Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Great video. The steering was very quick, without any more than a full turn of the wheel/yoke he went lock to lock. Hilarious how many chefs in that kitchen. One thing that really bothered me was that guy standing between the back of the truck and that wall. Years of experience working with heavy equipment. You NEVER put yourself in a position like that!

Edit: I didn't see your comment until after I posted Trekboy

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Well it appears 4WS won’t cure the need for the 12 point turn!

Cool to see definitive posterior wheel turning
I could have put that truck in there with 1 point turn :p . Without all those yahoos!!

Come on Tesla, Just put me in a truck!!!

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And people were saying it was mechanical… I can’t see it (mechanical) being that fast with such a small throw… It’s gonna take some getting used to… and a few curbings for some… but once mastered it’s unbelievable!! Can’t wait.

Setok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender
Country flag
At 1:36 the driver reaches up to the rear view mirror to???

... change from mirror mode to camera display mode?
Or hitting the PNRD buttons (if they’re in the same place as with the new Model 3). Nuisance to not have proper physical controls for that.

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
Or hitting the PNRD buttons (if they’re in the same place as with the new Model 3). Nuisance to not have proper physical controls for that.
Same thing at the 25-26 second mark. He reaches up to put it in reverse. I have a feeling I'll be doing that instead of hitting the screen

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
And people were saying it was mechanical… I can’t see it (mechanical) being that fast with such a small throw… It’s gonna take some getting used to… and a few curbings for some… but once mastered it’s unbelievable!! Can’t wait.
I'm not saying that it's not SbW, but I'm not seeing anything in this video that positively confirms that it's SbW. I agree that it has a low lock to lock handwheel rotation. Looks to be around 180 instead of the more common 270 degree, but that alone doesn't mean SbW, it just means there's a high steering ratio. The road wheel angle vs hand wheel angle looked consistent, so we can rule out mechanical variable steering ratio. 3 things would provide definative confirmation on SbW.

1) Tesla presentation on Nov. 30th. Information isn't always consistent amongst service center employees.

2) Visual confirmation of the steering rack

3) Footage of different hand wheel angles and different vehicle speeds.

Untill I see any of these things, I'll assume the front wheels are still a standard EPS steering rack. The rears are most definitely SbW since who the hell would use mechanical linkage to the rears these days.
Sponsored