R1T vs. F150L “Cargo” Comparison (by Alex on Autos)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
With one big caveat, I thought this was an interesting comparison of the R1T vs F150L cargo capabilities and features:

The big caveat, however, is the lack of comparing cabin space. In short, the cabin space of the F150L is huge compared to the R1T, but especially the back seat area - which for pickups (with flip-up back seats) is a key cargo area.

As a larger-sized human myself, and with two toddlers (a third on the way), these cabin “hauling” features are least as important as the other features the video covers.

Lightning (F/B):
headroom: 40.8/40.4
legroom: 43.9/43.6
hiproom: 62.5/62.6
shoulderroom: 66.7/66

R1T (F/B):
headroom: 41.1/38.1
legroom: 41.4/36.6
hiproom: 54.9/54.2
shoulderroom: 60.6/59

The F150 platform has a massive back seat area. Good for not only cargo, but also can fit three large car seats across, and with “leg” room allowing back-facing car seats that don’t begin to touch the front seats when pushed way back. (The R1T, I suspect, can only fit 2 car seats across, and a rear-facing would require the front seat to be near its forward-most position.)

Before the toddlers, the back seat area (with flip-up back seats) was key storage for dogs, guns, saddles, furniture, etc. And the 60/40 split allows for a few cargo/seating combinations.

Found two photos online to give a comparison
Tesla Cybertruck R1T vs. F150L “Cargo” Comparison (by Alex on Autos) 6AD4B288-C2B7-4728-8114-E046FBA76738

Tesla Cybertruck R1T vs. F150L “Cargo” Comparison (by Alex on Autos) A441C28D-CAA0-4F9B-90F9-4D043B789B01

As a larger-sized human myself, and with two toddlers (a third on the way), these cabin “hauling” features are least as important as the other features the video covers.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
R1T .v. F-150L is comparing a 15/16’s to fullsize truck.

The smaller pickup has attracted a following. Thanks for posting the dims. Wondered just how small the Rivian was inside.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The smaller pickup has attracted a following.
I do think that’s the big point, that could have been clearer in the video. While the Rivian manages to impressively match a lot of cargo space of a full-sized truck, it should be clearer it is a mid-sized truck for better and worse.

As someone recently pointed out to me, the Rivian’s back seat is smaller by almost exactly the same amount as the entire truck is shorter than the F150. For folks driving/parking in real cities, that’s the trade-off.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
With one big caveat, I thought this was an interesting comparison of the R1T vs F150L cargo capabilities and features:

The big caveat, however, is the lack of comparing cabin space. In short, the cabin space of the F150L is huge compared to the R1T, but especially the back seat area - which for pickups (with flip-up back seats) is a key cargo area.

Lightning (F/B):
headroom: 40.8/40.4
legroom: 43.9/43.6
hiproom: 62.5/62.6
shoulderroom: 66.7/66

R1T (F/B):
headroom: 41.1/38.1
legroom: 41.4/36.6
hiproom: 54.9/54.2
shoulderroom: 60.6/59

The F150 platform has a massive back seat area. Good for not only cargo, but also can fit three large car seats across, and with “leg” room allowing back-facing car seats that don’t begin to touch the front seats when pushed way back. (The R1T, I suspect, can only fit 2 car seats across, and a rear-facing would require the front seat to be near its forward-most position.)

Before the toddlers, the back seat area (with flip-up back seats) was key storage for dogs, guns, saddles, furniture, etc. And the 60/40 split allows for a few cargo/seating combinations.

Found two photos online to give a comparison
6AD4B288-C2B7-4728-8114-E046FBA76738.jpeg

A441C28D-CAA0-4F9B-90F9-4D043B789B01.jpeg

So that's a total of 4 toddlers and 2 on the way? Does your wife know about the other family you have? :eek: :p :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the comparison between the two, I suppose you'll be getting one of each then? Lol.

-

What surprises me most is how much the Rivian weighs though. Its impressive that Ford managed to convert a F150 to EV so effectively. The F150 rear seat is ideal for cruising with passengers and I'm looking forward to a cabin which has adult rear seating. All the "utes" here in Oz are essentially all 2 seater for our family, I'm 6'6, and need to fold in half to fit in most back seats.

I'm a fan of internal space on any vehicle, the bed is useful sure, but the vault lock up is out of the elements and dry, and is at least twice as good. I'm hoping, but doubt we will see a midgate on the CT because of the vault cover, so I'm hoping at least the seats fold up or down to create interior loading space. Possibly even a sleeping area inside. Ideally all the seats would be mounted on rails and be removable, that would give the best configurability. Even just a stowable front middle seat, and rotating front seats would be awesome, as it would create a living area whilst camping, parked or driving FSD.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
So that's a total of 4 toddlers and 2 on the way? Does your wife know about the other family you have? :eek:
:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the comparison between the two, I suppose you'll be getting one of each then? Lol.
just theF150L and CT for me, thanks:D

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
I heard a number like 51.9 cubic feet of cargo volume for the F150L 2nd row. That is essentially the same as the bed.

Note that the Rivian's cargo tunnel just steals space from the underside of the passenger seats and prevents them from making room on the floor. Also the seats flip the other way and have those built-in dividers on the floor. I love how the F150L back seat flips up and makes a ton of floor space available for stuff I don't want to have to put on the seat. Things like tools with sharp blades, or jugs of fluids like oil or glue that might have some on the outside...

Since that cargo space is right by the driver's door and actually easier to access than the bed with its high lift over and big tailgate, use the floor of the 2nd row area a lot more for cargo than the bed.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Note that the Rivian's cargo tunnel just steals space from the underside of the passenger seats and prevents them from making room on the floor.
what little is left, they fill up with the Max pack

one hand giveth, the other taketh away

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
what little is left, they fill up with the Max pack

one hand giveth, the other taketh away
There is 14 cu ft of cargo space in my F150L that I wish I could fill with battery instead. Not sure the weight distribution works out, but that huge frunk is mostly unused by me.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
There is 14 cu ft of cargo space in my F150L that I wish I could fill with battery instead. Not sure the weight distribution works out, but that huge frunk is mostly unused by me.
you’re doing it all wrong 🤣

that, or Unlike me you don’t have three kids taking up the back seat

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
you’re doing it all wrong 🤣

that, or Unlike me you don’t have three kids taking up the back seat
Kids are off to college, but we did all ride in the F150L to thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws the other week as its our largest, most luxurious vehicle for 4 adult passengers.

The problem with the frunk is that I park nose-first up against the back of the garage. Accessing the frunk in the garage requires the inconvenience of backing the truck out a few feet. Easier to just toss stuff in the 2nd row floor.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Kids are off to college, but we did all ride in the F150L to thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws the other week as its our largest, most luxurious vehicle for 4 adult passengers.

The problem with the frunk is that I park nose-first up against the back of the garage. Accessing the frunk in the garage requires the inconvenience of backing the truck out a few feet. Easier to just toss stuff in the 2nd row floor.
#summon lol