First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
So we have pre-ordered.
When do we get a chance to test drive the vehicle before we have to definitely , money down, order the vehicle?
Hope that makes sense.
I know we can't test drive yet, they ain't got it made :).
But where in the Pre-Order/Order steps do we get a chance to have a test drive?
Its a big purchase and I would definitely like a test drive before being 100% sure.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Who knows how the details will shake out by the time the trucks are actually available. Tesla changes the way they handle the ordering process from time to time. A little over a year ago I walked into a store, asked a bunch of questions, was offered an appointment (about a week later) for a test drive after which my order was taken along with a $1000 deposit. A month ago I walked in, didn't need a test drive, ordered the car and put down $125 ordering fee. No additional funds were requested until delivery. You've already put down your ordering fee though you haven't actually placed an order (which needs the details of the options you want one of which isn't color). As the trucks trickle out to the stores I'm sure we'll be given the opportunity to schedule test drives but I'll bet they will be a couple weeks from the time request them as they will have few demos and everyone with a reservation and others will be clamoring. After the test drive, or before if you like, you will be able to formalize your order. Will there be an additional fee requested at that time? Ask Elon.

When I ordered this latest one we, naturally, talked about the CT. The Tesla guy said that one of the problems they forsee with it is that there isn't a door big enough to get it into their show room. Maybe now that it's smaller....

Last edited:

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Also, since they can clearly sell every one they make in the beginning, it is unlikely they will prioritize making any for their own inventory. I expect thousands will be sold before the first test drives are offered.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
if they weren't planning to have demos/display trucks why would they be worrying about how to get them into the showroom?

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
Also, since they can clearly sell every one they make in the beginning, it is unlikely they will prioritize making any for their own inventory. I expect thousands will be sold before the first test drives are offered.
I know it took awhile (maybe over a year or two since it’s initial release) before we saw a Model X in our local showroom. Guessing was about the same for the Model 3. Not sure if a few are available for test drives before floor models pop up, but like Cyber_Dav said, thousands will likely be delivered first.

OP
OP
TirNaOg

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
wow. so the early guys/gals buy un-seen.
Something to think on.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Some will buy sight unseen (I wonder if I am one of those) but many won't so clearly Tesla will make test drives available. ASAP.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Unlikely? I guess. But, nothing is considered “normalcy” with Tesla from outside looking in, but inside? Ohhhhh it’s way “Normal” Same with anything else Elon’s hands and mind is attached too. :0) There is nothing Idle about Elon nor TESLA. Not to mention SpaceX wow.. that’s another topic. ? I think Elon will have places set up around the U.S. ?? That Tesla Semi trucks will go Hauling CT’s to where people can meet up and test drive and enjoy the CYBER VIBE:) I’m in. I’d love to be able to join in on festivities with FUTURE CT owners!! This would be awesome if TESLA did this.
Very Smart too. And smart is right up his alley? so, I would love to be able to help at these events as well:) hmmm.. did I just start another topic? ?

CT4FP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck DM
Country flag
Tesla still has their 7 day / 1000 mile return policy. I think that started early with Model 3 deliveries before stores had test drives. I've heard of Tesla doing touchless test drives nowadays but I think that is mostly for S/X/3, while most Model Y buyers don't even sit in one until they get delivery.

https://www.tesla.com/support/tesla-return-policy

Early Cybertruck owners might arrange test rides for locals or rent their truck on Turo.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, they did have that 1 week policy (and still do?) but that was put in place so they could fire sales people at a critical time for them to the point that they were within one week's cash flow of extinction. They shut a handful of stores completely down only to reopen them within a couple of weeks.

I don't doubt that some of us will be taking delivery of a vehicle we have never ridden in but I am sure Tesla will do as much as they feasibly can to make test drives available. as soon as possible.

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Also, it isn't just the Cybertrucks. There are over 200 Tesla stores worldwide (about 100 in US). To reach any kind of acceptable saturation rate how many test rides must be offered? We're talking 5,000 test rides just for reservation holders PER STORE!

How many NEW employees would it take to service that demand? Employees who produce NOTHING tangible for Tesla.

Stipulating 1/2 hour per test ride and a 10 hour work day, that's 20 test rides per day. Even running 7 days a week, that's nearly a year. And again, that's just for reservation holders, no general public.

I think a LOT of the first year buyers will be buying without a test drive.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Also, it isn't just the Cybertrucks. There are over 200 Tesla stores worldwide (about 100 in US). To reach any kind of acceptable saturation rate how many test rides must be offered? We're talking 5,000 test rides just for reservation holders PER STORE!

How many NEW employees would it take to service that demand? Employees who produce NOTHING tangible for Tesla.

Stipulating 1/2 hour per test ride and a 10 hour work day, that's 20 test rides per day. Even running 7 days a week, that's nearly a year. And again, that's just for reservation holders, no general public.

I think a LOT of the first year buyers will be buying without a test drive.
?very true.
Definitely for the early birds. ? . We jumped in on the 7th day for the CT. Had to really make sure we had all our ducks in a row after already placing order on a 2020 Model 3 LR FSD. Btw, I swear this car is alive. Truly has been a joy. I myself, cannot wait to have the tri -motor with FSD in my driveway.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So we have pre-ordered.
When do we get a chance to test drive the vehicle before we have to definitely , money down, order the vehicle?
Hope that makes sense.
I know we can't test drive yet, they ain't got it made :).
But where in the Pre-Order/Order steps do we get a chance to have a test drive?
Its a big purchase and I would definitely like a test drive before being 100% sure.
$100 reserves you a CyberTruck. $100 Deposit is refundable

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Employees who produce NOTHING tangible for Tesla.
I don't think you understand the process. You are interested in a Tesla. You schedule the test drive. At the end of the test drive you buy the car. The people that do the test drives produce LOTS of sales.
Sponsored