Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I love the Cybertruck! I just have one nagging issue with it. The CT is not alone in my disdain, many trucks on the road today have the same issue. I have a need for an eight foot long, five foot wide bed. Ever since the CT was revealed I have been asking for a full length bed. But the truck is just too long with a full length bed and a four door cabin. There have been calls for a drop down vault wall between the vault and the cabin. The Tailgate has an end stop built in. These are good ideas. But I have been thinking on this and as Mr. Musk has said "go back to first principles".

I suggest that Tesla should offer a regular cab version of the Cybertruck. This version could keep all of the same aspects of the CT, including the length, the width, the folded, hard, stainless steel body lines and the motor options. But, instead of a second row of seating, the regular cab would have the bed length. Just like the old school trucks that I grew up with, worked with, and relied on.

My question boils down to how many of us really need four to six seats in a work truck? On a daily basis, I drive to work by myself, I go to the lumber store by myself or with one other person, I work on my projects by myself, or maybe if I have the extra cash to hire a helper, one other person. It isn't a stretch to think that a pickup truck and a coupe are similar in their customer base.

I would love to read your thoughts on this. What do the rest of you think?
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yankee ingenuity!

Third party suppliers will readily fill that gap with a flatbed. It will work by spanning across the top of the vault; rest on both sail pillars and carry widths 76” x 144” easily + 36” longer suspended beyond tailgate & red flagged.

Optional electric rams will elevate flatbed to horizontal if there is a desire for that. Ratchet straps are more than adequate to hold cargo on a sailpillar incline precluding all but the most esoteric need for horizontal transport.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I love the Cybertruck! I just have one nagging issue with it. The CT is not alone in my disdain, many trucks on the road today have the same issue. I have a need for an eight foot long, five foot wide bed. Ever since the CT was revealed I have been asking for a full length bed. But the truck is just too long with a full length bed and a four door cabin. There have been calls for a drop down vault wall between the vault and the cabin. The Tailgate has an end stop built in. These are good ideas. But I have been thinking on this and as Mr. Musk has said "go back to first principles".

I suggest that Tesla should offer a regular cab version of the Cybertruck. This version could keep all of the same aspects of the CT, including the length, the width, the folded, hard, stainless steel body lines and the motor options. But, instead of a second row of seating, the regular cab would have the bed length. Just like the old school trucks that I grew up with, worked with, and relied on.

My question boils down to how many of us really need four to six seats in a work truck? On a daily basis, I drive to work by myself, I go to the lumber store by myself or with one other person, I work on my projects by myself, or maybe if I have the extra cash to hire a helper, one other person. It isn't a stretch to think that a pickup truck and a coupe are similar in their customer base.

Question is what can't you put on a rack that is 10ft long? And the rear seat can be folded up for tools. That leaves you with a 3 seater.

Biggest problem with a single cab version is that it would mean making another model and changes to the assembly lines that adds cost. Also the exoskeleton would have to change if you wanted a top loading bed length of 8ft. You would have to get rid of the front bed wall and roof structure. If you don't mind sliding it in then a aftermarket folding midgate or pass thru might be a better option. That is if the rack doesn't work for some reason.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

I don't think an eight foot bed will come to the CT for one specific reason. Tesla doesn't really offer a bunch of different versions of their models. If we look at any of their vehicles, the biggest difference you can actually choose from is the size of the battery, size of the wheels, black or white seats, and the paint color.

Tesla even puts heated rear seats in all cars even if you don't pay to unlock it and all cars have the ability to activate FSD. This simplifies the production a lot when the only different between two different products of the same model are what battery pack to put on it, whether to put in black or white seats, and then what color to paint it.
For an eight foot bed, it's an entirely new truck that will require a lot of changes. I think more people would like a second row of seats than an eight foot bed. While I agree an eight foot bed is a better work truck, a lot of people including some contractors I know, have a family and can't always afford to have a truck that's only used for work.

Third party suppliers will readily fill that gap with a flatbed. It will work by spanning across the top of the vault; rest on both sail pillars and carry widths 76” x 144” easily + 36” longer suspended beyond tailgate & red flagged.
This would be a great solution. I can definitely recall seeing regular cars carrying lumber that wouldn't even fit on an eight foot bed. A simple roof rack design for the cybertruck with even just a sheet of plywood sticking out of a crack in the vault against the tailgate would allow someone to carry lumber as long as they want as long as they account for the height. eight-twelve foot pieces would be pretty easy and with a simple ratchet strap over the bottom and top would completely secure it in place. You could even replace the plywood with something that's secured to the the roof racks to keep the vault closed and to be more secure than just a piece of plywood.

