Purchase Sight Unseen...?

Deleted member 859

Hey guys,
Several year back I was planning to purchase a truck I saw setting on the dealer's lot. Looked great, nice exterior color contrast, nice trim package, it was beautiful! However, when I sat inside, all the gloss and grandeur faded away because there was a hood scoop, an operating air intake that looked great on the truck but it also obstructed my line of vision and made the truck hard for me to drive and judge where the finder were. It was just an overall bad fit and I did not purchase the vehicle.

Does anyone plan to purchase the Cybetruck sight unseen without walking around it, setting in it, driving it, etc...?

Setting in the forementioned truck made all the difference, I didn't even need to drive it after that. I knew it wasn't for me, but it was beautiful!!!
Good point. I've never purchased a car or truck without a test drive first for exactly this reason. I don't hear the word Ergonomics mentioned very much anymore regarding automobiles and that is a shame.

I will point out that the steeply raked windshield on the Cybertruck at the reveal required the forward position of the base of the "A" pillar. This places the "A" pillar in our forward field of view. Watch the videos of the test rides at the reveal. This may significantly block our vision while attempting to make left hand turns onto another street and even right hand turns. Turning while towing a trailer and pedestrians are my biggest concerns. Many years ago, GM sold a line of minivans that were futuristic looking with steeply raked windshields. I test drove an Oldsmobile Silhouette and could not stand the front blind spots, when turning. In the Jay Leno video, Elon Musk mentions how difficult it is to make the large Cybertruck windshield, so maybe that will get dialed back some.

The large "C" pillars on the Cybertruck may also block your view of the rear blind spots when changing lanes. My Chevy Avalanche has large triangular port holes to look through but I would suspect Tesla will use blind spot cameras to remedy this.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Yeah, I'm not going to need a test drive. Sight unseen for me, it's a done deal. Wrap it up, I'll take it! I should say though, that I've already seen it in person at the Peterson Auto Museum when it was on public display for a couple of weeks. It was well worth driving two hours each way to see it. There is nothing that could talk me out of it.
Awesome! I guess it's true then, I've read quotes stating, " pictures and videos don't do it justice, there's nothing like seeing it in person." loosely translated...

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
Hey guys,
Several year back I was planning to purchase a truck I saw setting on the dealer's lot. Looked great, nice exterior color contrast, nice trim package, it was beautiful! However, when I sat inside, all the gloss and grandeur faded away because there was a hood scoop, an operating air intake that looked great on the truck but it also obstructed my line of vision and made the truck hard for me to drive and judge where the finder were. It was just an overall bad fit and I did not purchase the vehicle.

Does anyone plan to purchase the Cybetruck sight unseen without walking around it, setting in it, driving it, etc...?

Setting in the forementioned truck made all the difference, I didn't even need to drive it after that. I knew it wasn't for me, but it was beautiful!!!
You make a great point. Iā€™m a little ways away from getting mine, but a good friend of mine has a better place in line. Iā€™ll definitely drive his a couple of times before I take delivery.
BTW:
SETTING is the time and geographic location within a narrative, either nonfiction or fiction.

SITTING is a basic human action and resting position in which the body weight is supported primarily by the buttocks in contact with the ground or a horizontal object such as a chair seat.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Iā€™m far enough out that Iā€™ll find a way to experience a CT before my delivery date.

I once drove an Acura sedan that felt really odd. It was as if the steering wheel was somehow in front of the front wheels. When it turned it felt like you were out in front of the turn even though the body of the car was actually turning as expected. I have no idea what really caused that sensation but it turned me off of Acuraā€™s from that point on.

So theoretically I could be turned off from a CT. Chances of that are extremely low though. All the cars Iā€™ve driven other than that Acura have had small little things I could nitpick about. But nothing so horrible as to not want to drive them. Well, except for a few that seemed to be mechanically cursed.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Yeah, I'm not going to need a test drive. Sight unseen for me, it's a done deal. Wrap it up, I'll take it! I should say though, that I've already seen it in person at the Peterson Auto Museum when it was on public display for a couple of weeks. It was well worth driving two hours each way to see it. There is nothing that could talk me out of it.
Can you say if there was anything that your visit revealed? Like it was larger than you thought, The surface was more shiny than the photos you have seen, The bed was deeper than you thought, .... anything that left an impression you care to share for those of us with only online exposure?

Reactions: Jow

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
You make a great point. Iā€™m a little ways away from getting mine, but a good friend of mine has a better place in line. Iā€™ll definitely drive his a couple of times before I take delivery.
BTW:
SETTING is the time and geographic location within a narrative, either nonfiction or fiction.

