John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Going to be a sticker shock with required tire size especially after no oil change costs.

I turn into a crotchety old man when paying for consumables. ?
Sponsored

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
This is kind of irrelevant but I wanted to ask how loud massive tires like the ones on the Cybertruck are at speed? How comfortable are they (jittery, bumpy, etc)? Thanks for any help!

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have 35x12.5 nitto terra grappler g2's currently and love them in all respects so no concerns with CT on 35's....first set lasted like 55k miles....how many set's you really going to use to worry about replacement cost? and they dont cost any more than the wifes x5 tires or my model 3 perf tires....they just cost more than economy car tires....gotta pay to play....and as I tell my cheap Moto buddies...the tires are the only thing connecting you to Mother Earth, replace them when needed and keep in good shape or you are wasting your 180hp, your brembo brakes, handling, etc and risking your ass

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
depends on the tire's...there's some good ones out there that are non issues....the one's I referenced above, I've had good luck with toro's.....and depending upon your use case you can get a less dirt oriented tread and they're even better

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
This is kind of irrelevant but I wanted to ask how loud massive tires like the ones on the Cybertruck are at speed? How comfortable are they (jittery, bumpy, etc)? Thanks for any help!
They are noisy as hell and vibrate like crazy. They are not meant for pavement.

I used to run 33" BFG Mud Terrains on my old Toyota 4x4 ('86). People would turn to see who was coming down the road.....but man were they great in Denver snowstorms!

Even when I switched to all-terrains (not as aggressive), the were loud. They are also horrible on gas mileage.

The only sticker shock will be for people who haven't bought truck tires before.

And the price has definitely gone up. I used to get those mud terrains for $150/ea in the 90s. Last year I paid $700 just for four Model 3 tires.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They are noisy as hell and vibrate like crazy. They are not meant for pavement.
I’ve been wondering for a while what sort of wheel and tire options they would offer with the Cybertruck.

I want to be able to off-road, but it’s something like 2-3% of my total driving even with a truck. I’d much prefer more efficient, quieter tires that can handle light off-roading than the beasty looking tires on the demo.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’ve been wondering for a while what sort of wheel and tire options they would offer with the Cybertruck.

I want to be able to off-road, but it’s something like 2-3% of my total driving even with a truck. I’d much prefer more efficient, quieter tires that can handle light off-roading than the beasty looking tires on the demo.
Get a second set and just swap them out when needed. Folks in Colorado do that for winter/summer too.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Tire prices will probably be similar to other tires of the same size/quality. You will only have sticker shock if you aren't familiar with truck tires. They aren't cheap!

As far as ride, the bigger the sidewall makes for a more comfortable ride, while "handling" will suffer a bit. You can get same size tires with a more highway oriented tread that will be quieter, or a more traction oriented tire that will be louder on the highway. I'm pretty happy with my Yokohama Geolander AT GO15 tires in a 34" diameter. Pretty quiet, handle the rain and snow well and tread life is warrantied for 60k mi, IIRC.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
At launch Cybertruck sported a Wrangler face with brutalist sidewalls only a rock crawler could love - built by Goodyear!

I had the stock Goodyear Wrangler 32” on my 2003 Rubicon. They had road noise that hardly betrayed the aggressive tread lugs. inside cab noise was non- issue and that was a 2dr. ragtop Rubicon. I got to 33k thought I should replace( read wanted KO2’s) but theres was 5/32nds left. I mounted KO2’s at 40k ‘cuz I wanted to but could run them another 3k without risking hydroplaning.

The Goodyear Wrangler tread blocks continue down the sidewalls. You’ll never scrub a wheel against a concrete curb — IF Tesla fits smaller diameter rockcrawling wheels. Wrangler’s sidelugs grab a curb like a pro mountain climber before you know that you even close to a curb - your on top of it.

BFG KO2’s are 10 ply sidewall .v. Goodyear Wrangler 6 ply and definately heavier 66 lbs. ea. .vs. 61 lbs. for the Wrangler. Rubicon felt a loss of accelleration, stiffer sidewall turn-in and rough suspension quality. BFG=Brutes!

Wranglers=Softies! Lighter, grippier, luggier, larger width contact patch, and better fuel economy. Never punctured a sidewall or tread.

KO2 .v. Wrangler won only the towing award. KO2’s inflate to 60 psi and will tow anything your rig can hitch. Wranglers…iffy in the mountain curves as they start to ride sidewalls, limits how much weight you want pushing you through those corners.

I loved both. Knowing I would not need to tow I choose Goodyear. Best all-round MT tire. Towing? Nothing less than BFG 10 ply sidewall in mountains of Colo and Calif. Montana you’d think but KO2’s don’t clean out well enough for snow, mud and ? I’d tow KM3 next as an experiment I was in MT.

Both got over 40k mi., KO2’s still on the truck. If ride quality and surefooted off road handling Goodyear does it best.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
As far as ride, the bigger the sidewall makes for a more comfortable ride,
Oh, those high sides also reduce curb rash on the rims a LOT.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I have 35x12.5 nitto terra grappler g2's currently and love them in all respects so no concerns with CT on 35's....first set lasted like 55k miles....how many set's you really going to use to worry about replacement cost? and they dont cost any more than the wifes x5 tires or my model 3 perf tires....they just cost more than economy car tires....gotta pay to play....and as I tell my cheap Moto buddies...the tires are the only thing connecting you to Mother Earth, replace them when needed and keep in good shape or you are wasting your 180hp, your brembo brakes, handling, etc and risking your ass
Most mudders are loud. But the ones on the CT prototype in that backstage photo are not too bad. They're a hybrid mud/all terrain, though they're labeled as mudders. I've had that exact set on my Wrangler.
They're Goodyear Wrangler mt/r 35x12.5

At least that's what's in the backstage photo when they're throwing stuff at the windows. I'm not sure what custom tire they had in the reveal.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
My little Nissan van uses truck tire that are high as tire prices go but they are designed to carry the max payload the van can carry. I have pulled some pretty heavy trailers with the little beast and never had a tire issue. I run them until you can see the air in them.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Tyres are expensive because they're currently in short supply. Latex comes mostly from Thailand rubber trees, but many farmers have switched crops, because previous prices were low, and so rubber will be in short supply for years to come as the rubber trees take 6-7 years to mature.

As for tyre selection on the CT I really wonder how it will impact range.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
The big shock to the uninitiated will be how often you will likely have to replace the tires. The tires will be a standard size and you will be able to buy tires that are used by many other trucks out there. But due to the higher initial torque and how fun Teslas are, many Tesla owners wear their tires out between 20k and 30k miles. The truck tires have more tread depth and might last a little longer, but will still see reduced life if one has fun with their Tesla.
Sponsored