Remote outback bush charging for the CT. I think this idea has legs. roll-out thin film printed solar roll

nmeabrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Director
Country flag
If you are looking to do some serious long-distance, off-roading then this could be the answer. Extremely lightweight which is a major consideration.
see this website for more info
https://chargearoundaustralia.com/
Sponsored

Last edited:

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
Lightweight but super low efficiency. They are going to need 3,500 sq feet+ to power the model 3 (18 solar "panels" each 59 feet long video at 0:25). I do not think you could even fit enough in the bed of CT to power it.

OP
OP

nmeabrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Director
Country flag
Lightweight but super low efficiency. They are going to need 3,500 sq feet+ to power the model 3 (18 solar "panels" each 59 feet long video at 0:25). I do not think you could even fit enough in the bed of CT to power it.
It's the concept, not this particular tech. There are some very promising perovskite flexible panels on their way. Glad for you to show us your knowledge, this rollout tech has potential, weight is a problem but I think it will be overcome. In any case, they are using this tech to drive 9k miles around Australia. So let's see before we assume. This concept has potential no matter what you think, here is another link for knowledge to critique

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Solar panels for temporary set up will be evaluated by gravimetric density (weight to power) volumetric density (volume to power when transporting) and whatever fancy word goes with the amount of area they take up when deployed (Areametric???) Weight and volume reduce range and cargo capacity when you're travelling from location to location. I'm guessing that thinner and lighter will suffer an efficiency hit as compared to thicker/heavier framed panels, but may be worth it if enough surface area is available to even things out.

BUT... surface area is rarely unlimited. Tight campsites, trees, or terrain may be your limiting factor, so massive, light and thin panels may not be deployable. I'd want to see spider web graphs with weight, volume, area, power, and cost to compare the different form factors to better compare which is best suited for boondocking.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It literally fits in the bed of a truck because it rolls up. The advantage is that it's super-thin and super-cheap.

-Crissa

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
If you are in Australia, in the kinds of places that don't have chargers or electricity, finding the space to roll this out will not be a problem.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Looks promising, a few papers down the line, this could be a thing.

For travelers RV awnings , 270 degree awnings, Solar panels, all these combined could turn charging stations into backup.

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Looks promising, a few papers down the line, this could be a thing.

For travelers RV awnings , 270 degree awnings, Solar panels, all these combined could turn charging stations into backup.
Yeah Tesla being a solar company I really hope that they develop awnings for RVs and then maybe even modify them for the cyber truck, they could go on both sides

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
also check this out on YouTube:

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
It's the concept, not this particular tech. There are some very promising perovskite flexible panels on their way. Glad for you to show us your knowledge, this rollout tech has potential, weight is a problem but I think it will be overcome. In any case, they are using this tech to drive 9k miles around Australia. So let's see before we assume. This concept has potential no matter what you think, here is another link for knowledge to critique
You understand that I was just literally repeating what the video said, with a citation, that it would require 3,500 sq feet of solar roll for this trip. It is not my data, it is their data. And that is to power a model 3 according to them not to me.

I like flexible panels, I own a flexible panel, they are very useful for certain applications. Maxeon flexible cells offer very good power efficiency though not as lightweight as these. (See, for example, the Fisker Ocean SolarSky roof.) These print-on panels may have a use case somewhere as well.

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
It literally fits in the bed of a truck because it rolls up. The advantage is that it's super-thin and super-cheap.

-Crissa
But the actual video said it would require 18 rolls, each ~4+ feel wide and what looks like at least 1 foot in diameter when rolled for a model 3 according to the video. So will 18 rolls fit in the CT? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But the actual video said it would require 18 rolls, each ~4+ feel wide and what looks like at least 1 foot in diameter when rolled for a model 3 according to the video. So will 18 rolls fit in the CT? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think you need to re-watch their video because you're pulling a factoid out of context. News reports often suck when it comes to actual information. I don't know where they got 18 from, since the strips are in sets of 16, times four per roll, and they're using 6 rolls to recharge the car... And the news report didn't mention they were using 6 hours a day to charge the car.

https://www.youtube.com/@chargearoundoz/videos

One demo they did was one roll on a little motorcycle style trailer, and in the live one they're using a little van to carry the rolls. The point is that they're very cheap, and very light, the rolls are not in fact all that massive.

No one should be saying these rolls would be what you put on your truck - they're a technology demonstration for hanging on building walls or greenhouses or whatever. It's about being cheap enough that you can put them anywhere and not care that they're not particularly efficient.

-Crissa

Last edited:
OP
OP

nmeabrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Director
Country flag
I think you need to re-watch their video because you're pulling a factoid out of context. News reports often suck when it comes to actual information. I don't know where they got 18 from, since the strips are in sets of 16, times four per roll, and they're using 6 rolls to recharge the car... And the news report didn't mention they were using 6 hours a day to charge the car.

https://www.youtube.com/@chargearoundoz/videos

One demo they did was one roll on a little motorcycle style trailer, and in the live one they're using a little van to carry the rolls. The point is that they're very cheap, and very light, the rolls are not in fact all that massive.

No one should be saying these rolls would be what you put on your truck - they're a technology demonstration for hanging on building walls or greenhouses or whatever. It's about being cheap enough that you can put them anywhere and not care that they're particularly efficient.

-Crissa
Agreed, well put

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Iv always wondered if EV's could be charged by lifting up the back and spinning the tires. makes me wonder if some type of apocalypse water wheel could charge them
Sponsored