TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Maybe someone on here may have gone thru Tesla's pre-order to ORder system for one of their other cars.
How is the process expected to go?
Do PRe-order holders get a mass email before launch asking them to convert?
Or do they piece meal it out?

Never pre-ordered a vehicle before so was wondering.
Sponsored

rjtumble

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche, Subaru Forrester, Ford Focus, 1932 Deuce Coupe
Occupation
Computer Support
Country flag
I'm hoping to see some experienced answers on this. I've never purchased a Tesla, so would love to hear about this part of the process.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
There are lots of threads on this. What I have heard on this forum, I have not experianced a purchase thru Tesla, is they follow to some degree the order numbers. It is adjusted for within the US and even regonally but requests for final configuration are sent from Tesal to the order holder and the final trim is set. Then an estimate of delivery in a few weeks? Days? months? is given and the order processed. Payment is usually handeled at the point of hand off.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They do it in batches, mostly by order number. Yes email. Dunno about phone.

We haven't configured our orders, so they'll ask us to do that.

They will price it based upon the models they want to sell. Configuration will determine delivery date.

Eventually they'll say take a delivery date or cancel.

-Crissa

PS: No, I haven't ordered or reserved any other Tesla product, but I read lots of news and have several friends who were in the Model 3 line.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
I dont think this is a thing.
You can only cancel an order, and place a new one -but then again that's what I've been told and Telsa can always change its policy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I dont think this is a thing.
You can only cancel an order, and place a new one -but then again that's what I've been told and Telsa can always change its policy.
What is a thing?

We don't have configured orders.

Until you have an assigned VIN, you can reconfigure your order. They do this to entice people to choose the options they can build instead of waiting for options which are delayed or less profitable.

-Crissa

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I moved form a single motor to a dual motor. My number and all other info stayed the same. It is really (or was ) easy.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I moved form a single motor to a dual motor. My number and all other info stayed the same. It is really (or was ) easy.
If Tesla does it the same way they have for past models, the specific configuration you chose on your reservation doesn't really matter. Tesla will let you change it to suit what's available or wait until the configuration you really want is in production and available.

Tesla has you configure pre-orders to get a better idea of which configurations have the most demand.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Maybe someone on here may have gone thru Tesla's pre-order to ORder system for one of their other cars.
How is the process expected to go?

Never pre-ordered a vehicle before so was wondering.
We have 2 Teslas but I have only preordered a Model Y (that I canceled before they started deliveries) and the Cybertruck. So I guess I shouldnā€™t have replied as I can only guess what the Tesla fulfillment folks will do. My current guess is that we will get an email telling us that our number is up and to continue with the order.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I take it your question is more focused on the sequential timing of order-holders being asked to configure. I donā€™t know the answer to that, only trying to clarify the question.

because the sequential timing of getting to configure is different from eg, the regional differences in timing of deliveries of those who have been already configured.

that said, for what itā€™s worth, with the Ford Lightning the sequential order of being ā€˜upā€™ for configuring was in batches - or what Ford called waves. The waves were disbursed nearly weekly, and to relatively small groups of reservation holders, in roughly the order of their reservation priority.

This batching makes sense, as theyā€™re only going to take orders in a given time frame for roughly how many trucks theyā€™ll be capable of producing and delivering within a given time frame after configuration. Basically, the waves reflected reservation priority, but also the realities of both manufacturing limitations and logistics efficiency.

I donā€™t know, but would be surprised to learn that Tesla does it too very different. They are also juggling manufacturing limits and logistics efficiencies, while trying to honor order priority.
Sponsored