Frank_Castle

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation series AWD ordered
Country flag
Few questions regarding auto-pilot on a CT. I don't have any prior experience with Tesla, so I'm not sure what is normal vs abnormal.

1. When using auto pilot and going through an intersection with a green light, the display will display green lights on the traffic lights and a green light on the ground, but then still slow down. Is this normal? If so, is there a setting to turn this off.

2. There are rail road tracks near my house that are in a steep valley. As you approach the top of the hill, there is are lights there which flash if there is a train near or crossing the road. 99% of the time the lights are off. There is a second set of lights that flash if the river is flood which is like 99.99% of the time off as well. When I cross the first light set, the truck slows some. About 10-15 yards later, it sees the second set of off lights and slows down further. Any way to turn this off?

3. The city I live in has a ton of traffic circles. When coming into the vicinity of a circle which are all yield to traffic, the CT sees the yield as a hard stop. So even if there are no cars in visible sight, it stops hard at the line.

Again, not sure if any or all of the above are normal operations. If normal, any idea how to report for possible auto-pilot\FSD improvements?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY LR, R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF, Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
1st off, welcome to the Tesla family. And welcome to the Cybertruck ménage 😁
Sorry to break this to you but we don't have Autopilot just yet but it's in the works. Once ready, it will be in the que and send via OTA. Timing is soon; in a few months, maybe 🙏

GrandEnigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT, MX, and R1S
Country flag
Auto Pilot and FSD are not yet available on the CT.

It presently only has dynamic cruise control.

What you are experiencing currently is likely the result of dynamic cruise following a lead car.

Last edited:

Sturdybirdy

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Ford f150
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag

What you are experiencing currently is likely the result of dynamic cruise following a lead car.
Thanks for clarifying…very helpful. After reading some other posts, I was under the impression that the CT didn’t have any dynamic cruise control whatsoever. Does it have anything like lane keeping assistance at this point? Thanks.

OP
OP

Frank_Castle

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey gang,

Thanks for the assist. I figured I was getting terminology, etc incorrect. Thought it was autopilot just based on the screen text. Having said that, are the above three things handled with full auto pilot or FSD?

Also, if I happen to think about it when the light is green or the blank lights are present, if I keep my pedal on the gas slightly, the truck will maintain speed and ignore those - which is nice, but this is also if I catch it ahead of time. Again, not sure if the slow downs can be turned off?

With the traffic circles - this doesn't work as well. Since it thinks all circles are dead stops vs yielding, there is a red line on the computer image. If I keep slight pressure on the pedal, the truck emits a god awful warning. Any idea on how to turn that off?

All of the above criticisms are with no cars present. Annoying really.

Tesla Cybertruck Questions on autopilot with the Cybertruck 2024-05-09 12_32_32-PXL_20240509_163050447.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control will stop for green lights *unless* it is following a vehicle that is going through it *or* you tap the accelerator which is kind of like telling it "it's ok, go through it". FSD analyzes all around the vehicle and knows it can go or when it should stop. Another huge difference is if a car crosses in front of you, TAC just sees a stationary blob pop up and slams on the brakes. FSD will have been watching the car and knows its range and crossing speed and may just slow a bit or sometimes not slow down at all if it doesn't judge it to be a factor. Too many people see some of the artifacts of TAC and decide FSD sucks when the reality is FSD fixes all of those issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Frank_Castle

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control will stop for green lights *unless* it is following a vehicle that is going through it *or* you tap the accelerator which is kind of like telling it "it's ok, go through it".
Thanks Stuck4ger.

Ug annoying! Does auto pilot or FSD do the same thing?

OP
OP

Frank_Castle

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
>> TAC just sees a stationary blob pop up and slams on the brakes.
YES! I forgot about this too. Super annoying when the car is 100 yards ahead of you and cleared the turn already. Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to FSD to help with all of this. Appreciate the added details.

sjarriel

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual motor CyberTruck (Foundation Series)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

No, there is a setting in the Adaptive Cruise that allows it to be aware of traffic lights and stop signs. I tried it for about half a day, then turned it back off again, as it was being way too cautious at intersections with stop lights, and would even slow down just going past some side streets (but not all of them). But even with that setting turned off, the CT does slow down at some intersections, even when you have the green light, when using the adaptive cruise in the city. I am currently on 2024.14.3 with this functionality (or disfunctionality?).

OP
OP

Frank_Castle

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, there is a setting in the Adaptive Cruise that allows it to be aware of traffic lights and stop signs. ...... I am currently on 2024.14.3 with this functionality (or disfunctionality?).
Same. I turned off the all the settings. The last I turned off was stopping for large obstacles because I'd be driving down the road and the truck would lock up the brakes for something a car was doing on the opposite side of the double yellow lanes.

At this point, it's a 70-80s dumb cruise, but at least it won't slam the breaks on. Seems silly for a truck with fly by wire steering, electronics and battery power - but it is what it is.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
No, there is a setting in the Adaptive Cruise that allows it to be aware of traffic lights and stop signs. I tried it for about half a day, then turned it back off again, as it was being way too cautious at intersections with stop lights, and would even slow down just going past some side streets (but not all of them). But even with that setting turned off, the CT does slow down at some intersections, even when you have the green light, when using the adaptive cruise in the city. I am currently on 2024.14.3 with this functionality (or disfunctionality?).
From owner’s manual: This feature uses the vehicle's forward-facing cameras, in addition to GPS data, and slows the car for all detected traffic lights, including green, blinking yellow, and off lights in addition to stop signs and some road markings. As Cybertruck approaches an intersection, the touchscreen displays a notification indicating the intention to slow down. You must confirm that you want to continue or Cybertruck stops at the red line displayed on the touchscreen's driving visualization.

sjarriel

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual motor CyberTruck (Foundation Series)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not so sure I like the logic of that programming. It's asking you to take your eye off the road as you are approaching an intersection, in order to tell the truck it's ok to go through the intersection? I have to put my glasses on (readers) in order to see some of those 'warning' comments anyway.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I'm not so sure I like the logic of that programming. It's asking you to take your eye off the road as you are approaching an intersection, in order to tell the truck it's ok to go through the intersection? I have to put my glasses on (readers) in order to see some of those 'warning' comments anyway.
No, you confirm by just a momentary tap of the accelerator. Unlike FSD, that is looking and analyzing all around, TAC has blinders on and won’t see somebody about to run a red light, thus it needs your confirmation that it’s clear. The exception is if it’s following another vehicle, then it uses that as a sign it is safe.
Sponsored