CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
I use the sliding back window in my Dodge to haul 14-16 ft. lumber. I could haul even more with a full retractable window. Also, I am going to sleep in the box, in fetal position if I have to. I am hoping to sleep there at the ski hill on snow days and maybe in the bar parking lot if I drink too much. Need the blackout cover for quiet, dark and security.
Sponsored

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
the main measurements from the tailgate to the bulkhead sill encroachment over bed floor:
  • L-track total (center-to-center of outermost holes) = 61" [assumed]
  • Tailgate-side distance from nearest center of hole to ~tailgate = 5"
  • Bulkehead-side distance from nearest center hole to window sill = 2.5"
  • TOTAL: ~68" (5'8") from tailgate to bulkhead sill encroachment over bed floor
Tesla Cybertruck Pre-Production Proto Bed and Bulkhead Features Analysis screenshot-204-
Tesla Cybertruck Pre-Production Proto Bed and Bulkhead Features Analysis screenshot-205-
Not wanting to be too critical here, but I"m trying to extrapolate the size of triangular area on each side in back where the tail gate closes, and I was wanting use the above images to help do that.

In each of the pictures above, you have a line labeled as "Length: 8 in" - but while the line 'touches' eight 'teeth valleys' of the L-Track, it does not actually traverse eight teeth valleys (because it's starting at one, and then ending at one). The first one doesn't count because you have to traverse left or right one to increment. So if I count (traverse) from left to right, I see the line actually covering the distance of seven teeth or valleys.

This is more apparent if you move the line and start it from the left or right edge of a tooth, and then all the valleys would be in the middle. Doing that, the line would actually cover the span of seven valleys within the length of the line.

So should lines be labled "Length: 7 in", or stretch the line one more tooth to make "8 in" an accurate depiction? Would this have possibly affected any other calculations?

Just wanted to confirm the L-Track teeth are 1 inch spacing.

- ÆCIII

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So should lines be labled "Length: 7 in", or stretch the line one more tooth to make "8 in" an accurate depiction? Would this have possibly affected any other calculations?

Just wanted to confirm the L-Track teeth are 1 inch spacing.

- ÆCIII
No, f*ck, you’re exactly right :ROFLMAO:

Luckily the conversion-fix is fairly simple to sort out: if [8" standard] = 7" then: 0.125 downward constant adjustment, and:

• L-track total (center-to-center of outermost holes) = [61"] = 60" [assumed]
  • Tailgate-side distance from nearest center of hole to ~tailgate = [5"] = 4.375"
  • Bulkehead-side distance from nearest center hole to window sill = [2.5"] = 2.2"
  • TOTAL: [~68" (5'8")] = 66.5" (5.5") from tailgate to bulkhead sill encroachment over bed floor

Meanwhile the hardware width goes from [5.28"] to 4.6"

And your correction actually fixes in my mind an oddity of the measurements vs the visual of, e.g., the hardware width vs adjacent lengths.

In any event, the above corrections (thanks again) still result in roughly the same all-things-considered outcomes of:

Which altogether reflected estimates of:
  • the total bed depth at floor of right at 6' give-or-take an inch
  • bed depth between bulkhead sill and tailgate of ~5'6"
  • total encroachment of the over-window eave of ~10-12" (meaning the bed aperture is roughly/just over 5' give or take an inch or two)
Which for the more visual among us would result in overall bed lengths at different height intervals of around (give or take an inch or two):

Tesla Cybertruck Pre-Production Proto Bed and Bulkhead Features Analysis ct-bed-measures-

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, Cyberbeast 113344xxx
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
No, f*ck, you’re exactly right :ROFLMAO:

Luckily the conversion-fix is fairly simple to sort out: if [8" standard] = 7" then: 0.125 downward constant adjustment, and:

• L-track total (center-to-center of outermost holes) = [61"] = 60" [assumed]
  • Tailgate-side distance from nearest center of hole to ~tailgate = [5"] = 4.375"
  • Bulkehead-side distance from nearest center hole to window sill = [2.5"] = 2.2"
  • TOTAL: [~68" (5'8")] = 66.5" (5.5") from tailgate to bulkhead sill encroachment over bed floor

And your correction actually fixes in my mind an oddity of the measurements vs the visual of, e.g., the hardware width vs adjacent lengths.

In any event, the above corrections (thanks again) still result in roughly the same all-things-considered outcomes of:
Hey, are you able to figure out how much length is added when the tailgate is down (maybe 2' to make an 8' "bed")?
Also, can you tell how tall the 6' bed part is? Like, if I were stacking plywood, how much height do I have before the stack has to start angling back?

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
If I need to haul anything I have a neat contraption that grabs hold of the back of my truck. It is super useful. When I went down to pick it up they called it a trailer. It is plenty chicken long and wide to carry all sorts of cool man stuff like plywood or a couch for my friends to sit on when I drive them home after a few.

