Rent out your CT to a family for a vacation?

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Hi, we’re still just doodling a possible roadtrip on the west coast of USA in the summer of 2022 or 2023. As it’s not sure the CT even gets to Norway it would have been really fun to rent a CT from one of you guys. We’re a family of four from Norway and used to Teslas. It would be for a week or two.

Actually we would need two as another family wants to come along....

I’m not sure I myself would like to rent out my CT, but curious if you would. And how would we make it safe and secure for both parties?

I know this is still very hypothetical anyway as the pandemics need to pause first and nobody knows when they’re getting the CT.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, I'm hoping to take mine on a vacation ^-^

Lending out a truck is pretty common, I've done that before, I don't know about renting, tho.

-Crissa

OP
OP

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Well, I'm hoping to take mine on a vacation ^-^

Lending out a truck is pretty common, I've done that before, I don't know about renting, tho.

-Crissa
Yes, with that kind of car I am in danger of you being on your own road trips ?

In that case I’ll chime in when there and see if I’m lucky enough to be able to meet up and see your CT somewhere at least ?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If/When I get mine I am happy to let Tesla owners drive it a bit, and non-Tesla owners sit in it, but I wouldn’t loan or rent any of my vehicles.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
As the saying goes, "Want a friend? Get a pickup truck"

Man, everyone will want to borrow the CT.

Years ago I stopped loaning out my pickup. My dad's neighbor asked to borrow my truck to "run some errands". I got the truck back with a slipping clutch. Turns out he towed his race car and car trailer to VIR to race for the weekend! 1400 miles!! Without even mentioning to us he was leaving state! The kevlar clutch was brand new and wasn't fully broken in, as a result, it would slip in high gear. He never paid for the clutch, either. Stuck me with $2500 repair.

A year ago my uncle asked to borrow the truck. I said no. My dad made me feel guilty and agreed to "pay for repairs". That cost him (actually me again) thousands!! Cracked dually fender, bent bumper and ripped tonneau cover. "It's really wide. And it has no back up camera." Not to mention, it smelled like burnt clutch. Again.

So, the answer is "no". I hate to sound like a grumpy old man, but no.

Now, I will rent it out to non family and friends. And those people will pay for damage they do. I've found that when I rent out my buses, and the client pays a damage deposit, they almost always want that deposit back.

OP
OP

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
As the saying goes, "Want a friend? Get a pickup truck"

Man, everyone will want to borrow the CT.

Years ago I stopped loaning out my pickup. My dad's neighbor asked to borrow my truck to "run some errands". I got the truck back with a slipping clutch. Turns out he towed his race car and car trailer to VIR to race for the weekend! 1400 miles!! Without even mentioning to us he was leaving state! The kevlar clutch was brand new and wasn't fully broken in, as a result, it would slip in high gear. He never paid for the clutch, either. Stuck me with $2500 repair.

A year ago my uncle asked to borrow the truck. I said no. My dad made me feel guilty and agreed to "pay for repairs". That cost him (actually me again) thousands!! Cracked dually fender, bent bumper and ripped tonneau cover. "It's really wide. And it has no back up camera." Not to mention, it smelled like burnt clutch. Again.

So, the answer is "no". I hate to sound like a grumpy old man, but no.

Now, I will rent it out to non family and friends. And those people will pay for damage they do. I've found that when I rent out my buses, and the client pays a damage deposit, they almost always want that deposit back.
Yes, I would suggest to do it formally with a deposit. There’s luckily no clutch on the CT and I cant see it being easily stolen or chopped for parts, but there’s small things that can happen with children in the car which should be reimbursed if it happens, plus it’s tempting to get off the road for a bit in it I guess which could lead to all sorts of minor marks.

That said, *personally* I’m very careful with other people’s cars because I’m so anal myself. And I only lend out my older ICE to friends, not my Tesla.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Short answer, yes I would rent mine out. Maybe I should focus on the European road trip market. :D

I was thinking about this recently. Is there any concern about registering the app for a non-owner?

I put a reservation in for a second one mostly for fun with the outside hope of using for rental purposes.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
I won't lend or rent mine out, too many foreseeable problems.

I would tell the person " its cheaper in the long run for you to rent a truck from an established company".

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
If/When I get mine I am happy to let Tesla owners drive it a bit, and non-Tesla owners sit in it, but I wouldn’t loan or rent any of my vehicles.
I don't even let my wife drive my MS, I eventually got her a MX so she wouldn't feel left out. I think she got curb rash on the wheels the first drive.

OP
OP

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Short answer, yes I would rent mine out. Maybe I should focus on the European road trip market. :D

I was thinking about this recently. Is there any concern about registering the app for a non-owner?

I put a reservation in for a second one mostly for fun with the outside hope of using for rental purposes.
Oh, I wouldn’t register the app on anybody else (unless they come up with a “guest” option in it in the future).

The very few times I’ve lent out my Model 3 (for family to test or for a guy to wash it) I give them the card. Only the wife and I have access to the car in the app. You can limit max speed, lock frunk and the glovebox with a pin, or set it in valet mode first (in the car or in the app during their ride). You can currently disable all this in the app too that’s why I wouldn’t share just that.

Actually getting the car to show up in my wife’s Tesla account as well wasn’t a very quick process at Tesla anyway.

Would be sweet if you could just share a time-limited digital key to an unrelated Tesla app on another phone in the future (like I can with my Home door lock).

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
OP
OP

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I didn’t know! Thanks! I added my wife before that apparently and it was an email process that took a week.

Still, I assume this gives full access as the article states “as an owner” and my point thus still stands whether one should give such access to temporary borrowers. Until there’s a granularity in that setting I think I would prefer to give out the key card. And immediately set “pin to drive” should they lose it or not return.
Sponsored