Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Lacrosse, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
HR
Country flag
Given my CT will be a daily driver, it would be nice to fully charge and not need to worry about state of charge. Just plug it in when home and forget it. Don't need super fast 0-60 time and towing needs are light. Do need 4WD for mud, sand, and snow. Seems unlikely however...
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You can just plug in and not worry about state of charge. The car worries about it for you. You set the max charge. Just leave it at 80% max and maybe bump it up prior to road tripping. It’s less effort than filling your car up the night before a trip, you can do it while sitting on your couch.

Range ends up similar to LFP if you do that, but charging speeds are faster on the road.

I suspect the Tesla built 4680 cells for the Cybertruck are going to charge much much faster than any LFP cells available in the next few years.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Rivian plans LFP cells, heat pump, 800V upgrade; 2022 production plan halved to 25,000
By Bengt Halvorson
March 11, 2022
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-upgrade-2022-production-plan-halved-to-25000

Rivian revealed a series of technology surprises with its quarterly update. Perhaps most surprisingly, the “260+ mile” Standard pack, which it attempted to steer more people toward as part of last week’s poorly communicated price hike, will include a “new pack architecture” with a lithium-iron phosphate (LFP) cell chemistry rather than the other models’ high-nickel NCA cells.

OP
OP

morgantown

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Lacrosse, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
HR
Country flag
You can just plug in and not worry about state of charge. The car worries about it for you. You set the max charge. Just leave it at 80% max and maybe bump it up prior to road tripping. It’s less effort than filling your car up the night before a trip, you can do it while sitting on your couch.

Range ends up similar to LFP if you do that, but charging speeds are faster on the road.

I suspect the Tesla built 4680 cells for the Cybertruck are going to charge much much faster than any LFP cells available in the next few years.
All are very good points ?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Given my CT will be a daily driver, it would be nice to fully charge and not need to worry about state of charge. Just plug it in when home and forget it. Don't need super fast 0-60 time and towing needs are light. Do need 4WD for mud, sand, and snow. Seems unlikely however...
On battery day I thought something similar and only later found out that they weren't planning any LFP tabless cells with a structural battery pack. If you look at the various savings, at least on paper there is only a 4% difference in range. Clearly that is my ignorance of how complex getting all these things to work together is, or maybe they will try that out later. Either way it won't happen until they have the NiMg cells at full capacity.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As usual with all things Tesla Battery, Jordon from The Limiting Factor has a good video on LFP and 4680 cells.

He suggests it might be possible down the road, but not for a few years. Tesla is too busy and the the blade cells they’ve been buying are good enough for their current uses.
Sponsored