SITTING is a basic human action and resting position in which the body weight is supported primarily by the buttocks in contact with the ground or a horizontal object such as a chair seat.
I hope I find a good friend like that! Maybe Tesla will have a Cybertruck that I can test drive. I'm way down on the list!
BTW:
Very astute...I try to keep those straight by remembering that"people "sit" and objects "set." ?

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Have you been in a Tesla? With no engine up front the visibility for driver and passenger is excellent and the higher vehicles like MX and MY even better. So ā€˜thatā€™ wonā€™t be an issue. Why not go test drive a Model X?

Anyway, if you arenā€™t in the first batch by reservation number you will probably be able to see one in a showroom. Personally, from my experiences with Teslas, I expect ā€˜awesomeā€™ will be the experience word, let alone disappointment.
I'm way down on the list. I'll probably be able to see one in the showroom. There is at least one Tesla showroom in the metropolitan Atlanta area. After reserving the Cybertruck I actually got a call from them, asking if I wanted to schedule a test drive. I told them I was holding out for the Cybertruck.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Can you say if there was anything that your visit revealed? Like it was larger than you thought, The surface was more shiny than the photos you have seen, The bed was deeper than you thought, .... anything that left an impression you care to share for those of us with only online exposure?
It's fucking big, but I expected that. What I can say, is that it absolutely took my breath away. The sign said "please do not touch", but that was for regular fans, of course. I definitely felt her up, it's a handsome beast. It's perfect. It looks like if God designed a truck, this would be it.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Iā€™m far enough out that Iā€™ll find a way to experience a CT before my delivery date.

I once drove an Acura sedan that felt really odd. It was as if the steering wheel was somehow in front of the front wheels. When it turned it felt like you were out in front of the turn even though the body of the car was actually turning as expected. I have no idea what really caused that sensation but it turned me off of Acuraā€™s from that point on.

So theoretically I could be turned off from a CT. Chances of that are extremely low though. All the cars Iā€™ve driven other than that Acura have had small little things I could nitpick about. But nothing so horrible as to not want to drive them. Well, except for a few that seemed to be mechanically cursed.
Yep! That's why I at least want to sit in the driver's seat!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I don't know about anyone else. But I already feel like I know more about The Cybertruck than I've known about any vehicle I've ever purchased. And the final specs aren't even released yet. But really, by the time I get mine, I will have spent a tremendous amount of time and effort to glean all the info I possibly can . I'm 64 and have purchased quite a few vehicles, but I've never had this much interest and time to study my prey.

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
I don't know about anyone else. But I already feel like I know more about The Cybertruck than I've known about any vehicle I've ever purchased. And the final specs aren't even released yet. But really, by the time I get mine, I will have spent a tremendous amount of time and effort to glean all the info I possibly can . I'm 64 and have purchased quite a few vehicles, but I've never had this much interest and time to study my prey.
I know! What is it about this truck...!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It's fucking big, but I expected that. What I can say, is that it absolutely took my breath away. The sign said "please do not touch", but that was for regular fans, of course. I definitely felt her up, it's a handsome beast. It's perfect. It looks like if God designed a truck, this would be it.
Man, I was looking for an excuse to bail. How can I say no to a divine design now? I am definitely more committed than I was before reading your post. Tesla should give you a cut. You even helped me pick a name for mine: Moto Moto (Mine has two Motors, as you pointed it is a handsome beast and it is Chunky)

Last edited:

Militaryadam

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Aerospace
Country flag
I'm not estimated to receive my truck until June 2023 and by then the reviews will be in for it so I won't sweat about it until they say people of my height can't see out of it. I'm more concerned about my 4'11" wife, but cars that have driver seats that lift up are no problem for her.
How do you know when youā€™re slated for? Iā€™ve been looking for some link or chart to give me a rough estimate and I canā€™t find anything.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How do you know when youā€™re slated for? Iā€™ve been looking for some link or chart to give me a rough estimate and I canā€™t find anything.
Find your estimated position using 'verify' at this URL: https://sites.google.com/view/tesla-reservation-tracker

The configurator has not opened yet, so we don't have specific dates. That will come later this year. Then Tesla will reach out to reservation holders in order of region, features, and order number.

-Crissa

Sdidesign

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Ram
Occupation
Product Developer and Parts Sourcing Manager
Country flag
If you never owned a truck before it will be a big change. So anyone who needs to experience that, go drive someone's truck for the day and report back.
Sponsored