John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 VW Bug, 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 21 Cybertruck Tri-Motor FSD
Occupation
Telecommunications Tower Technician
Country flag
Previously there was a thread on side steps, tonneau covers, attachments etc. However, this thread is separate to explain what I came up with.

I have an idea for a foldable/retractable side step that utilizes the Falcon 9 grid fin design. At first I was hoping it could be pneumatically actuated. However, the vane type rotary actuators with 180 degree rotation I found weren't strong enough to hold a person. Unless I missed something, that plan will not work.

I have a couple Tinkercad drawings for you to check out.
Tesla Cybertruck Possible Side Step Idea. received_513210279401878
Tesla Cybertruck Possible Side Step Idea. received_564830124074529
Tesla Cybertruck Possible Side Step Idea. received_2526370550924776

If you have any ideas, thoughts, input, or just think its cool, let me know.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am working on a design also, and lowering the entire truck to get passengers in and out is way overkill and probably wastes resources. I do not see why the actuators have to carry weight. Just use them to open and close the step and use mechanical strength to carry the weight.

OP
OP
68Voltswagen

68Voltswagen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
K Doc Brown 007, Makes sense, however, how low can it get? The main reason I'm designing the step is so that my Mom and possibly others can benefit from it if the truck won't go low enough. She has issues even getting into my stock height Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Jhodgesatmb, Thanks for the help with that, more than likely using the actuators I first wanted to go with will work. Just need to figure out a locking mechanism to keep them from dropping under force.

Zhe Wiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MYP, 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
FileMaker Developer
Country flag
I have a 2014 JGC with air suspension. My wife has trouble getting in at normal ride height, but when it drops to exit/entry she has no issues. Those 2” or so make a big difference. I’m hoping for The same with the Cybertruck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
K Doc Brown 007, Makes sense, however, how low can it get? The main reason I'm designing the step is so that my Mom and possibly others can benefit from it if the truck won't go low enough. She has issues even getting into my stock height Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Jhodgesatmb, Thanks for the help with that, more than likely using the actuators I first wanted to go with will work. Just need to figure out a locking mechanism to keep them from dropping under force.
Try a scissor jack concept. Linkages carry the load and the actuator just moves them into place.

OP
OP
68Voltswagen

68Voltswagen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Zhe Wiz, I looked around and found this.

"Not only does the Cybertruck have adaptive damping and ride height, but the air suspension is manually adjustable. This system offers up to 16 inches of ground clearance and 4 inches of ride height adjustment. " here's the link https://gearjunkie.com/tesla-cybertruck

From what I could find on a 98 JGC the ride height is between 17"-19" stock. I will verify which one it is. As far as your Jeep "The normal setting gives the vehicle 8.7 inches of ground clearance. Off-Road 1 lifts the vehicle 1.3 inches for a total of 10 inches of clearance, and Off-Road 2 raises it another 1.3 inches for 11.3 inches of clearance. Aero mode lowers the vehicle 0.6 inches below normal ride height. " https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/grand-cherokee/2014/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-first-look/

So the Cybertruck may ride lower than my Jeep and higher than yours. It's hard to tell at this point where each measurement was taken on each vehicle.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
I think that the air suspension are enough. I have the JGC with air suspension too and it works pretty well. The Cybertruck will be much more adjustable.

PACEMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck, P3D- Tesla Model 3 Stealth Performance, 4Runner TRD/ORP, F350 diesel dually
Country flag
From Motortrend............."We also like that designers included a functional wraparound rock rail, protecting the passenger doors and the exposed rear quarter panels. These rails also act as an access step for passengers, as well as those needing to get into the bed or wipe down the roof. Underneath, there's a completely flat belly (where the battery packs are kept) and a long-A-arm independent suspension at each corner; it would be quite easy to envision a dedicated setting to allow for a rock-crawl mode below a certain speed."

My initial concern with the Cybertruck, considering off-road use, was the structural integrity underneath. Meaning the need for what is, in the off-road community, called rock sliders, or rock rails. Sounds like that is covered. I was surprised to hear the opinion that the wraparound rock rails were also considered steps, at least by Motortrend. Hard to tell from the pictures and videos just how functional that may be. Truth is many rock sliders are very narrow but still function well as steps. The Cybertruck rails appear exceptionally narrow but we will see. Pictures/videos can be deceptive. The one thing I am confident of is that the mod aftermarket for the Cybertruck will be extensive. Everything you can imagine and more, including steps. To the original poster, any such steps would be more functional if wider, ideally full length but at minimum 4 boot widths or so. Other vehicle manufacturers make retractable steps, including the 4Runner Limited, not really an off-road vehicle.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If the truck squats to 8“, my 5’2” wife would not need a step. The squat approach seems to be the plan in place of a step.
I wonder how responsive the bags will be when truck is ‘running’ and lowering to allow someone to access.
Although, I will purposely raise the truck when my wife needs to climb in.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
If the truck squats to 8“, my 5’2” wife would not need a step. The squat approach seems to be the plan in place of a step.
I wonder how responsive the bags will be when truck is ‘running’ and lowering to allow someone to access.
Although, I will purposely raise the truck when my wife needs to climb in.
Model X and S are very responsive. You can also set gps location for certain suspension heights

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Good to know.
Can I program the truck to raise to full height when I honk the horn or push slow drivers in the carpool lane?

OP
OP
68Voltswagen

68Voltswagen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Definitely a lot of great information here. At this point I will continue developing the step design I posted. It will be as a contingency plan if the truck doesn't lower enough. Thanks for the help.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I hate steps on vehicles.. unless they are rock rails. :cool:
Sponsored