Rent my Cybertruck to other reservation holders?

foxmaster7!

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Hi All -

The one problem we all share - waiting to get our CT!

Perhaps it is the time of year, but I did not like waiting as a child for gifts and presents and I want my CT yesterday - not sometime in 2023 or longer.

This gave me an idea - it is as wild as the CT itself, but what the heck - sharing the idea even if it is not possible / practical, etc will still serve as an distraction while I wait (very impatiently) for my CT to be ready which feels like it will be in the year 20-NEVER!

Ok - so this forum created a CT Look-up Spreadsheet so we can all see what place in line we're in. Fantastic idea! I'm am about 100k in line out of 700k. (I realize that my true place has other factors to consider...)

What if a few CT owners that receive their trucks early rent out their trucks for a week or so to other fellow CT folks that are further back in the list?

What problem does this solve and who benefits?

I would seriously consider paying to rent the truck for a week or even a few days. To frankly, show off and to get a taste of what it is going to be like when I actually get my own. I can remember seeing the very first Teslas on the road in my area and spotting one "in real life" was like seeing Sasquatch the first few times.

What is in it for the lucky few that receive their CT early? Well, this is a risk for sure - that the truck will be damaged, abused, etc which would be terrible. However, if there is enough demand - enough over zealous and impatient folks like me out there who do not want to wait to even see the truck let alone drive one - then the lucky few could actually win twice as the truck could serve as an investment. All you need to do is rent it out 20 times or so and a big chunk of the expense of the truck would be covered.

Is anyone interested in renting if you are one of the lucky few? Remember, even if 90% of folks say no way! - We only need a fleet of 5 or so trucks in the renter's pool to make this a viable idea.

Now, on the other side of the transaction - Anyone else like me that would be willing to part with some cash to rent? I would call it an Entertainment expense and would get so many memories out of the whole experience if I could drive the CT for a few days a good year or two prior to receiving my very own!

This is like an Airbnb concept, but for the CT. Again, I know it will not be for most but I suppose I am in the right place to share this wild idea! :)

Thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

A very impatient CT enthusiast !!!
Sponsored

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Hi All -

Perhaps it is the time of year, but I did not like waiting as a child for gifts and presents and I want my CT yesterday - not sometime in 2023 or longer.

This gave me an idea - it is as wild as the CT itself, but what the heck - sharing the idea even if it is not possible / practical, etc will still serve as an distraction while I wait (very impatiently) for my CT to be ready which feels like it will be in the year 20-NEVER!

Ok - so this forum created a CT Look-up Spreadsheet so we can all see what place in line we're in. Fantastic idea! I'm am about 100k in line out of 700k. (I realize that my true place has other factors to consider...)

What if a few CT owners that receive their trucks early rent out their trucks for a week or so to other fellow CT folks that are further back in the list?

I would seriously consider paying to rent the truck for a week or even a few days. To frankly, show off and to get a taste of what it is going to be like when I actually get my own. I can remember seeing the very first Teslas on the road in my area and spotting one "in real life" was like seeing Sasquatch the first few times.

What is in it for the lucky few that receive their CT early? Well, this is a risk for sure - that the truck will be damaged, abused, etc which would be terrible. However, if there is enough demand - enough over zealous and impatient folks like me out there who do not want to wait to even see the truck let alone drive one - then the lucky few could actually win twice as the truck could serve as an investment. All you need to do is rent it out 20 times or so and a big chunk of the expense of the truck would be covered.

Is anyone interested in renting if you are one of the lucky few? Remember, even if 90% of folks say no way! - We only need a fleet of 5 or so trucks in the renter's pool to make this a viable idea.

Now, on the other side of the transaction - Anyone else like me that would be willing to part with some cash to rent? I would call it an Entertainment expense and would get so many memories out of the whole experience if I could drive the CT for a few days a good year or two prior to receiving my very own!

This is like an Airbnb concept, but for the CT. Again, I know it will not be for most but I suppose I am in the right place to share this wild idea! :)

Thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

I guess there's no end of ways an early owner could offset costs, and I'm sure there will be entries on this topic when the time comes.