Tesla Cybertruck Pre-Production Proto Bed and Bulkhead Features Analysis IMG20230526122818

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Hey, are you able to figure out how much length is added when the tailgate is down (maybe 2' to make an 8' "bed")?
Also, can you tell how tall the 6' bed part is? Like, if I were stacking plywood, how much height do I have before the stack has to start angling back?
"dont encourage him!" they yell from the audience

good questions

As for length of tailgate and so total length of bed with tailgate down:

• just by eyeball it's going to be around 2' or just shy, so plenty for a sheet of plywood
  • measurement tool (subject to normal error margin caveats) confirms the eyeball; note that while the photo above measures only the bed-floor-to-tailgate-tip height, that when the tailgate is let down the hinge gap created will expand the total length, owing to the created gap between bed and tailgate, by a bit - maybe another 2-3"?

Tesla Cybertruck Pre-Production Proto Bed and Bulkhead Features Analysis Screenshot (208)

Here's the created gap when tailgate is down:

Tesla Cybertruck Pre-Production Proto Bed and Bulkhead Features Analysis CT Crap Bed Ga

As for how tall the 6' portion is and the number of plywood sheets:

Here it makes to most sense to eyeball the ~known height of the tiedown hardware compared to this 6' portion of the bulkhead:

Tesla Cybertruck Pre-Production Proto Bed and Bulkhead Features Analysis Screenshot (209)

with that relative size in mind, you can look at any number of photos of the same hardware that's up adjacent to the lower portion of the bulkhead that's at 6' length, and that portion of the bulkhead appears to just a bit taller than the hardware - I'm guessing right around 4" tall +/- 1/2"?

At +/-4" tall, that'd be 8 pieces of 1/2" plywood or 5 pieces of 3/4" plywood, before the stack has to start angling back

but since you've already got the tailgate down and need strapping in anyways, that angled portion of the stack seems it could keep going upwards quite a ways before it ever thought about making a load issue?

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If I need to haul anything I have a neat contraption that grabs hold of the back of my truck. It is super useful. When I went down to pick it up they called it a trailer. It is plenty chicken long and wide to carry all sorts of cool man stuff like plywood or a couch for my friends to sit on when I drive them home after a few.
Dayumn, your truck has it's own truck!

Chris9702L

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda ridgeline
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I don’t think this will be true often, once people come to terms with the dimensions of the bed.

Tesla already knows this
I for one plan to car camp slot back there. Go to fish the night before, wake up early and go fish. Or stay late at night and just come in at 1-3am and camp.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
. . .

I think of it as a 0.875 scale factor, verses 'downward constant', but whatever makes the thought process easy. I'm careful with the word 'constant', in certain situations where object sizes may vary. I assume you may be rounding in a couple of the numbers. For the 2.2" I get 2.1875", and for the 4.6" I get 4.62". All others I get the same.

- ÆCIII

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, Cyberbeast 113344xxx
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I suppose a flip-up load stop built into the tailgate will not be happening. I wonder if Tesla will have those "Bed Extenders" that are basically little gates that connect over the tailgate to give you a full 8' bed where it's easy to secure a load. I know, I know... But, I want everything! Actually, if I'm completely honest with myself, I don't anything more than just the bed for almost all my carrying. If it gets too much, I have a cargo and flat trailer...

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
I suppose a flip-up load stop built into the tailgate will not be happening. I wonder if Tesla will have those "Bed Extenders" that are basically little gates that connect over the tailgate to give you a full 8' bed where it's easy to secure a load. I know, I know... But, I want everything! Actually, if I'm completely honest with myself, I don't anything more than just the bed for almost all my carrying. If it gets too much, I have a cargo and flat trailer...
interesting concept with the built in left and right rails.. even if tesla does NOT offer us one it won't take long for a 3'rd party solution to come along!

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
. . .

I think of it as a 0.875 scale factor, verses 'downward constant', but whatever makes the thought process easy. I'm careful with the word 'constant', in certain situations where object sizes may vary. I assume you may be rounding in a couple of the numbers. For the 2.2" I get 2.1875", and for the 4.6" I get 4.62". All others I get the same.

- ÆCIII
yes rounding at .02-ish tolerance, for no good reason other than gut

given the pixel measurement tool accuracy reduces down to the point selection choices of my banana-hands, the rounding is as probably prone to make resulting measure more accurate as it is less :ROFLMAO:

meleagris4

First Name
brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
subaru forester
Occupation
professor
Country flag
I just thought of this and had to laugh, but then I realized someone will absolutely try this. How about hauling long items with the tailgate down and the ramp extended straight out the back. Going to be a 12' platform!

(I will not be trying this 😀)

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Imagine if they omitted that black cross bar from the top of the bed. The overhang.

What if that's gone in production. Or shrank.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Imagine if they omitted that black cross bar from the top of the bed. The overhang.

What if that's gone in production. Or shrank.
I always assumed it would be a removable trim piece?
Sponsored