OP
OP
Challeco

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Yankee ingenuity!

Optional electric rams will elevate flatbed to horizontal if there is a desire for that. Ratchet straps are more than adequate to hold cargo on a sailpillar incline precluding all but the most esoteric need for horizontal transport.
Everything you mention here is extra weight on the suspension. Sure, it sounds cool to cyberpunk the cybertruck. But, my question was intended toward work truck and away from expense heavy add-ons that lower payload.

OP
OP
Challeco

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Question is what can't you put on a rack that is 10ft long? And the rear seat can be folded up for tools. That leaves you with a 3 seater.

Biggest problem with a single cab version is that it would mean making another model and changes to the assembly lines that adds cost. Also the exoskeleton would have to change if you wanted a top loading bed length of 8ft. You would have to get rid of the front bed wall and roof structure. If you don't mind sliding it in then a aftermarket folding midgate or pass thru might be a better option. That is if the rack doesn't work for some reason.
Is a three seater really that far out of Telsa's wheelhouse? The folded body can be designed the same way as the cybertruck was designed. I may be wrong in my assessment of your response, but it sounds like the "there's no market for it- so why do it" argument that so many companies used before Tesla came around. Honestly, Tesla has broken that mode of thought with the roadster, the Model S, the Model X, and the 3 and Y. The Cybertruck is a first principles examination of the truck market. They didn't build it to be the same, but to be better and fix what was accepted but not entirely good.

I am glad for the responses.

I don't expect anyone here or at Tesla to take my thoughts seriously. My brain just keeps cramping at all these "light weight" heavy add-ons like a top heavy rack, a flat bed add-on, Origami style campers, and high tech trailers. What ever happened to waist high load height, lowest center of gravity payload, simple access?

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Seriously, if you absolutely need an 8 foot bed then find it elsewhere. Tesla won’t be making it for years and years, if ever. For all the reasons listed above. You say, “Oh, it can’t be that hard to redesign the 6 seater, make it a three seater and lengthen the bed 2 feet; just make it look like that.” It really is more difficult than you imagine. Tesla is spending billions of dollars building this plant just to make 1 version with multiple motor options. They haven’t even got the first one built. Don’t you think maybe it is smarter to finish the factory and make the first 50,000 or so and get the bugs ironed out? The R&D, engineering, designing and manufacturing are more difficult than writing up a wish list.

I would love a pass through wall. Almost 100% certain it won’t happen. If that is my “must have” feature I will need to look elsewhere or go without. You can blame us for being negative, but reality is a harsh mistress.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't need a work truck.

I need a play truck for hauling myself and friends around the state for camping/ mountain biking/ kayaking/ whatever. So I'm all for the current design.

OP
OP
Challeco

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Seriously, if you absolutely need an 8 foot bed then find it elsewhere. Tesla won’t be making it for years and years. For all the reasons listed above. You say, “Oh, it can’t be that hard to redesign the 6 seater, make it a three seater and lengthen the bed 2 feet; just make it look like that.” It really is more difficult than you imagine. Tesla is spending billions of dollars building this plant just to make 1 version with multiple motor options. They haven’t even got the first one built. Don’t you think maybe it is smarter to finish the factory and make the first 50,000 or do and get the bugs ironed out? The R&D, engineering, designing and manufacturing are more difficult than writing up a wish list.

I would love a pass through wall. Almost 100% certain it won’t happen. If that is my “must have” feature I will need to look elsewhere or go without. You can blame us for being negative, but reality is a harsh mistress.
I stated a question. You dismissed my question with speculations. I didn't say I wouldn't buy it. I have a reservation that I am looking forward to with nearly lust! The intent of my question was to get other opinions and ideas. I wasn't expecting brilliance nor agreement. However, I was hoping for considered dialogue, not sour grapes when I respond. Tesla comes up with a bad ass re-imagining of a pickup and you come back with "can't"? I don't buy it. I also don't expect Tesla to listen to me either. I was just offering my ideas and questions.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Is a three seater really that far out of Telsa's wheelhouse? The folded body can be designed the same way as the cybertruck was designed. I may be wrong in my assessment of your response, but it sounds like the "there's no market for it- so why do it" argument that so many companies used before Tesla came around. Honestly, Tesla has broken that mode of thought with the roadster, the Model S, the Model X, and the 3 and Y. The Cybertruck is a first principles examination of the truck market. They didn't build it to be the same, but to be better and fix what was accepted but not entirely good.

I am glad for the responses.

I don't expect anyone here or at Tesla to take my thoughts seriously. My brain just keeps cramping at all these "light weight" heavy add-ons like a top heavy rack, a flat bed add-on, Origami style campers, and high tech trailers. What ever happened to waist high load height, lowest center of gravity payload, simple access?
It's not that there is no market for it, it's just not as much of a market to have a specific work truck like there used to be. Now unfortately it would be more complicated than it might seem to build work truck with 2 doors, 3 seats, and an 8 foot bed. You would need longer sides of course that lead up to the front doors, the floor of the bed itself is one big piece so it would need to be made, the cover could easily be extended but the storage for the cover when the vault is open would need a big increase. You also have to consider the glass roof that will need to be a different size since the bed would be further up. Also Tesla has a 6.5' bed, taking out the rear seats that have lots of leg room for 1.5' doesn't really add up. you'd either have a massive storage space behind the front seats or you would have closer to a 9' bed or more unless you change the overall length of the cybertruck itself which adds more changes like battery size and wheel base.

Even if this was more feasible to do, the big question would be, is there a big enough market? Personally I don't think there would be. I don't think that would reduce the price much at all. You get rid of the back row seats but that's definitely not all that expensive when Tesla is already making lots for the 6 seat model, same with the rear doors. You might save a little money from eliminating those parts but obviously other costs might raise like the extra steel, larger cover, and anything else that is modified just for that version.

So if you have the 3 seat version for lets say 37990 (just a guess), and a 6 seat version for 39990. I think the market for an 8' Cybertruck isn't going to be much at all. The people I know that have a work truck have 5 seats so that truck can be their only vehicle. Most people have to worry about a family and not everyone has multiple vehicles. Even the people I know with an 8ft bed still have a 5 seat truck, it's just two doors. Which is also something I don't really expect to see from Tesla for the same reasons above.

One more thing that I will add. it's much harder for Tesla to do this than other manufacturers. most other makes have multiple factories that are producing their vehicles and they have the cabin and bed separate. Ford can mix and match the cabins and beds, but Tesla will have one factory and their exoskeleton design makes it a lot more complicated to make changes to bed size.

OP
OP
Challeco

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
It's not that there is no market for it, it's just not as much of a market to have a specific work truck like there used to be. Now unfortately it would be more complicated than it might seem to build work truck with 2 doors, 3 seats, and an 8 foot bed. You would need longer sides of course that lead up to the front doors, the floor of the bed itself is one big piece so it would need to be made, the cover could easily be extended but the storage for the cover when the vault is open would need a big increase. You also have to consider the glass roof that will need to be a different size since the bed would be further up. Also Tesla has a 6.5' bed, taking out the rear seats that have lots of leg room for 1.5' doesn't really add up. you'd either have a massive storage space behind the front seats or you would have closer to a 9' bed or more unless you change the overall length of the cybertruck itself which adds more changes like battery size and wheel base.

Even if this was more feasible to do, the big question would be, is there a big enough market? Personally I don't think there would be. I don't think that would reduce the price much at all. You get rid of the back row seats but that's definitely not all that expensive when Tesla is already making lots for the 6 seat model, same with the rear doors. You might save a little money from eliminating those parts but obviously other costs might raise like the extra steel, larger cover, and anything else that is modified just for that version.

So if you have the 3 seat version for lets say 37990 (just a guess), and a 6 seat version for 39990. I think the market for an 8' Cybertruck isn't going to be much at all. The people I know that have a work truck have 5 seats so that truck can be their only vehicle. Most people have to worry about a family and not everyone has multiple vehicles. Even the people I know with an 8ft bed still have a 5 seat truck, it's just two doors. Which is also something I don't really expect to see from Tesla for the same reasons above.

One more thing that I will add. it's much harder for Tesla to do this than other manufacturers. most other makes have multiple factories that are producing their vehicles and they have the cabin and bed separate. Ford can mix and match the cabins and beds, but Tesla will have one factory and their exoskeleton design makes it a lot more complicated to make changes to bed size.
I was looking for others to share their ideas, not shoot mine down. However, to address some of the things you wrote, there would be no need for an extended battery section as the length could very well be the same. The same amount of steel would be involved, but the complexity (extra doors) would be less. Yes, there may be a change in the length of the flat panes of glass, but they are, actually flat, and squared. There is obviously a market, otherwise Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, and even Honda, wouldn't offer a truck in their line up. Just look at the advertising for Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota to see who they are trying to attract! Workers! I would love to read your ideas that are additive, modifying, or tangential. But, this "can't be done/won't be done" line of response is disappointing.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I was looking for others to share their ideas, not shoot mine down.
Actually you posed an idea and specifically asked for peoples thoughts on this. So in a way, you left the table open for people to either agree with you, offer new ideas, or even shoot yur idea down.
But hey, if you want people to agree with you. 100% Tesla will offer an 8ft bed. No doubt about it. Like why even make a truck if you aren't going to offer an eight foot version. Just wait a little longer and you'll surely get that work truck that you want. Lets throw out this can't be done/won't be done attitude. Tesla will 100% offer every single type of vehicle that any company has ever made.

Now if that sounds sarcastic, it might be because the reply that I actually put thought and consideration with my reasoning behind it was met with hostility and I found it unnecessary to do that again.

OP
OP
Challeco

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Actually you posed an idea and specifically asked for peoples thoughts on this. So in a way, you left the table open for people to either agree with you, offer new ideas, or even shoot yur idea down.
But hey, if you want people to agree with you. 100% Tesla will offer an 8ft bed. No doubt about it. Like why even make a truck if you aren't going to offer an eight foot version. Just wait a little longer and you'll surely get that work truck that you want. Lets throw out this can't be done/won't be done attitude. Tesla will 100% offer every single type of vehicle that any company has ever made.

Now if that sounds sarcastic, it might be because the reply that I actually put thought and consideration with my reasoning behind it was met with hostility and I found it unnecessary to do that again.
If you read my statement with frustration, you would be correct. Hostility is on you. But I agree with you, I'm not doing this again.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If you read my statement with frustration, you would be correct. Hostility is on you. But I agree with you, I'm not doing this again.
Another way of looking at it is that the CT design is highly optimized, and that any variation of that design leads to less optimization. Which means in turn that a 3 seater option would involve a considerable redesign. That is what Cybermoose, and many commenters here believe as well.

As for making one, it's definitely possible, but if you wanted to use the existing CT dimensions and design, you'd have to live with even longer side wings on the bed, and a 10ft long bed if you make it a single cab. Which is hard to access just from the rear tailgate. An 8ft bed is neither here or there and won't fit nicely on the current CT length without wasting space. And for the times you need 10ft, I'm thinking a rear roof rack would do the trick too on the current CT design.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Everything you mention here is extra weight on the suspension. Sure, it sounds cool to cyberpunk the cybertruck. But, my question was intended toward work truck and away from expense heavy add-ons that lower payload.
You’re not acquainted with T-6 6061 aluminum.

You can hold a T-6 truck rack in one hand. It’ll carry 250+ lbs., ride slipstream behind the truck and enable trailer tow all at the same time. It‘ll solve your problem of losing seatbelts to “stuff” inside your truck occupying seats. Mine is backpacks, clothing and gear that accumulates on trips. It enables me to gain 2-3 seatbelts back.

It will fjord 48” water cross, crawl and run desert swoops without problem. It kills departure angle and your pocketbook. But what is free seatbelts worth? If you value seats at a premium over stuff and steep ascents are few, a T-6 rack isn’t the suspension killer, mileage drain or buttugly rusty rack of yore. It’ll smoothe your ride if you have any joust or jostle in your setup.

Agreed. It does depend what you need, afford and like. Sonoran trip only a climbing haul bag and backpack shown in photo. Full-size spare other times frees up inside bed. In the Mojave its water bladders just before going backcountry. Rack weight = 11# MTY. Rack weight = 300# FULL
Tesla Cybertruck Regular cab cybertruck F730BB32-469A-4A5B-BF69-7DA91B2D5668
Sponsored