Portable solar generators

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
actually, yes. People have been reporting 10kWh loss per day with sentry on. "working as intended" qualifier isn't relevant because software updates to reduce sentry drain to the 3kWh per day that happens on 3/y/s/x can happen any time between now and the end of time. Nobody knows when it will be. Whatever they "intend", that's how it is now.

Pretty much.
CT pulling 10-15kwh a day with Sentry on, and5-8 a day without Sentry. Thinking 2 panels is going to cover that is pretty............optimistic.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
And my Ecoflow will happily charge from panels while running its output - so you don't have to plug and unplug if it's just sitting there at camp.
I don't think that that you have actually tried this. Especially as the sun starts to shine, the solar cells just put out a few watts. It takes time for the battery to come up to voltage enough to turn the inverter on. The inverter is hit with a full demand load of 1.44 kW and probably only stay on for seconds before it runs out of charge again.
Then the sun gets full, the inverter is not turning on and off as quick, but definitely turning on and off every few minutes. After all, that's 600W in and 1440W out.

Well, since the truck is turning on an off so often, it's using up a lot of power just to turn on and off, so a lot of what you are putting in isn't making it to the battery.

So, sure, move the charging slider down to 3A (360W), so that it doesn't cycle in full sunlight. Well at that point, you are only keeping the Cybertruck awake. It uses that much power to stay awake. Nothing makes it to the battery.

120V charging isn't that efficient to begin with. I don't remember the numbers, but I believe less than 80%.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think that that you have actually tried this. Especially as...
Uhh, yeah, I have.

You can turn the AC on and off via the Bluetooth interface. It can also interface with other smart relays.

The inputs are displayed on one side and the output is displayed on the other.

The Ecoflow has one limitation: While it can charge from DC sources and output AC at the full amount... It won't let you limit AC input while it's doing AC output. Tho its AC output is higher than its input, it's all or nothing on that input.

The Tesla, however, will allow you to limit input on the Mobile Connector. So you can balance the load there, setting it to lower than the Solar charging.

-Crissa

tripzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Solar generators in their current form and underperforming, delicate crap. Ive taken apart all those listed and several you havent.
Good tech that does what these are expected to do reliability and for enough years to make the price quasi reasonable are 3-4 years out
I agree. Current "portable" units have a payoff of 10-15 years (powerwall 3 minus install costs is 8 years)(assuming load shedding/peak shaving TOU use-case). They need to come down to around 5-10 years to make economic sense.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
CT loses 12kwh a day, not a week.
If you want to bust out 20 panels and spread them across a field sure.

Sorry this is just hog wash. I am not losing anything close to that. Again let's see actual owners, not the old telephone game I played when I was in 1st grade. I heard from a friend that Cybertrucks lose X.
Tesla Cybertruck Portable solar generators telephon

The idea behind using eco flow's and other associated products is so one doesn't have to use the truck. The vampire drain will subside. I hope the people that spread the misinformation do as well.
As said in so many other threads. Yet it continues. They just seem to hop from thread to thread like a bunny saying how people are going to need 20 panels and stuff as they sit in their basement and never do anything outdoors.

I have an off grid campground on 22 acres in the mountains. I have a big battery bank which would be like 30 or so of the ECO flow's that is powered by 12k in solar.

I use ECO flows and others so I don't have to run electrical lines to everywhere. Run my office for a couple hours a day, and recharge once a week.

Can we please get off the Cybertruck sucks off grid because it loses all this every day routine it is getting old. Time will pass, and one would look back and laugh.

Eco Flow Delta's a big rig, but can run a tiny home for a weekend. We have earlier versions that we put in our 6m Bell Tents. Allows everyone to charge everything. I would suggest adding up all the stuff you plan on bringing. Then take none of it. Just kidding.

Add it all up and then upsize a bit. Look at weight. If you can't lift it, it becomes a brick. Also remember if it is in the cabin it is very heavy. In a rollover it could be very dangerous. Bring it charged, and I think many would be surprised that they wouldn't need the outlets on the truck.

