Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
This is where competition is a good thing. If Ford hadn't come along with the Lightning and said "yep, we are doing V2H" do you think Elon would feel obligated to match it?
Would the truck be cheaper if they didn't?

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Would the truck be cheaper if they didn't?
If they didn't do V2H/V2V? For the V2H, you still need some external components that will not be included in the truck to feed power back to the house. They already have the plugs in the vault, so I don't see much of a difference there. I'm sure an electrical engineer could give a more specific answer, I'm just a computer guy :)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Glad to see Tesla is no longer stonewalling on V2L / V2H.

11.5kW out the NACS port / 9.6kW V2L is pretty good.

I wonder how long it will be until third parties reverse engineer this, or if it will be "have to buy the entire Tesla ecosystem" forever...
I don't see that there is anything to reverse engineer here. The outlet provides 40 amps of 240 volt service.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I have 3 power meters on my house, 1 for car charging (reduced rate), 1 for geothermal (reduced rate) and 1 for house main. I don't think I'll be able to power my house or geothermal from a connected Cybertruck unless there are fancy transfer switches or something.
That's why over 99% of Ford Lightning buyers didn't wire their houses for emergency backup power. The extra utility during power outages apparently is not worth the $12-$15,000 cost of equipping your house to use another power source. The people who did pulled out a lot of hair getting it work seamlessly and many say it's still not optimal. This kind of application is heavily regulated to specific specifications and most electricians don't even know how to do it.

A manually operated system is cheaper, all you really need is a generator input to your house. But it still requires significant work that a homeowner is typically not qualified to do.

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
I don't see that there is anything to reverse engineer here. The outlet provides 40 amps of 240 volt service.
The 9.6kW out of the NEMA 14-50 V2L, I agree.

11.5kW V2H has to go through the NACS port as far as I can tell. That's what I was referring to about reverse engineering, so it could work with Enphase, SolarEdge, Sol-Ark, etc ecosystems. It's possible they're using off the shelf CCS/ISO-15118 signaling to set this up, which would be awesome, but this is Tesla so who knows.

Cybrtr808

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, BMW 318is
Country flag
I have been looking at adding additional solar panels to my house with the PowerWall battery storage. The PowerWalls are not cheap. As I have a long range Model 3 and will buy the CT when my RN11274… comes up, I explored what electrical equipment is needed to automatically switch the Tesla for a V2H use. - Enphase is coming out with a devise for this purpose
Tesla Cybertruck Powershare V2V / V2H / V2L / V2X is a feature! IMG_3405

see link for entire brochure on Enphase bidirectional charging equip: https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

Ford also has their similar equipment for sale on their web page for the Lightning.

I don’t drive that much so using one of the Teslas as a battery to supply the house at night once the solar has charged the cars during the day for me is a great option. Just have to make sure the Enphase or Ford equipment is robust enough to handle daily use. Hopefully Tesla will come out with a similar equipment or may already have it. Just not yet detailed.

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
Gots screenshot of them ports's

Tesla Cybertruck Powershare V2V / V2H / V2L / V2X is a feature! Screenshot_20231130_235256_Chrome

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag