Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
So I bought a Model 3 in Feb this year to hold me over until the Cybertruck comes out, and I have to say that the thing I hate the most about it is how much it rattles and creaks from random spots at random times all the time. I don't know if it's simply because it's an old design, or because they are made in California, so they don't test how their designs work in changing temperatures, etc - does anyone have thoughts on this?

It's definitely worrisome to me that the Cybertruck would have the same issue, especially since I'd be doing far more aggressive things with it, and it's meant to be a tank. How can you enjoy or brag about your bullet proof tank and then it's interior is squeaking and rattling after a few months, even when not going over bumps lol.

I've had many many cars, and Toyotas for example never make a sound 20 years later - those things are rock solid. I watch Sandy Munro and he hasn't spoken much about squeaks and creaks and what Tesla should do differently there. Anyone have any thoughts to inspire confidence on this? Or thoughts on what we can do to get Elon to ensure this is super prioritized like it is at Toyota?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Our 2021 Model Y is tight as a drum. No rattles, squeaks, etc.
I hope that’s what ends up being the case! Really want Tesla to pay attention on this like Toyota does. Have you had it through temperature changes? Even when you go over bumps?

How long have you had it? My Model 3 has definitely gotten worse over time unfortunately.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If first EV, lack of engine noise accentuates perception of all other noises.

Practical joke to play on spouse, place half filled water bottle on back floorboards and play innocent when wife complains about the noise and how the bottle got there.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I hope that’s what ends up being the case! Really want Tesla to pay attention on this like Toyota does. Have you had it through temperature changes? Even when you go over bumps?

How long have you had it? My Model 3 has definitely gotten worse over time unfortunately.
Curious and not helpful question, does the squeaks sound originate within the cab or outside the cab?

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
If first EV, lack of engine noise accentuates perception of all other noises.

Practical joke to play on spouse, place half filled water bottle on back floorboards and play innocent when wife complains about the noise and how the bottle got there.
No these are def rattles - gonna have to take it in for service. It’s tough though because they are so intermittent and random. One is from the passenger seatbelt buckle, a couple are from somewhere in the dash, on both the left and right sides, then there’s a couple in the back that I have no idea where they are coming from lol

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Curious and not helpful question, does the squeaks sound originate within the cab or outside the cab?
They are all interior noises thus far

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Sandy Munro mentioned a whistling noise in their Model S Plaid. In Munro Live's most recent video He went over a new Model Y with the owner and she said she loved how quiet it was.

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Sandy Munro mentioned a whistling noise in their Model S Plaid. In Munro Live's most recent video He went over a new Model Y with the owner and she said she loved how quiet it was.
Yeah I do remember that come to think of it. I’m mostly worried about the plastics and how poorly they seem to be put together. I want to do some aggressive things with this truck, and really would just want to know that I’m not creating a bunch of rattles and squeaks in the future. A Toyota 4 runner for example doesn’t have that problem

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have yet to see proof that Toyotas don't have the same problem, since complaints are so subjective.

Yes, I am a bit biased against Toyota, they strung me along twice and sold me a damaged car once. Yes, those are dealership problems, but...

-Crissa

OP
OP

Mr. Keys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Country flag
Sorry to hear that! Gotta ride in a Toyota truck - those things are true tanks. I had 10+ older junk cars in my younger days and the Toyotas were always on a whole different level. Here in NYC practically every Uber is a Toyota, and for very good reason

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I bought a 2022 Model Y in March and it is much quieter (is that even a word?) than our 2019 Model 3. That said, I hear every noise inside the car, for example my water bottle or even items in the console moving about.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I bought a 2022 Model Y in March and it is much quieter (is that even a word?) than our 2019 Model 3. That said, I hear every noise inside the car, for example my water bottle or even items in the console moving about.
You hear every interior noise because the exterior noise is greatly diminished. The lack of a cycling gasoline engine creates a white noise, it is loud enough that it drowns out interior noises. Your brain can now focus on that interior noise because your newer Tesla is so much more quiet inside and out. Turn on your radio.
Sponsored