John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Cybertruck Previous: 2020 MY 2018 M3
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Country flag
When showing off the ability for my CT to raise and lower in my garage (tight fit where I back in to a few inches of the wall) a piece of scrap wood behind the truck at just the right height tipped under the back bumper. While the suspension was lowering to entry height we heard a loud pop and the truck dropped as did my stomach. Apparently it was held up by the piece of wood bearing the weight of the truck until the piece of wood released.

To my heartbreaking dismay, my 3 week old truck suffered the damage shown in the picture below.

PLEASE note when stopped or parking that make sure to have plenty of clearance under the truck and bumpers to allow for the truck possibly lowering automatically. I can envision it getting hung on many curbs, etc.

I've put in a ticket for service and will update when I know more. The initial estimated repair is around $650 which is less than I feared but also fear that when they replace the plastic parts more may be found underneath.

(Please don't trash me too much for my stupidity. My wife and I have already given me all of the punishment I can bear)

Tesla Cybertruck PSA: Be Careful With Air Suspension Automatic Lowering! Have clearance under truck & bumpers - to prevent damage like this 1712182907964-g0
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Wow bad luck, board fell off and jammed itself under and then the truck crushed itself? Thats a tough break and a freak accident.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Are you living in a hobbit house?

You set to whatver height you prefer instead of automatic.

That's what I do when parking in public parking with concrete divider.

Except wife complains it's too high to climb when we alight and return.

cybertruckwaldo

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
I noticed this when demoing the air suspension in the garage as well. There are no sensors. I didn’t notice my opened door was over an empty Amazon box (luckily) and it just smushed the box. My heart dropped for a second 😂.

Air Suspension and the Tailgate needs sensors. I’m really disappointed this was not implemented. Major oversight or omission due to cost from Tesla. It’s really a shame.

CyberTally

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3P, 2023 MYLR, CT DM AWD delivered 3/6/24
Occupation
Tree Farmer, Retired Computer Scientist, AP CS Instructor, Embedded Control Designer, Electrical Contractor
Country flag
When showing off the ability for my CT to raise and lower in my garage (tight fit where I back in to a few inches of the wall) a piece of scrap wood behind the truck at just the right height tipped under the back bumper. While the suspension was lowering to entry height we heard a loud pop and the truck dropped as did my stomach. Apparently it was held up by the piece of wood bearing the weight of the truck until the piece of wood released.

To my heartbreaking dismay, my 3 week old truck suffered the damage shown in the picture below.

PLEASE note when stopped or parking that make sure to have plenty of clearance under the truck and bumpers to allow for the truck possibly lowering automatically. I can envision it getting hung on many curbs, etc.

I've put in a ticket for service and will update when I know more. The initial estimated repair is around $650 which is less than I feared but also fear that when they replace the plastic parts more may be found underneath.

(Please don't trash me too much for my stupidity. My wife and I have already given me all of the punishment I can bear)

1712182907964-g0.png
So sorry to hear that, John. I went to the farm earlier this week and before entering the gate I set the ride height to high because the roads are kinda rough. I stopped and got out to chat with a friend for a bit before continuing, not realizing that the ride height went back to low. (So much for my keen powers of observation!) On the way out there was a bad place in the road where the front scraped bottom. The result being this plastic part in front of the tire came loose.

It's a truck. Things are gonna happen. As long as no one is hurt, all is well. Don't beat yourself up too badly.

Best regards!
The other Carl

Tesla Cybertruck PSA: Be Careful With Air Suspension Automatic Lowering! Have clearance under truck & bumpers - to prevent damage like this IMG_0731

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag

1712182907964-g0.png
It'll buff out.

Sorry my friend

CyberTally

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M3P, 2023 MYLR, CT DM AWD delivered 3/6/24
Occupation
Tree Farmer, Retired Computer Scientist, AP CS Instructor, Embedded Control Designer, Electrical Contractor
Country flag
Really surprised by the low cost fix, this is a tesla that's 100k truck. (to let that sink in)

Appreciate the cautionary tale!
In truth it's an 80k truck that we gladly paid almost 108v for.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
It's not even advisable to be set to low unless in ingress and egress.

I noticed when driving with low, I can hear an ugly thud underneath even with minor unevenness or crack on the road.
Sponsored