Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Most of us (U.S. reservation holders) paid $100 but who cares, really? I would have been happy to put down the $2,500 I had to put down to order my initial Model Y - it would reduce the number of people in line. $100 refundable was a mistake as Tesla really doesn't know how much interest there is.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Most of us (U.S. reservation holders) paid $100 but who cares, really? I would have been happy to put down the $2,500 I had to put down to order my initial Model Y - it would reduce the number of people in line. $100 refundable was a mistake as Tesla really doesn't know how much interest there is.
I respectfully disagree. $100 was the right amount. It probably kept a young casual observer who could not afford a CT engaged for 4-6 years after which they can afford it. CT has been a risky business from get go. Assuming a million reservations, holding $2.5 billions for several years and then changing design, specs, price or even cancelling the project could be a PR nightmare. On the other hand it is hard to complain much if production CT disappoints a reservation holder with $100 deposit.

Nidavellir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-Order CyberTruck
Country flag
Fully refundable Pre order price means nothing. We need to get available trims and the final purchase price. That’s what will make reservation holders decide between cancellation or continue to actual purchase

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hasn’t Tesla in the past increased the required pre build payment once they started building the cars and had an estimateEd delivery date?

uscbucsfan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2022 Tesla Model S LR
Country flag
Hasn’t Tesla in the past increased the required pre build payment once they started building the cars and had an estimateEd delivery date?
When you configure you'll be required to pay a $250 non-refundable order fee, I'm sure the $100 pre-order will go to that.

punkt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
Tesla got $100M in free loans at a time when they needed cash. They'll figure out true demand soon enough. Judging from the last specs I've seen, stainless steel ruggedness and FSD hardware 4.. I think they'll do ok.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla got $100M in free loans at a time when they needed cash. They'll figure out true demand soon enough. Judging from the last specs I've seen, stainless steel ruggedness and FSD hardware 4.. I think they'll do ok.
I do not know whether they can touch that money since it is refundable. It might just be sitting in some escrow account. It is not my area of expertise. But I am not sure where the "free loan" fits into the discussion, which was about the reservation amount and not what it is used for or whether it is justified. My only point, which has been addressed by you and others, is that it seems to me that $100 is so little that people were happy to throw down for many reservations that may not follow through. If I were Tesla I would not acknowledge or publish how many 'reservations' have been made based on that number, and I would not be surprised to find that they are using much smaller numbers for materials ordering and production planning. Elon has alluded to not knowing what order numbers will look like - only that they will make as many as there are orders for.

punkt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
I do not know whether they can touch that money since it is refundable. It might just be sitting in some escrow account. It is not my area of expertise. But I am not sure where the "free loan" fits into the discussion, which was about the reservation amount and not what it is used for or whether it is justified. My only point, which has been addressed by you and others, is that it seems to me that $100 is so little that people were happy to throw down for many reservations that may not follow through. If I were Tesla I would not acknowledge or publish how many 'reservations' have been made based on that number, and I would not be surprised to find that they are using much smaller numbers for materials ordering and production planning. Elon has alluded to not knowing what order numbers will look like - only that they will make as many as there are orders for.
I'm sorry you don't get it. No point in explaining it further to you. I think Cybertruck will be very popular.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's because, as you said, they're not sure how many will convert from reservations to orders. So at a certain point it gets harder to gauge the demand from those numbers.

And yes, it should be in an escrow account, although it's fungible so it can sit with the other debts on a sheet.

-Crissa

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I thought it was $100?

IMG_5152.png
As mentioned above, prices are different in other countries. Next to the globe in your screenshot are the letters CA. Are you on the Canadian site?

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Most of us (U.S. reservation holders) paid $100 but who cares, really? I would have been happy to put down the $2,500
$TSLA stock price the week of CyberTruck reveal was around $22 (splits adjusted) Had you placed a $2500 deposit instead of buying stock, you'd be out about $25,000 today.
Sponsored