Edit add: Payback time on a portable unit. Maybe. Not really. It is about convenience.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Pretty much.
CT pulling 10-15kwh a day with Sentry on, and5-8 a day without Sentry. Thinking 2 panels is going to cover that is pretty............optimistic.
Sentry on? Definitely need more cells.
You are camping, turn sentry off. Far too many other things to worry about at the campsite.
And you don't want it to go off getting back into the truck during the 3AM pee break.

tripzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I would love to see how many panels one could mount to the CT over the bed. Not to charge the CT, but to charge any more portable batteries (I guess in a pinch it could charge the CT, but not fast). I'm guessing 200-300W could easily fit over the bed.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
I agree. Current "portable" units have a payoff of 10-15 years (powerwall 3 minus install costs is 8 years)(assuming load shedding/peak shaving TOU use-case). They need to come down to around 5-10 years to make economic sense.
Im not really seeing an roi on something thats mean to work as a replacement for a generator in the field. Im speaking more to the fragility and the barely better than DIY build quality exhibited in them.
The best one on the market right now is made by Anker but its still not worth buying.
any generator on the market designed for portability can roll off a tailgate, get rained on, survive a hard stop etc no problemo. Needs a little maintenance but thats irrelevant for the use case

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Im not really seeing an roi on something thats mean to work as a replacement for a generator in the field. Im speaking more to the fragility and the barely better than DIY build quality exhibited in them.
There's no ROI on a generator, either.

And I don't think anyone should be taking your advice about the build quality of an Ecoflow until you post videos taking them apart.

-Crissa

Texarado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
’24 CT AWD FS; ’18 Model 3 AWD
Country flag
Just firsthand experience here with the CT drain… sentry knocks a few (3-5%) off per *day*. Not sure whether it’s the recent software update or what, but I can tell you that the drain when sentry is off has all but disappeared for me. Now, when I’m regularly checking my Tesla app (to turn on the sentry cameras to look around) or running my Stats app, both of which ping the truck, the drain kicks in.

But, when I’m at home in the garage after it has charged, it is now holding the battery state at the level that I asked it to charge to. Early on, it would hit 80% and then fall to 78% by the time morning came.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Why don't you all just wait for my high-density retractable solar panels in place of your RV awning.

Added ro my solar panel squares pasted on the body of your CT and RV.

Can't wait for that flux-capacitor.

Sorry been binging on Netflix sci-fi movies lately. :D

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
I guess some people have to try before anyone figures it all out in life. I don't want to be the one that realizes they never did anything except wait for perfect.

For what it is worth my ECO flow's and friends:confused: have been dropped, and dragged a bit. Used as a foot rest in trucks, but again it is about convenience. If one is going to measure each Kwh in and out. Bravo. Again. More likely a couch sitter.

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
Sentry on? Definitely need more cells.
You are camping, turn sentry off. Far too many other things to worry about at the campsite.
And you don't want it to go off getting back into the truck during the 3AM pee break.
Yea thats the problem, if you are out camping and have a few thousand dollars of solar panels laying around you need sentry mode.
So truck with no solar = no sentry = -8kwh a day
Truck with solar = sentry = -8kwh a day

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Yea thats the problem, if you are out camping and have a few thousand dollars of solar panels laying around you need sentry mode.
So truck with no solar = no sentry = -8kwh a day
Truck with solar = sentry = -8kwh a day

Ah there is your math. You must camp in areas I don't. Never had a thing ever stolen from my camp. Math still flawed. Thanks for the explanation.

Edit: Yes once I had something stolen off my picnic table at a KOA.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
There's no ROI on a generator, either.

And I don't think anyone should be taking your advice about the build quality of an Ecoflow until you post videos taking them apart.

-Crissa

most people don't realize who I am or what I do so that's fine for you to assume
I don't care who spends their money on what. ROI in the sense im talking about is the cost vs life expectancy of in field use. Go take your eco flow and drop it off a tailgate and let it get rained overnight. If it still works I'll send you a giftcard for dinner at a restaurant of your choosing.
Sponsored