Can a Tesla owner "de-tune" the vehicle for use by the kids? Such as limit acceleration and top speed, or at least report back to the owner? If on the CT, that could limit some of the danger from an enthusiastic borrower.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’ve rented cars - and Tesla’s - through an app called Turo, which is basically what you describe: an AirBnB for cars. Their fees are kind of high though, so maybe a group internal to the cybertruck community would be best.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have a friend who's rented his Leaf and Bolt out before.

And Tesla does encourage owners to pitch in and help each other.

Sounds like a great idea, but how should it be implemented?

-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Genius idea. Also. I like the idea of de-tuning, say make your tri-motor run like a single motor for rentals? I like it.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Turo is a very popular peer to peer car rental app where I live. Every Tesla that comes out, people throw the first ones they get on the app and charge upwards of $300/day until the supply catches up to the demand. Needless to say, the owner's of those early cars are always booked for at least 4-6 months!

How do I know this? I rented the M3 when it came out and the guy I rented from for the weekend told me how he started a Turo business once he realized his Model S was renting for obsurd amounts in the early days. I think he had 10 3's when I rented it, which was about 3 months after production. He also said that he was booked for months out on every one of them by the time my rental came up up (I waited about 3 weeks).

Anywho, Turo is great, MANY owners will charge insane rates and gladly rent on the platform, but you need to be willing to get damage. Heck, many owners probably bought the CT only to be a rental on Turo!! It's so durable, different, and robust that many downsides are mitigated.

The law of supply and demand will always dictate pricing. Less CT's = higher rates

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Turo is a very popular peer to peer car rental app where I live. Every Tesla that comes out, people throw the first ones they get on the app and charge upwards of $300/day until the supply catches up to the demand. Needless to say, the owner's of those early cars are always booked for at least 4-6 months!

How do I know this? I rented the M3 when it came out and the guy I rented from for the weekend told me how he started a Turo business once he realized his Model S was renting for obsurd amounts in the early days. I think he had 10 3's when I rented it, which was about 3 months after production. He also said that he was booked for months out on every one of them by the time my rental came up up (I waited about 3 weeks).

Anywho, Turo is great, MANY owners will charge insane rates and gladly rent on the platform, but you need to be willing to get damage. Heck, many owners probably bought the CT only to be a rental on Turo!! It's so durable, different, and robust that many downsides are mitigated.

The law of supply and demand will always dictate pricing. Less CT's = higher rates
Tito would be a good option till the robots I service goes live.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Tito would be a good option till the robots I service goes live.
I quite agree! I'm even tempted to do this myself if I get my hands on the CT quick enough: Turo until robotaxis are live, the RT the rest of the time. Turo would be a quick way to recouped at least FSD costs in a short period!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I quite agree! I'm even tempted to do this myself if I get my hands on the CT quick enough: Turo until robotaxis are live, the RT the rest of the time. Turo would be a quick way to recouped at least FSD costs in a short period!
Some of us probably won’t get our CT till the robotaxi service is live. But it sure would be nice to get my CT earlier.

OP
OP

foxmaster7!

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag

-Crissa

-Crissa
Looks like TURO is the answer? However, maybe we can find a few in our group that are also willing to let the others share in the CT excitement for a fair but not outrageous price?

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Looks like TURO is the answer? However, maybe we can find a few in our group that are also willing to let the others share in the CT excitement for a fair but not outrageous price?
And thus, CyberTuro was born!!

TerryMack

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi All -

Thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

And when the renter wrecks it? Or when you wreck someone else's? Then what?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Then we all shed a tear and hope insurance covers it.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
Turo has insurance coverage for the owner. When you rent out your car, your app requires that you take and upload photos of every angle of the car and inside photos, and note the defects. The renter has to agree to the condition and photos provided before taking it. Upon return, the same exact process happens. Any additional issues with the vehicle are noted and reported to Turo. They have appropriate coverage based on what the owner selects when renting it out (important!!). The renter also picked their level of insurance to determine their level of liability in the event something happens.

Ex: owner says I want the best coverage, renter says I want the worst to save $. Renter gets in fender bender that's not covered, Turo then pursued renter personally for repairs and covers owner in the event they are unsuccessful.

I'm not an insurance agent, but I believe this is how it works from what was explained to me by the owner I rented through because he had that exact situation happen.
Sponsored