PowerShare Install Payment & Question

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Yesterday, my Universal Wall Charger was installed along with the PowerShare Backup Gateway 3V. However, they said Pacific Gas & Electric will need to come out to installed the backup switch behind the meter and the company who did the install will need to complete the PowerShare implementation. In addition, the City needs to do a final inspection.

The Universal Wall Charger was installed and functioning costs $1,050. The PowerShare Backup Gateway is $1,671. The electrical permit & inspection is $850.

I have no problem paying for the Universal Wall Charger install of $1,050, but something is telling me I should not pay for the other items until the process is complete…meaning my utility coming out to install the backup switch that is hanging there, the installer needs to finish the connections and the city has to inspect everything.

I feel like if I pay for everything I won’t have anything to motivate the installer to get everything done. Being that I am not in the middle of the scheduling for PG&E or the City. My worry is that when I follow up I get the run around as to when things will be scheduled.

What has been your experience?

Tesla Cybertruck PowerShare Install Payment & Question IMG_5282
Sponsored

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Yesterday, my Universal Wall Charger was installed along with the PowerShare Backup Gateway 3V. However, they said Pacific Gas & Electric will need to come out to installed the backup switch behind the meter and the company who did the install will need to complete the PowerShare implementation. In addition, the City needs to do a final inspection.

The Universal Wall Charger was installed and functioning costs $1,050. The PowerShare Backup Gateway is $1,671. The electrical permit & inspection is $850.

I have no problem paying for the Universal Wall Charger install of $1,050, but something is telling me I should not pay for the other items until the process is complete…meaning my utility coming out to install the backup switch that is hanging there, the installer needs to finish the connections and the city has to inspect everything.

I feel like if I pay for everything I won’t have anything to motivate the installer to get everything done. Being that I am not in the middle of the scheduling for PG&E or the City. My worry is that when I follow up I get the run around as to when things will be scheduled.

IMG_5282.jpeg

What is PGE or State of California willing to give to for the install listed. (Rebate or Incentives)

OP
OP
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
For me personally, nothing. I don’t meet the income qualifications.

rrolsbe

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model 3 RWD
Country flag

IMG_5282.jpeg
Did Tesla ship the Universal Wall Connector to you or did they require that it be shipped to the installing electrician? When I ordered my Wall Connector from the Tesla store about four years back, they shipped it directly to me. Looks like you can order the UWC from Best Buy and have it shipped to your home address.

OP
OP
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Did Tesla ship the Universal Wall Connector to you or did they require that it be shipped to the installing electrician? When I ordered my Wall Connector from the Tesla store about four years back, they shipped it directly to me. Looks like you can order the UWC from Best Buy and have it shipped to your home address.
All of the equipment is shipped to the Tesla certified installer. There is no option to get it direct unless you buy the equipment, which would be foolish, because it is included with the Foundation Series. So the installer controls who gets installed, the schedule, the permitting and the coordination with the electric company.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
All of the equipment is shipped to the Tesla certified installer. There is no option to get it direct unless you buy the equipment, which would be foolish, because it is included with the Foundation Series. So the installer controls who gets installed, the schedule, the permitting and the coordination with the electric company.
absolutely correct and great to hear you're almost done. I definitely would have requested everything be hard piped though. In my case I have power walls so the V3 gateway won't be used. I received an email from Tesla about this and was given a $700 credit to buy a wall charger and I did but didn't get the credit for V3 Gateway. Waiting on Tesla to respond. Also waiting for a good contractor to install but only Charge America has the knowledge to install in my kind of system and are 100 percent booked solid and don't respond. Hope for you it's a quick process.

ArizonaTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW/Mercedes
Country flag
Hi Carlos, what is your panel size? Is there a panel size requirement for powershare installation?

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
absolutely correct and great to hear you're almost done. I definitely would have requested everything be hard piped though. In my case I have power walls so the V3 gateway won't be used. I received an email from Tesla about this and was given a $700 credit to buy a wall charger and I did but didn't get the credit for V3 Gateway. Waiting on Tesla to respond. Also waiting for a good contractor to install but only Charge America has the knowledge to install in my kind of system and are 100 percent booked solid and don't respond. Hope for you it's a quick process.
So how exactly does that work? I asked them specifically about this because someone was upset that the gateway wouldn't even be needed in certain situations. They told me if I later added a powerwall I'd be saving money because then I wouldn't need a gateway as I'd already have one. So if you get a version three of the powerwall you don't need the gateway. So if you later get a power wall the gateway is useless?

CyberRich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 FS CT AWD, 2019 M3, 2018 M3, 2015 MS 70D
Country flag
Pay half now, the other half when the job’s complete. Generally excepted with tradesmen.

OUTLAW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT, M5
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
Question on new installs.
I received the invite letter for the wall charging and they asked for an address. I provided an initial address and they approved it along with the equipment like the original poster, but I need to change the address to another house. Anyone know how to do this I can’t even find an email and the emails that they sent are no replies.
thx.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
So how exactly does that work? I asked them specifically about this because someone was upset that the gateway wouldn't even be needed in certain situations. They told me if I later added a powerwall I'd be saving money because then I wouldn't need a gateway as I'd already have one. So if you get a version three of the powerwall you don't need the gateway. So if you later get a power wall the gateway is useless?
Gateways are the controllers of the power distribution and comms. Since I already have powerwalls and a gateway V2 that came with my solar system I wouldn't need the V3 gateway. Let's say if you didn't have a system at all and were getting the powershare provided with the CT then you would be getting the wall charger and V3 gateway installed. In future if you wanted a powerwall installed then you would only get the wall installed as you then would have a gateway already.

Guylouis

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F.S. CyberBeast, XP, YP, 3P
Country flag

IMG_5282.jpeg
This is absolutely normal when installing the new back up switch. The utility will come out replace your meter. You are fine to submit final payment as the installer completed their portion of the work. You are at the finish line

OP
OP
Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The install is still not complete. I did not make the final payment yet. The electric company still needs to come out to install the switch behind their meter. The installer needs to finish something off after the electric company and then the city has to do the final inspection.

I won’t pay until the job is done.
Sponsored