floor it at at least once.
after he came back he was excited to talk about it.

i said "thats the cheapest most bottom end EV you can get, imagine a Tesla"

last time i talked to him about tesla (stock related) he said he might get 1 when he wants a new car.

I think a lot of people's fear, no not fear, uh hesitance for ev's is simple not knowing enough about them.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Since we’re talking about intentions and fabricated statistics, here’s another one.

Elon Musk added 20 million Twitter followers in the past 9 months. A 40% increase.

I guess they are all excited about SpaceX and really bad 69 and 420 jokes?

Is Musk the next avatar? Buddha, Mohamed, Jesus, Joseph Smith… now Musk?

Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
For the information revolution in our midst, Americans are still too lazy or too dumb to look and see the calculations of the comparative cost of ownership.

And the fact that EV ownership is also politicized.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
The reality is that price is a barrier for most people. While new EVs are comparable to some segments of ICE vehicles, there are currently no cheap three row vehicles or cheap mid/large family cars out there. There are good values on used small/compact hatchbacks (Bolt and Leaf) with decent range and Model Ss can be found at a good price in the large luxury sedan segment, but I think that it is about it. There maybe some other small, short range cars out there for a good price, but they aren't a good option for families that only have one car although probably a good option for families with two cars. For a whole lot of people, a new car isn't an option so until the used EV market starts dropping in price most people are not yet in a position to buy an EV.

Ultimately, even at the current prices the demand for EVs is well ahead of the supply of EVs as demonstrated by wait times for most models.
Sponsored